What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree, and I think it’s clear from the article in this thread that he’s being strategic. Whether his strategy is sound is certainly still up for debate. 

Harsin needs to recruit and get to the high schools . That's obvious. But how many times did Gus go after top notch linemen , only to see them go to Bama or GA. Then he had no fall back plan. I agree totally with your post

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree, and I think it’s clear from the article in this thread that he’s being strategic. Whether his strategy is sound is certainly still up for debate. 

What strategy would that be?

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude is just trying to run out the clock. He just wants his money and will be here until he gets it. Rane and Harbert are just wasting another year of us falling behind our rivals by not having had the end result be firing him and hitting the reset and refresh button a couple of weeks ago. They want him gone but apparently not bad enough. I mean I get it. It is not our money. It is their's and they just got done holding the bag on the huge Gus buy out they will be paying for awhile.

giphy.gif

Not only did they pay to get rid of Gus, they were completely shut out of the hiring of a coach they didnt want(for good reason it appears). I havnt seen a roster shrivel like this since Terry Bowden was here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

What strategy would that be?

He’s spending time in some schools as opposed to others. Seems like he’s prioritizing. The why behind it is beyond me. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

He’s spending time in some schools as opposed to others. Seems like he’s prioritizing. The why behind it is beyond me. 

The one that irks me is Tomarrion Parker from Phenix City that had us leading in the Fall, and now not even in his top 5 because Harsin couldn’t be bothered to make the 45 minute drive to visit him. That’s pure ******* laziness. 

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s obvious that CBH needs to improve significantly with high school coach relationships and visit more. But to your point, a lot of these schools haven’t been AU feeders in years if ever. There’s also a history of kids from certain schools visiting Bama a lot and the one weekend they’re supposed to visit AU they suddenly can’t find a ride. That’s been happening long before CBH was here. 

And.... That's something we hoped a new coach would correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The one that irks me is Tomarrion Parker from Phenix City that had us leading in the Fall, and now not even in his top 5 because Harsin couldn’t be bothered to make the 45 minute drive to visit him. That’s pure ******* laziness. 

I agree that it’s one way to look at it. 

The good news is this is something that can be fixed. It is not that he is doing a full court press and failing. It sounds like there needs to be a change in his "strategy." IMO, it comes with showing more initiative. I get he wants a "certain" type of player but even so, he needs to be in there  making those foundational relationships outside of the realm of just football. This is not the NFL.

That is why I always use to laugh when people would say Nick Saban isn't a good head coach. He is just a good recruiter lol. Umm that is what being a good head coach is at this level. The ability to get players here and to surround yourself with the staff to follow up with your vision and game plan. It sounds like it is the other way around with CBH.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

The good news is this is something that can be fixed. It is not that he is doing a full court press and failing. It sounds like there needs to be a change in his "strategy." IMO, it comes with showing more initiative. I get he wants a "certain" type of player but even so, he needs to be in there  making those foundational relationships outside of the realm of just football. This is not the NFL.

Couldn’t have said it better.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And.... That's something we hoped a new coach would correct.

And he might. He’s in year 2. The last guy didn’t change it much after 8 years. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yep it has only been one year. These things are very much fixable and I see it occurring now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tigers23 said:

I have close ties to Thompson High School and have been complaining for months that he has never stepped foot on the campus. Literally every other coach in the SEC has been there, most multiple times. It's absolutely inexcusable 

The coaching staff not going to some random 1A school is understandable but not stepping foot on Thompson campus is inexcusable with all the talent they’ve been putting out

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, McLoofus said:

Good and balanced read, IMO. Might challenge a lot of folks' assumptions all the way across the spectrum of opinions on Harsin.

Absolutely baffling 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Can’t chalk not visiting these schools up to laziness. That’s not Harsin. 

Then it's ignorance and incompetence. It's a continuation of him not building relationships, skipping coaching events, etc.

It's further proof he doesn't get SEC recruiting. He comes from BSU where he doesn't have to do much go pick up the scraps and the leftovers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Then it's ignorance and incompetence. It's a continuation of him not building relationships, skipping coaching events, etc.

It's further proof he doesn't get SEC recruiting. He comes from BSU where he doesn't have to do much go pick up the scraps and the leftovers.

It’s head scratching, no doubt. 

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Maybe he’s meeting some Tennessee coaches while taking the flight /s

A coach showing he can learn, adapt, and evolve. 

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The last guy hit the ground running. #8 in recruiting his first year, #9 his second year. That's competitive with the rest of the SEC. Harsin's #18 is not competitive.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2014/all-teams/football

The article talked about the Mars Hill Bible coach saying Harsin and Kiesau came to his school and Harsin wouldn't leave. He talked for 90 minutes. I live 10 minutes from Mars Hill Bible and they're a small school. 

Here is where I've got a problem with his recruiting; Mars Hill is literally 5 minutes from Florence High School. Florence has a cornerback named Jahlil Hurley that's a 5 star. He's the #3 cornerback in the 2023 class and #19 overall player in the nation. Harsin stayed at Mars Hill shooting the breeze for 90 minutes and NEVER stopped by Florence to talk with Jahlil or the coach. This has been known for awhile by players parents and coaches that he didn't drive 1 mile from Mars Hill to Florence High to talk with him. And we had an offer out to him. Auburn, Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Texas A&M to name a few offered him. A few days ago Jahlil chose Alabama and said he is "1000% committed." 

That's why I say that I don't think Harsin fully grasps just how important and 24/7/365 recruiting is. One would think that he could've cut the Mars Hill visit down to 30 or 45 minutes and then he and Kiesau drive 1 mile to FHS to talk and introduce themselves to Jahlil. He had an offer from us but Harsin never met or talked with Jahlil. Zac Etheridge did that part. 

Stuff like that is what worries me about Harsin. 

Roc Thomas came to here to play Florence High on a friday night. I was there and before halftime Gus and Tim Horton came and stood on the sidelines and watched for 45 minutes. They flew here to Florence to see Roc on a friday night and then flew back to Auburn and coached the next day. That's the dedication it takes to coach and recruit in the SEC.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

The article talked about the Mars Hill Bible coach saying Harsin and Kiesau came to his school and Harsin wouldn't leave. He talked for 90 minutes. I live 10 minutes from Mars Hill Bible and they're a small school. 

Here is where I've got a problem with his recruiting; Mars Hill is literally 5 minutes from Florence High School. Florence has a cornerback named Jahlil Hurley that's a 5 star. He's the #3 cornerback in the 2023 class and #19 overall player in the nation. Harsin stayed at Mars Hill shooting the breeze for 90 minutes and NEVER stopped by Florence to talk with Jahlil or the coach. This has been known for awhile by players parents and coaches that he didn't drive 1 mile from Mars Hill to Florence High to talk with him. And we had an offer out to him. Auburn, Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Texas A&M to name a few offered him. A few days ago Jahlil chose Alabama and said he is "1000% committed." 

That's why I say that I don't think Harsin fully grasps just how important and 24/7/365 recruiting is. One would think that he could've cut the Mars Hill visit down to 30 or 45 minutes and then he and Kiesau drive 1 mile to FHS to talk and introduce themselves to Jahlil. He had an offer from us but Harsin never met or talked with Jahlil. Zac Etheridge did that part. 

Stuff like that is what worries me about Harsin. 

Roc Thomas came to here to play Florence High on a friday night. I was there and before halftime Gus and Tim Horton came and stood on the sidelines and watched for 45 minutes. They flew here to Florence to see Roc on a friday night and then flew back to Auburn and coached the next day. That's the dedication it takes to coach and recruit in the SEC.

Team. Sorry, but Harsin and Kiesau did go by to see Hurley at Florence. There are pictures on the  Florence HS AD twitter of them visiting same day they visited Higgins at Mars Hill. Saban is the one who didn't visit Mars Hill when he went to visit Hurley at Florence.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I still see posters posting about Malzahns recruiting prowess. Yet he averaged 4.5 losses over 8 years. And his failure to recruit OL is legendary. Especially OT

And now we're recruiting lower talent overall and still drastically underwhelming bringing in OL talent 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I still see posters posting about Malzahns recruiting prowess. Yet he averaged 4.5 losses over 8 years. And his failure to recruit OL is legendary. Especially OT

Right now Harsin is abt 7 losses per year

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1