What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

Just now, Mikey said:

The start is not impressive.

Tennessee's new coach took them from 3-7 to 7-6. South Carolina's new coach took them from 2-8 to 7-6. Auburn's new coach took them from 6-5 to 6-7. One of these three things is different from the other two. Can you tell which is different?

Is this the part where I say we would have won 9 games if Bo didn't get Hurt? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

36 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The NFL combine is happening right now. Over 80 players from the SEC were invited. Exactly 3 were from Auburn. Good enough for dead last in the SEC West. For perspective Ole Miss had 8 and Arky had 5. It’s far more embarrassing for me to see that list and see us at the bottom of it that it is to have one losing season.  That list reflects player development and that falls squarely 100% on the previous coach. You can believe Harsin ain’t the right guy and may be right. And you can believe Gus was a swell guy. But if we don’t change the trajectory of that list more losing seasons are headed our way no matter who the coach is. 

I agree with you but its worth noting the players who chose to return for another season who would have been in the combine. I can’t help but see good players who choose to return for another season a positive reflection of the program. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is it? My prediction pre-season was 10-2, based on returning talent and the alleged better coaching that was supposed to exist. That didn't come close to happening.

Injuries are a part of football. Why better talent than Finley wasn't ready to contribute is an indication of something missing in the coaching department. D. Davis should have been ready to go and there's no reason why a guy with his high school accomplishments shouldn't have been able to take over by mid-season.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Is it? My prediction pre-season was 10-2, based on returning talent and the alleged better coaching that was supposed to exist. That didn't come close to happening.

Injuries are a part of football. Why better talent than Finley wasn't ready to contribute is an indication of something missing in the coaching department. D. Davis should have been ready to go and there's no reason why a guy with his high school accomplishments shouldn't have been able to take over by mid-season.

Ok, so drive down to Auburn and demand u see improvement this year. I don't know what else to tell ya. And if u don't see improvement,  cut a check for Harsin buyout 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If it is, it's the part where I say that we should've done everything in our power to keep him on board. If we had been able to keep most everyone, 9-4 this year would be looking incredibly doable--and if we were doing well in recruiting on top of that, very few of us would still be mad about how 2021 turned out.

And spare me the "but Pat Dye ran off everyone his first year, it's a culture change!" We stole several high profile recruits from right under the Bahr's nose his first recruiting class and then won 9 games his second year.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I agree with you but its worth noting the players who chose to return for another season who would have been in the combine. I can’t help but see good players who choose to return for another season a positive reflection of the program. 

I too see their willingness to return as a positive. But a lot of teams have guys choosing to return. Let’s say Hall and Wooden declared and were invited. We would still be even with Arky and behind Kentucky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is the part where I remind you that Bo starting almost caused us to lose to Georgia State? Bo was very inconsistent. Your claim of 9 wins with Bo is spurious. We don't know. What we do know is that we didn't see significant Improvement and only time will tell whether we do this year. Harsin will have his work cut out for him with a q b battle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

You can have the most powerful, skilled, and fearless army ever assembled, but if 60% of it is phoning it in then you can't expect the results your personnel is capable of.

Now I understand the disappointment, but we also have to be a little retrospective and understand the situation Harsin inherited based on the information that has come out over the last year. But you also have to read between the lines. What does D. Davis not taking over mid-season really mean? If your automatic response is to say it's a failure of the staff to develop him, you're not being very intellectually honest, because we do not have the information to conclude such... Just look at Malik Willis. Everyone laments that he didn't stay, but would he be where he is today had he done so? Or would he still be riding the 3-deep on Auburn's roster because he didn't apply himself?

Put down the pitchfork.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

D. Davis should have been ready to go and there's no reason why a guy with his high school accomplishments shouldn't have been able to take over by mid-season.

At some point ppl realize HS doesn't mean s*** once they get to the SEC. 

Lamo at claiming a TrFr that was a low end 4* should be ready by mid season. Damn clueless. He's not even going to be ready this year 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

If it is, it's the part where I say that we should've done everything in our power to keep him on board. If we had been able to keep most everyone, 9-4 this year would be looking incredibly doable--and if we were doing well in recruiting on top of that, very few of us would still be mad about how 2021 turned out.

And spare me the "but Pat Dye ran off everyone his first year, it's a culture change!" We stole several high profile recruits from right under the Bahr's nose his first recruiting class and then won 9 games his second year.

If after 3 years marked improvement isn't shown,  I will be the first to say a change needs to be made. But to say the program is headed into an abyss and a change needs to be made after 1 year is not only short sighted but ridiculous 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Is the part where I remind you that Bo starting almost caused us to lose to Georgia State? Bo was very inconsistent. Your claim of 9 wins with Bo is spurious. We don't know. What we do know is that we didn't see significant Improvement and only time will tell whether we do this year. Harsin will have his work cut out for him with a q b battle

I agree with the QB battle. It's the single most important decision Harsin will have to make thus far in his AU tenure 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The start is not impressive.

Tennessee's new coach took them from 3-7 to 7-6. South Carolina's new coach took them from 2-8 to 7-6. Auburn's new coach took them from 6-5 to 6-7. One of these three things is different from the other two. Can you tell which is different?

Unlike them we didn't really overhaul the roster until after the first year. UTK had a ton of haul over, and Beamer brought in a bunch of guys. Harsin rolled with Gus's old players that had won 6 games the year prior. Bad fit.

Tennessee fans were like us thinking they may not be able to field a team. Turns out all the guys that stuck around were bought in. We had a buy in problem last year. At least Harsin finally realized he also had to purge. The problem is that he hasn't brought in enough guys, at least yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shabby said:

Thx. I'll never understand the Bo definitely bring us wins stuff. Maybe it would, and maybe it wouldn't. That's the entire point we don't know.

Teams may have had Bo figured out but used a different game plan because he wasn't the QB. When he was the qb all you had to do was be very aggressive in the secondary and dare him to throw deep and contain in your pass rush scheme. That may have been up the defenders ally

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree with the QB battle. It's the single most important decision Harsin will have to make thus far in his AU tenure 

He made the same decision last season too ( stats indicate he made the right one I-might add). This is a decision block that many HCs will have to make each season (much more than in the past due to Portal).

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let’s not forget that if QB1 isn’t performing well Harsin isn’t afraid to sit him and adjust the game plan in order to win. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'll never understand the Bo definitely bring us wins stuff.

The familiarity, chemistry, and abilities that Nix brought to the table, IMO, would've led to a couple more wins over Finley who, although capable, was still learning.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The familiarity, chemistry, and abilities that Nix brought to the table, IMO, would've led to a couple more wins over Finley who, although capable, was still learning.

Chemistry with who? I won't pretend that I can say it definitely would not but once again people trying to compare the exact same scenarios are wrong, it doesn't work like that. Would have been a game plan exactly for Bo. And from what Bo has showed it's more likely he won't perform but if he does have a good showing maybe. But nothing definite imo. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Chemistry with who? I won't pretend that I can say it definitely would not but once again people trying to compare the exact same scenarios are wrong, it doesn't work like that. Would have been a game plan exactly for Bo. And from what Bo has showed it's more likely he won't perform but if he does have a good showing maybe. But nothing definite imo. 

He did have the best streak of 4 or so games he's had his entire career leading up to his injury. He had a lot of quality games vs Arkansas, Ole Miss, State, and bad Aggies game. 

I'll buy him being bad vs Bama vs he wasnt really ever good vs good teams, but USC and Houston aren't good. He had been playing much better than what Finley did in those games 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

You can have the most powerful, skilled, and fearless army ever assembled, but if 60% of it is phoning it in then you can't expect the results your personnel is capable of.

If 60% of a team is phoning it in there's something bad wrong with the coaching. Harsin was there through spring practice, summer workouts and fall camp. He was there when the team started the season 6-2. If players suddenly started phoning it in over the last third of the season, that's on coaching.

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

You talk like Nix never accomplished anything. In three years, he broke AU's career yardage record that was set by a four-year starter. The guy was and is a good QB. I understand that you're bitter over your man Gatewood being a bust but the constant belittling of Nix with unjustified comments is a thing you should try to get over.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

You talk like Nix never accomplished anything. In three years, he broke AU's career yardage record that was set by a four-year starter. The guy was and is a good QB. I understand that you're bitter over your man Gatewood being a bust but the constant belittling of Nix with unjustified comments is a thing you should try to get over.

I'm not going to argue with anybody who wants to pretend a qb that can't pass consistently 10 yards down field to be good

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He did have the best streak of 4 or so games he's had his entire career leading up to his injury. He had a lot of quality games vs Arkansas, Ole Miss, State, and bad Aggies game. 

Don't forget the LSU game where he pretty much single-handedly ended the LSU losing streak.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Don't forget the LSU game where he pretty much single-handedly ended the LSU losing streak.

Overall he played pretty poorly.  Stats back that up.  His running ability probably won that game more than being a typical QB

• Facepalm 1

58 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Overall he played pretty poorly.  Stats back that up.  His running ability probably won that game more than being a typical QB

His running ability is a major part of his game. There's nothing wrong with that. I can't count how many key 1st downs and TD's we got because of Nix's running ability. You speak as if his running ability is a bad thing. Quite the contrary, it's a very, very good thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

His running ability is a major part of his game. There's nothing wrong with that. I can't count how many key 1st downs and TD's we got because of Nix's running ability. You speak as if his running ability is a bad thing. Quite the contrary, it's a very, very good thing.

You're reading it wrong.  His QB performance was bad, but he ran well.  It's not a negative.