how many christians are pro putin?

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I love,,, love.  The love of Jesus is the answer.

Unfortunately, the guy that wrote the song emphatically states that he is NOT a Christian.

1 minute ago, auburn41 said:

Unfortunately, the guy that wrote the song emphatically states that he is NOT a Christian.

He may not be but, he certainly helped influence and strengthen my faith.  Are you familiar with Bart Ehrman?

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

He may not be but, he certainly helped influence and strengthen my faith.  Are you familiar with Bart Ehrman?

Nope

11 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Nope

He is a former fundamentalist, evangelical preacher.  When faced with questions about the Bible he could not answer, he left his ministry and enrolled in an Ivy League divinity school.  He has become professor and expert in ancient language and Biblical origins/history. 

Although he has lost his faith, I enjoy listening to/reading his work.  It reminds me that the basis for faith is Jesus in your heart, not the Bible in your head. 

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

The Russian Orthodox Church - a Christian church - is pro Putin and vice versa. 

History repeating itself.  The Church, worldwide has failed Christ at very critical moments.

Sadly, being a Christian does not mean one is a follower of Christ.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, autigeremt said:

Very true....though I would add that churches should spend 99% of their time on the New Testament and 1% on the historical significance of the Old text. 

Amen to that.  Far too many believe that the Bible is the word of God from cover to cover.  It is not.  The Old Testament is full of historical accounts that have little to do with the word of God as we know it to be.

Russia has a history of problems with their Muslim minorities.  They have had to deal with terrorism based in areas where those minorities feel unfairly treated.  I am not surprised to read that they have mistreated other non mainstream religions.  They mistreat anyone and everyone that does not fully support the Kremlin.

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Amen to that.  Far too many believe that the Bible is the word of God from cover to cover.  It is not.  The Old Testament is full of historical accounts that have little to do with the word of God as we know it to be.

As does the New Testament.  I do believe the Bible reveals the spirit of Jesus and, who He wants us to be.  Sadly, we Christians too often pick and choose, what we wish to believe.  

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

What kind of historical accounts?

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I think you have to view the Bible as historical or, know people who do.  Do you know anyone who interprets the Bible, not as allegorical or, analogous but,,, as every word literal and perfect?

Just look at creation as an example. 

As does the New Testament.  I do believe the Bible reveals the spirit of Jesus and, who He wants us to be.  Sadly, we Christians too often pick and choose, what we wish to believe.  

Cafeteria Christianity is real.  Also known as Buffet Baptists.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Noah's Ark.  There are accounts of a great flood in many religions and societies around the world.  Does whether this happened precisely as depicted in the Old Testament impact Christianity?  I would emphatically say it does not.

Levitical Laws - Not applicable to Christians, yet cause so much confusion and rich soil for hate to grow when used in error by extremists.

I think you have to view the Bible as historical or, know people who do.  Do you know anyone who interprets the Bible, not as allegorical or, analogous but,,, as every word literal and perfect?

I do know people that believe the Bible is literal and perfect. I also know church leaders that disagree with the Bible being literal. Personally do not think it matters what you think if you understand, believe, and attempt to live Christ teachings. 

22 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Noah's Ark.  There are accounts of a great flood in many religions and societies around the world.  Does whether this happened precisely as depicted in the Old Testament impact Christianity?  I would emphatically say it does not.

Levitical Laws - Not applicable to Christians, yet cause so much confusion and rich soil for hate to grow when used in error by extremists.

Agree with your assessment but the things you mention do have a lot to do with Gods word. My opinion and told Itchy the other day. Feel that you have to study the old to understand the new. 

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes absolutely. God’s instruction to man. Scribed by men but inspired by God.

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Hard disagree.  You may not understand it fully if you call it the word of God “as we know it to be”.  God is smarter than you. And all of us. You either believe the Bible or you put qualifiers on God. 

Understanding Jesus has much more to do with love in your heart than, the Bible in your head.

We have no calling to be Biblical scholars or, to judge one another.  Our calling is about love and mercy.

Unfortunately, being a Christian has lost meaning.  It no longer necessarily means one is a follower of Christ.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Understanding Jesus has much more to do with love in your heart than, the Bible in your head.

We have no calling to be Biblical scholars or, to judge one another.  Our calling is about love and mercy.

Unfortunately, being a Christian has lost meaning.  It no longer necessarily means one is a follower of Christ.

Who has said you need to be a Bible scholar? Who is judging one another? Talking per this thread. 

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Who has said you need to be a Bible scholar? Who is judging one another? Talking per this thread. 

We were discussing the Old and New Testaments.  The context was literal, allegorical.  A comment was made that you essentially compromise God if you do not take the absolutist meanings.

At least, that's my interpretation

The point of my post was, Jesus is the word.  We do not worship the Bible.  We are to follow Jesus.  The purpose of the Bible is to reveal the spirit of Jesus. Memorizing the Bible will not create a better world and, allow eternal life.  Jesus in your heart will.  In the past, Biblical orthodoxy, passages, meanings have caused Christians to commit some atrocities.  The spirit, love, mercy of Jesus have never led us astray, to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry.  I probably should have just typed that to begin with.

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

In the past, Biblical orthodoxy, passages, meanings have caused Christians to commit some atrocities. 

No it has not been the cause. Perhaps “attempted justification” by evil people living under the guise as Christian. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:40 PM, icanthearyou said:

True.  Still, the New Testament can be unnecessarily divisive or, used as a weapon.  Too many Christians attempt to make it just as much about "the law", rather than the mercy, love, forgiveness. 

Personally, I believe the "inspired" aspect is more about reading with the love of Jesus in your heart than the moment words were put on paper.  The ancient text has been picked through by men, translated by men, altered by men, canonized by men.  There are more ancient Greek versions than there are words in the New Testament.  There are even inconsistencies between the gospels.

Jesus said, "I am the word."

I'm not anti-Bible.  I just believe we have elevated a book to the point that, knowledge of it too often becomes a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus.  I believe the translations and alterations are fallible but, I believe the Bible is an accurate portrayal of the spirit of Christ.

You should post more often......well put👍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No it has not been the cause. Perhaps “attempted justification” by evil people living under the guise as Christian. 

I think "used" would be appropriate.

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

You should post more often......well put👍

Thank you.  I believe our future is better when our reflection of Jesus' love is better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Hard disagree.  You may not understand it fully if you call it the word of God “as we know it to be”.  God is smarter than you. And all of us. You either believe the Bible or you put qualifiers on God. 

So you believe that it is a sin against God if you do not stone your daughter to death upon learning that she was not a virgin at marriage?  That is just one of many man made parts of the Old Testament.  As we know it to be is the only fair way to describe some parts of the old testament.  Do you believe that men lived to be 600 years old at some point centuries ago?  Seriously man, the most advanced scholars of theology would laugh at the thought.