What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's not flawed. I watched Malzahn pick his nose and run up the middle on 3rd and 3 too many times to count. But folks want to run Harsin after 1 year. At least give him time to get his own players and install his system.

This makes too much sense. Apparently they don't like throwing to the tight end or throwing over the middle, or proper NFL teaching methods... They've seen enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

So the 3 wins you excluded from CBH didn’t have scoreboards?  Let it go @Mikey  CGM ain’t our coach anymore. If he had done better he would still be here. He didn’t and he’s not. It’s CBHs turn. He deserves time to move our program forward. One season, no matter how good or bad is not an accurate predictor of future success or failure. 

I excluded "gimme" games against non-major opponents. This isn't about Gus. It's about the Auburn team going from 6-5 against major opponents in 2020 to 3-7 against major opponents in 2021.

It's about our new coach taking a team from 6-5 to 6-7 while Tennessee's new coach takes them from 3-7 to 7-6 and South Carolina's new coach takes them from 2-8 to 7-6. Harsin was left with a much stronger roster than those two new coaches were. Why didn't he improve AU's record?

The 247 site has a ranking of team's success in bringing in new talent through the transfer portal. Four SEC teams are in the top ten. AU is 29th.

Our regular recruiting is ranked 9th in the SEC.

There has been nothing but fruit-basket turnover in the coaching staff.

Point me to just one aspect of the AU football program that is in better shape today than it was 14 months ago. In 14 months, there should be some indication of at least a start, an effort, to improve some areas. I don't see anything that could be called positive progress and yes, 14 months is plenty enough time to at least make a start.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

General question for you.. Say we fired Harsin this past year or after the coming season. Hire someone else , get the same or similar results after 1 year with that Coach, then What? Just keep canning coaches after 1 year. I just don't understand how that helps AU long term. 

The average SEC team that fires a head football coach goes through four or five before they hit on one they are satisfied with. As soon as one indicates he's not up to the job, best to move him on out and try the next guy.

Keeping a loser just because it's "too soon" to make a change doesn't make any sense. That's just prolonging the agony.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Point me to just one aspect of the AU football program that is in better shape today than it was 14 months ago.

Scheme...player development...player utilization... accountability... responsibility...Football IQ...attitude... strength

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The average SEC team that fires a head football coach goes through four or five before they hit on one they are satisfied with. As soon as one indicates he's not up to the job, best to move him on out and try the next guy.

Keeping a loser just because it's "too soon" to make a change doesn't make any sense. That's just prolonging the agony.

So Dye is fired...

1. Terry 

2. Tubs 

3. Chiz

4. Gus 

5. Harsin

Looks like we are right on track...

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, bigbird said:

So what would would keeping a loser out of fear of the unknown be called?

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Bird, I like and respect you and your opinions. You're easily one of my favorite birds, along with fried chicken and Howard the Duck. 

But it's fair that people are frustrated with Harsin. He's getting another year and we will cheer for him because he is Auburn's coach. He might turn it around. 

But the last few months have been miserable. He's whiffed across the board. The portal is a unique and new opportunity and he has blown it thus far.

I truly can't believe some are defending one OL signee in the 2022 class and you are liking their posts. We all know he's a first year coach and we all heard about Covid. That is simply no excuse. Check out the 2 other new SEC coaches. They signed more OL, at schools where it's harder to recruit, and it's almost certainly less of a need. 

He can be tough, disciplined, and great at X's and O's. It won't matter if he can't get the players. And another concern is he will leave the next guy with a pitiful roster. 

Being frustrated and constant gnashing and weeping of teeth about every little thing are two different things. Surely, you can understand that. The offensive line is definitely a great issue to be frustrated with but don't amplify that unto all things Auburn football. I am sorry that you are miserable. I won't be miserable till I at least see how things somewhat play out toward the season. In respect to Bird, unlike some posters, Bird has done his best to be objective. He has also liked post critiquing him of not going to every high school possible. I also don't think he is defending one offensive lineman. I believe he is defending the fact that he needs more time to see this through. Of course Bird can speak for himself.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well that may true, but who was the last 1 that was fired after 1 year? I've been critical of some of Harsins game day decisions , recruiting  etc.. But, after he gave the middle finger to AU brass and didn't jump ship, I'm convinced he deserves time to implement his system and ways. Most said the power brokers at AU need to be held in check for meddling . If Harsin is successful,  that will be the first part to that happening . Short term pain. Long term gain.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

I like him, absolutely love the FU attitude. Goes against the grain, not a yes boy or an apologist. Don't give a rats azz about social media post and does don't let the media run his program or his locker room. I sure as hell would follow him into battle. Might even get killed but it sure as hell would be a fun way to go. 

6 hours ago, cbo said:

But it's fair that people are frustrated with Harsin. He's getting another year and we will cheer for him because he is Auburn's coach. He might turn it around. 

We all are generally frustrated with the football program as a whole. It’s not were it could or should be. But what Im seeing is a few folks here more interested in finding issues to pile on Harsin. The whole program has issues and has had those well before Harsin got here. That’s not say that CBH does not have his own issues to fix but maybe with a little more time and support things will get better. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

How many schools were having visitors during Covid?

Bruh he didn't even zoom with them.

The excuse making for a coach a losing record is absolutely amazing. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Point me to just one aspect of the AU football program that is in better shape today than it was 14 months ago

We beat 2 ranked teams in 2021 vs none in 2020

We took Bama to overtime in 2021 instead of being blown out by halftime in 2020

We lost to a USCe team with a winning record in 2021 unlike losing to a 2 win USCe team in 2020

We beat LSU in Baton Rouge for the first time in 20 years 

Baby steps

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

General question for you.. Say we fired Harsin this past year or after the coming season. Hire someone else , get the same or similar results after 1 year with that Coach, then What? Just keep canning coaches after 1 year. I just don't understand how that helps AU long term. 

I think where you are seeing the frustration from some fans is how Harsin is going about it.  I agree, one year is not long enough.  I don't think really any of us wanted him gone with the exception of a few that held resentment from Malzahn being fired until the allegations popped up.  At that point we started to learn how some of the coaches that were not from his own Boise State tree were being treated.  Just last week on the Eagles Nest WDE gave us insight to what Eason said to Dabo in his interview of the coaching culture here.

What also gives us concern is his recruiting strategy.  I said in a post a few weeks ago how Harsin is not putting emphasis on the top recruits, that he has always believes he can outcoach anyone.  I think those that disagreed with me at that point in time now know what I said is true, but I will also say I hold hope Harsin will change this mindset.  It was a great step forward in retaining Etheridge and I have heard great things about his other hires as well.

I have been very hard on Harsin the last few weeks.  I am also hoping he turns things around here though too.  Only time will tell, but he needs a major win in the 2023 recruiting class to keep me on board as well as keep Auburn bowl eligible.  I will still be in the stands this season rooting for him and this team.

Edited by abw0004
Grammatical Error
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bruh he didn't even zoom with them.

The excuse making for a coach a losing record is absolutely amazing. 

Just shut up with your stupid  narrative about everything is excuse making.  Clearly you have no ability to be objective at this point in anY discussion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Just shut up with your stupid  narrative about everything is excuse making.  Clearly you have no ability to be objective at this point in anY discussion.

Look at you triggered now attacking posters.  So flustered you can't have a damn conversation.  Jesus.  Smh

I'm a fan of plenty of Harsin's abilities.  I just don't stick my head in the sand and can actually address pros and cons of how he's running the program.

I've agree with many ppl that he shouldn't be judged of 6-7 in year 1.  I've lamented about how with healthy QB I think we win 9/10 games & he's up for COY awards and we're looking at it a lot differently right now.

There are good things and bad.  I'm sorry you've anointed yourself protector of Bryan.  No I will not "shut up".

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 1:25 PM, oracle79 said:

How many individual high schools are in Alabama? Georgia? Florida?

It'll be interesting how this works out, because it doesn't seem like he is a star gazer. He'll do his own evaluation, and he's not gonna take a kid that doesn't fit his culture. 

The problem is that part of the job is molding kids into young men.  Part of coaching them up is teaching them and figuring how how each responds to coaching.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

So Dye is fired...

1. Terry 

2. Tubs 

3. Chiz

4. Gus 

5. Harsin

Looks like we are right on track...

We're talking about unsuccessful coaches. Bowden's record was 47-17-1. Hardly unsuccessful. Tuberville had a good ten year run. Very successful overall. Before he crashed and burned, Chizik won an SEC championship and a national championship at Auburn. Gus got us into a national championship game, won an SEC championship and never had a losing season in eight years. All of the coaches you've mentioned had some big successes. They don't fit the norm and yes, AU, up until Harsin, has been very lucky and has beaten the averages.

While the jury is still out on Harsin. there is little indication that he'll be around to coach AU for the 2023 season. Unless, of course, nobody wants to pay the buyout and he gets another year after going 4-8 in 2022.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Look at you triggered now attacking posters.  So flustered you can't have a damn conversation.  Jesus.  Smh

I'm a fan of plenty of Harsin's abilities.  I just don't stick my head in the sand and can actually address pros and cons of how he's running the program.

I've agree with many ppl that he shouldn't be judged of 6-7 in year 1.  I've lamented about how with healthy QB I think we win 9/10 games & he's up for COY awards and we're looking at it a lot differently right now.

There are good things and bad.  I'm sorry you've anointed yourself protector of Bryan.  No I will not "shut up".

I guess I had u pegged wrong. I would have sworn from what I read u wanted him gone

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Scheme...player development...player utilization... accountability... responsibility...Football IQ...attitude... strength

You're daydreaming. Had these things actually happened, AU wouldn't have had a losing record last season. Harsin inherited a roster with enough talent to have an excellent season. We all know that didn't happen.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess I had u pegged wrong. I would have sworn from what I read u wanted him gone

I wanted the investigation to play out.  I don't like things about him, but do like things about him.  I think he can be successful if he adjusts.  I'm not sure I've seen that yet.  It's best for Auburn if he can figure out how to operate in the SEC

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You're daydreaming. Had these things actually happened, AU wouldn't have had a losing record last season. Harsin inherited a roster with enough talent to have an excellent season. We all know that didn't happen.

Lets be real.  We had a losing record b/c our staring QB broke his ankle in the 2nd Quarter of the MSU game and our offense was completely ineffective from that point forward, which caused us to lose like 800 games in a row.

If Bo didn't break his ankle, we'd actually score vs MSU & maybe give the defense a break.  We'd beat USC, probably Bama, definitely Houston.  We're knocking on the door of an extremely good season

We all harp on OL, but QB was just as bad with respect to recruiting and development as the OL.  Losing Bo and we had absolutely nothing left over.  Harsin can't fix that in year 1.

Bo wasn't amazing, but he developed more in his 9 months with Bobo/Harsin than he did the nearly 3 years under Gus.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3