What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

34 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Right now Harsin is abt 7 losses per year

4-5 per year for 8 years is much worse, let's see how CBH's levels out 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I still see posters posting about Malzahns recruiting prowess. Yet he averaged 4.5 losses over 8 years. And his failure to recruit OL is legendary. Especially OT

His recruiting prowess is what directly lead to his firing and why we are where we are and why we struggled so mightily in year 1 under CBH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 3

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Bottomline: this job is too big for Bryan Harsin. 

When we hired him and a reporter asked him if he understood just how big the Iron Bowl is, he answered "absolutely I do. I've watched the Iron Bowl, or tried to, nearly every year. I also understand how big the rivalry is, not only against Alabama but against Georgia. I've coached at Texas so I fully understand what these rivalries are like." He was referring to his 1 year at Texas as OC and their rivalry with Oklahoma. When he said that, I was truly worried and immediately knew that he wasn't fully grasping what a big job he just took on. 

I don't completely blame him though. He probably did think he fully understood how big this job is. He has always been in the midwest and northwest. If we all moved to Boise, I'm sure we would be lost also. The difference is, we wouldn't be going there to be the Boise State head coach. He came here to be the Auburn head coach. Just looking at his expressions after games during the losing streak, he looked like a defeated man who was maybe questioning why he took this job. Especially walking off the field after the Iron Bowl. You could see he was mentally drained from not only that loss but the culmination of the past 12 months. 

I just truly feel that he is in over his head with this job. He doesn't grasp just how HUGE and cut throat recruiting is in this conference. Those stories prove it. Not showing up to high schools, not even calling the coaches at schools to just let them know who you are and try to plant that seed at these in-state high schools. Saying he would rather have 2 or 3 star kids that love football and not even go after alot of 4 or 5 star kids is just insane. 

Last thing is I've heard and read where he keeps preaching that "it's going to take a long time to set the culture, get everybody on board and that everybody has to know it won't be turned around quickly. It will take a few years." That should prove to everybody that he doesn't realize what he has gotten into. Coaches in this conference don't get years to turn it in the right direction, especially sandwiched between UGA and UAT. 

I just wonder if he had it to do over again, would he have taken this job. 

Sounds to me like you like listening to gossip and read from the twitter world, where we know all things are true.   

what you just wrote is what’s wrong with everything Auburn.    Expecting immediate results in year one.   Saying that a guy doesn’t get “it” because he is not from here.   Do you know how silly that he really sounds?   Every person that has ever played or coached knows the importance of playing.   It’s also narrow minded to think that being in SEc is the only way to truly understand what football is all about.   Has he made some mistakes, sure he has.   Is he going to fix them, I hope so for Auburn’s sake and for him.  If he doesn’t, auburn will move on and try someone else.    

remember this, auburn moved on from the last guy because he was average.    It takes some time to get past average and move into great.    

• Like 8
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

His recruiting prowess is what directly lead to his firing and why we are where we are and why we struggled so mightily in year 1 under CBH

💯.  OL  recruiting was terrible. Class rankings are great and all but needs have to be met 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

And what did that yield?

Eight consecutive years without a losing season. Sadly, Harsin managed to break that streak in his first try.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was truly only deficient in one area.

Now we have someone who is equally as bad getting OL and worse across the board....and doesn't seem to under stand how relationship work

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

remember this, auburn moved on from the last guy because he was average.    It takes some time to get past average and move into great.

Harsin dropped past average and moved down into a losing season. Most would think that's heading in the wrong direction.

Three new head coaches were hired in the SEC last season. Tennessee hired a new coach. They went from 3-7 to 7-6. South Carolina hired a new coach They went from 2-8 to 7-6. Auburn hired a new coach. AU went from 6-5 to 6-7. Two of these teams headed in the right direction. One headed in the wrong direction. You "give him eight years" folks need to look and see whose team got worse.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Harsin dropped past average and moved down into a losing season. Most would think that's heading in the wrong direction.

Three new head coaches were hired in the SEC last season. Tennessee hired a new coach. They went from 3-7 to 7-6. South Carolina hired a new coach They went from 2-8 to 7-6. Auburn hired a new coach. AU went from 6-5 to 6-7. Two of these teams headed in the right direction. One headed in the wrong direction. You "give him eight years" folks need to look and see whose team got worse.

Yeah one is hard to judge someone. I'm nit pleased with it and it needs to change. Year 2 is when judgement can be ratcheted up...especially with the portal and ability to fill holes.

USC did well with protal transfers. Not sure about UT. We're probably at a D grade at best.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, what is your solution?

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Harsin’s one 6-7 season doesn’t mean anymore long term than Gus’s one 12 win season. Coaches deserve to be judged on their whole body of work and not one season. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Pat Fossum said:

So, what is your solution?

At this point, let Harsin have another year. In the meantime, be working on a short list of replacements should AU do the expected and finish 4-8 or 5-7 in 2022.

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Harsin’s one 6-7 season doesn’t mean anymore long term than Gus’s one 12 win season. Coaches need to be judged on their whole body of work and not one season. 

When one considers that the 2020 team finished 6-5 versus all major opponents and the 2021 team finished 3-7 versus major opponents, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about. From 6-5 to 3-7 is quite a drop.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He was truly only deficient in one area.

Now we have someone who is equally as bad getting OL and worse across the board....and doesn't seem to under stand how relationship work

One area? Roster management...player utilization...OL recruiting... passing concepts...Player development...

There is absolutely no way to call it equal. Zero.  If after 8 years, CBH hasn't recruited the OL effectively, then you can say that. After 14 months, you can't logically reach that conclusion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Mikey said:

When one considers that the 2020 team finished 6-5 versus all major opponents and the 2021 team finished 3-7 versus major opponents, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about. From 6-5 to 3-7 is quite a drop.

Almost like wining 12 games and having a string of top 10 recruiting classes right before a 23-16 record the next 3 seasons. And  since you're cherry picking which games to count, take off 2020s Arky and Ole Miss wins that were gifted to us. That makes your 6-5 a 4-7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

At this point, let Harsin have another year. In the meantime, be working on a short list of replacements should AU do the expected and finish 4-8 or 5-7 in 2022.

I see. I think you give him at least to the end of the 2023 season and no further than end of 2024 if they are clearly not headed in a positive direction/there has not been significant improvement. It will take a little time. I'm not a fan of letting him go after the 2022 season unless he loses the locker room like Chizik did in 2012. I believe he's going to make the changes necessary in recruiting to right the ship but we'll see.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Immediate records after a regime change might not be the best metric to evaluate a coaching hire. 3-9 to 12-2 didn't prove to be very determining

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is absolutely no way to call it equal. Zero.  If after 8 years, CBH hasn't recruited the OL effectively, then you can say that. After 14 months, you can't logically reach that conclusion.

One conclusion can certainly be reached. After 1 & 1/2 recruiting cycles, Harsin has done nothing to correct the situation.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

One conclusion can certainly be reached. After 1 & 1/2 recruiting cycles, Harsin has done nothing to correct the situation.

You're right,  I 100% agree. After 8 years of ignoring the OL, CBH, in 14 months, has not fixed the situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Almost like wining 12 games and having a string of top 10 recruiting classes right before a 23-16 record the next 3 seasons. And  since you're cherry picking which games to count, take off 2020s Arky and Ole Miss wins that were gifted to us. That makes your 6-5 a 4-7. 

I'm not cherry picking. For both seasons, I counted only games against major opponents. Also, nobody can "what if" results. The scoreboard is all that counts.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You're right,  I 100% agree. After 8 years of ignoring the OL, CBH, in 14 months has not fixed the situation.

So, when does Harsin start to correct the situation? Recently I posted class that includes some current players in which Gus signed five OL prospects. When will Harsin get five?

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Just looking at his expressions after games during the losing streak, he looked like a defeated man who was maybe questioning why he took this job.

If this was true or any of the stuff you spewed, wouldn't he have walked out the door over the insanity the last couple of weeks? So much ridiculous assumptions in this post. He has doubled down that he wants to be here and see it through as the coach at Auburn. You might think he isn't the right guy for the job, but don't go just making things up smh.

Edited by DAG

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree with everything you said regarding Gus. I just dont understand why, knowing the roster issues, Auburn would hire a coach who was an unknown in recruiting. Harsin may or may not get better in this area, but while  the program waits it gets further and further behind rival schools who continue stockpiling talent. Which will make it harder for Auburn to compete on the field, this making it even harder to recruit top players here.  Ive never seen recruiting in this conference as competitive as it is today and it just seems we totally missed the boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1