how many christians are pro putin?

aubiefifty

i keep reading where putin is an enemy of the christian faith? i tried googling it and holy cow {no pun intended} and tons of religious leaders are up in arms but i understand little of their faith so i am a tad confused. here is a tidbit i found...............

U.S. Report Says Russia Among 'Worst Violators' Of Religious Freedom

Nearly 200 criminal cases were opened in Russia last year against Jehovah's Witnesses, who have been viewed with suspicion the country for decades (file photo)
Nearly 200 criminal cases were opened in Russia last year against Jehovah's Witnesses, who have been viewed with suspicion the country for decades (file photo)

An independent, bipartisan advisory body has reiterated its call for the U.S. State Department to add Russia to its register of the world's "worst violators" of religious freedom, a blacklist that already includes Iran, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and six other countries.

The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), created by Congress to make recommendations about global religious freedom, proposes in its annual report released on April 21 that Russia, India, Syria, and Vietnam be put on the "countries of particular concern" list, a category reserved for those that carry out "systematic, ongoing, and egregious" violations of religious freedoms.

The blacklisting paves the way for sanctions if the countries included do not improve their records.

Countries recommended for the State Department's special watch list, meaning there are still "severe" violations of religious freedom there, include Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan.

The USCIRF report says that "religious freedom conditions in Russia deteriorated" last year, with the government targeting religious minorities deemed to be "nontraditional" with fines, detentions, and criminal charges.

A total of 188 criminal cases alone were brought against the banned Jehovah’s Witnesses, while there were 477 searches of members' homes, with raids and interrogations including "instances of torture that continue to go uninvestigated and unpunished."

5 Things To Know About The Jehovah's Witnesses In Russia
Embed share
The code has been copied to your clipboard.

width px height px

The URL has been copied to your clipboard

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:26
1:16

For decades, the Jehovah's Witnesses have been viewed with suspicion in Russia, where the dominant Orthodox Church is championed by President Vladimir Putin.

In 2017, Russia outlawed the religious group and labeled it "extremist," a designation the State Department has called "wrongful."

'Made-Up Charges'

Russia's anti-extremism law was also used to “persecute religious minorities, particularly Muslims," the report added.

In Russia's region of the North Caucasus, "security forces acted with impunity, arresting or kidnapping persons suspected of even tangential links to Islamist militancy as well as for secular political opposition," it said.

In occupied Crimea, the enforcement of Russia's "repressive" laws and policies on religion resulted in the prosecution of peaceful religious activity and bans on groups that were legal in the peninsula under Ukrainian law. At least 16 Crimean Muslims were sentenced to prison terms on "made-up charges of extremism and terrorism," the report said.

In Iran, the government escalated its "severe repression"” of religious minorities and continued to "export religious extremism and intolerance abroad," according to the report, which cites "scores" of Christians being "arrested, assaulted, and unjustly sentenced to years in prison."

The government also continued to arrest Baha’is and impose lengthy prison sentences on them, with between 50 and 100 followers of the Baha’i sect reported to be in prisons in Iran during the past year.

The USCIRF says religious freedom conditions also worsened in Pakistan, with the government "systematically" enforcing blasphemy laws and failing to protect religious minorities from "abuses by nonstate actors."

It cites a "sharp rise in targeted killings, blasphemy cases, forced conversions, and hate speech targeting religious minorities" including Ahmadis, Shi’a, Hindus, Christians, and Sikhs.

Abduction, forced conversion to Islam, rape, and forced marriage "remained an imminent threat for religious minority women and children," particularly among the Hindu and Christian faiths.

In Turkmenistan, religious freedom conditions "remained among the worst in the world and showed no signs of improvement," according to the report.

The government continued to "treat all independent religious activity with suspicion, maintaining a large surveillance apparatus that monitors believers at home and abroad."

"Restrictive state policies have 'virtually extinguished' the free practice of religion in the country, where the government appoints Muslim clerics, surveils and dictates religious practice, and punishes nonconformity through imprisonment, torture, and administrative harassment," the report said.

Edited by aubiefifty
could not edit. i think i am having puter probs..........

What do you mean by pro-Putin? If you mean how many Christians support Putin's invasion of Ukraine or support the way he governs Russia, then I don't know of any. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

What are you speaking of, Willis?

Perhaps this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2022/02/28/marjorie-taylor-greene-biden/6969692001/

............ Now, on to the weekend kerfuffle. Funny story. Turns out Greene – or MTG, as we love to call her – spoke at a white nationalist conference in Orlando on Friday night, which we’re sure was a total accident, because who among us hasn’t accidentally walked into a crowd of white supremacists and started talking about “America first”?

This completely unplanned pre-planned speech was both regrettable and probably President Joe Biden’s fault. The fact that the crowd at the America First Political Action Conference engaged in some light Hitler praising and, before Marjorie spoke, was asked to give “a round of applause for Russia” before breaking into an enthusiastic chant of “Putin! Putin! Putin!” was certainly not a reflection on Greene’s decision-making. It was likely the fault of left-wing saboteurs, or possibly antifa or Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.....

Edited by homersapien
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

How many Christians are pro-Jesus is the real question.

It depends on how you define Christian, doesn't it!

• Haha 1

The pro-Putin types exist within far right circles, which often overlap with certain Christian subgroups.  I don't think their numbers are high, but it's not "dozens."  MTG and her ilk didn't appear out of a vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wish our churches would spend much less time on the Bible and, much more time on the love, mercy of Jesus.

The Bible in your head does little.  Jesus in your heart is transformational.

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I wish our churches would spend much less time on the Bible and, much more time on the love, mercy of Jesus.

How does one find out more about this Jesus?

• Love 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Very true....though I would add that churches should spend 99% of their time on the New Testament and 1% on the historical significance of the Old text. 

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Very true....though I would add that churches should spend 99% of their time on the New Testament and 1% on the historical significance of the Old text. 

True.  Still, the New Testament can be unnecessarily divisive or, used as a weapon.  Too many Christians attempt to make it just as much about "the law", rather than the mercy, love, forgiveness. 

Personally, I believe the "inspired" aspect is more about reading with the love of Jesus in your heart than the moment words were put on paper.  The ancient text has been picked through by men, translated by men, altered by men, canonized by men.  There are more ancient Greek versions than there are words in the New Testament.  There are even inconsistencies between the gospels.

Jesus said, "I am the word."

I'm not anti-Bible.  I just believe we have elevated a book to the point that, knowledge of it too often becomes a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus.  I believe the translations and alterations are fallible but, I believe the Bible is an accurate portrayal of the spirit of Christ.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, icanthearyou said:

you just made a friend for life. love is and always should be the higher law. and there is so much crap out there it is depressing. i struggle with the bible and at one time i had read most of it but i did not understand most of it to be honest.  but when you start speaking love i understand it easily.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you just made a friend for life. love is and always should be the higher law. and there is so much crap out there it is depressing. i struggle with the bible and at one time i had read most of it but i did not understand most of it to be honest.  but when you start speaking love i understand it easily.

The love of Jesus isn't complicated.  The love of Jesus leaves no room for rationalizing. 

Pastors can be corrupted, churches can be corrupted, Bible verses can be corrupted.  The love of Jesus cannot be corrupted.  It makes me happy.

I love your heart my brother.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 2:40 PM, icanthearyou said:

True.  Still, the New Testament can be unnecessarily divisive or, used as a weapon.  Too many Christians attempt to make it just as much about "the law", rather than the mercy, love, forgiveness. 

Personally, I believe the "inspired" aspect is more about reading with the love of Jesus in your heart than the moment words were put on paper.  The ancient text has been picked through by men, translated by men, altered by men, canonized by men.  There are more ancient Greek versions than there are words in the New Testament.  There are even inconsistencies between the gospels.

Jesus said, "I am the word."

I'm not anti-Bible.  I just believe we have elevated a book to the point that, knowledge of it too often becomes a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus.  I believe the translations and alterations are fallible but, I believe the Bible is an accurate portrayal of the spirit of Christ.

“The law” rendered obsolete with the birth of Christ. Reason to study the old is in order understand the new and you are correct, mercy, love, forgiveness.

I do not get upset with people having a problem with the church. Jesus had a huge problem with the church of his day. I have a problem with most churches. God apparently did. He notified shepherds in a pasture about the birth of Jesus, not church leaders of the day.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, icanthearyou said:

The love of Jesus isn't complicated.  The love of Jesus leaves no room for rationalizing. 

Pastors can be corrupted, churches can be corrupted, Bible verses can be corrupted.  The love of Jesus cannot be corrupted.  It makes me happy.

I love your heart my brother.

they say some people have used race to make jesus who should be a brown skinned man with dark hair a blonde headed blued eyed Caucasian. i am not sure if i buy that to be honest but i am interested in your thoughts on it. here is some song lyrics from I see america by joy oladukan who is a singer from nigeria and has made a huge splash in american music. wonderful stuff. think of a little more soulful tracy chapman. anyway here are her lyrics for i see america:

I saw God out on the block today
He was darker than the preachers say
With a teardrop tattooed on His face
And dirt in His fingers
I heard angels when He laughed the way
That people do when they have known true pain
For His sins I don't know who's to blame
What choice was He givin'?
In this world that we're livin'
When I see you
I see love
I see America
I feel your pain
I share your blood
I see America
Said you mother knows a different time
She let's her tongue slip with a glass of wine
Says some things out loud that don't feel right
But you always forgive her
Don't you see the world is changing now?
The blood of the fallen cries out from the ground
Violence and rumors in a southern town
Both start with a whisper
But so does the difference
When I see you
I see love
I see America
I feel your pain
I share your blood
I see America
When I see you (I see you)
I see love (I see love)
I see America (I see you, I see love)
I feel your pain (feel your pain)
I share your blood (share your blood)
I see love (I see love)
I see America

my take is she is calling us out about racism and yet she is still sending all the love she has out to us. just like some of us think jesus would do. but do you see what i mean? it is like some folks almost do not want to share jesus OR they will not worship a black jesus. so how far off am i? now i am not saying it is the whole country or even the majority but there is a faction that does exist. and before you folks jump me for being crazy there are people living today that STILL think the bible justifies slavery.
  i am interested in what you think ican. well anyone for that matter.

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“The law” rendered obsolete with the birth of Christ. Reason to study the old is in order understand the new and you are correct, mercy, love, forgiveness.

I do not get upset with people having a problem with the church. Jesus had a huge problem with the church of his day. I have a problem with most churches. God apparently did. He notified shepherds in a pasture about the birth of Jesus, not church leaders of the day.

i like that salty. just when i am leaning toward giving up because of the worry and stress a couple of you guys step forward and give me hope. i am one of those cats that cannot do faith well because to be honest it was beaten out of me. and i do not say this wanting you folks to feel sorry for me ok? faith does not work for some people and i can promise you i am not alone. it is the same way jesus preached to take care of your neighbor and to do good things and yet when you do it it is not enough even though you are doing what jesus would want you to do in honoring his wishes. i have been told that one day the truth will hit me and i will either except it or turn away from it.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they say some people have used race to make jesus who should be a brown skinned man with dark hair a blonde headed blued eyed Caucasian. i am not sure if i buy that to be honest but i am interested in your thoughts on it. here is some song lyrics from I see america by joy oladukan who is a singer from nigeria and has made a huge splash in american music. wonderful stuff. think of a little more soulful tracy chapman. anyway here are her lyrics for i see america:

I saw God out on the block today
He was darker than the preachers say
With a teardrop tattooed on His face
And dirt in His fingers
I heard angels when He laughed the way
That people do when they have known true pain
For His sins I don't know who's to blame
What choice was He givin'?
In this world that we're livin'
When I see you
I see love
I see America
I feel your pain
I share your blood
I see America
Said you mother knows a different time
She let's her tongue slip with a glass of wine
Says some things out loud that don't feel right
But you always forgive her
Don't you see the world is changing now?
The blood of the fallen cries out from the ground
Violence and rumors in a southern town
Both start with a whisper
But so does the difference
When I see you
I see love
I see America
I feel your pain
I share your blood
I see America
I see love (I see love)
I see love (I see love)
I see America

my take is she is calling us out about racism and yet she is still sending all the love she has out to us. just like some of us think jesus would do. but do you see what i mean? it is like some folks almost do not want to share jesus OR they will not worship a black jesus. so how far off am i? now i am not saying it is the whole country or even the majority but there is a faction that does exist. and before you folks jump me for being crazy there are people living today that STILL think the bible justifies slavery.
  i am interested in what you think ican. well anyone for that matter.

It makes me sad that many of our Churches are still segregated.  It always made me sad to one minute be singing "Jesus Loves the Little Children of the World" only to afterward hear some adult use a racial epithet.  The Church, at large, has failed in it's mission to spread the love of Jesus.  The "Church" has almost always supported capital.  I can truly understand why people lose their faith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

It makes me sad that many of our Churches are still segregated.  It always made me sad to one minute be singing "Jesus Loves the Little Children of the World" only to afterward hear some adult use a racial epithet.  The Church, at large, has failed in it's mission to spread the love of Jesus.  The "Church" has almost always supported capital.  I can truly understand why people lose their faith.

Why does it make you sad that some churches are segregated? Your choice to feel sad. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i like that salty. just when i am leaning toward giving up because of the worry and stress a couple of you guys step forward and give me hope. i am one of those cats that cannot do faith well because to be honest it was beaten out of me. and i do not say this wanting you folks to feel sorry for me ok? faith does not work for some people and i can promise you i am not alone. it is the same way jesus preached to take care of your neighbor and to do good things and yet when you do it it is not enough even though you are doing what jesus would want you to do in honoring his wishes. i have been told that one day the truth will hit me and i will either except it or turn away from it.

Not sure that “faith” works well with anyone Fiddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why does it make you sad that some churches are segregated? Your choice to feel sad. 

Brother Salty, this just makes me depressed.  Please think about this.  It is important, very important.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Brother Salty, this just makes me depressed.  Please think about this.  It is important, very important.

Can understand why you say important. Still something I choose not feel disappointment or sadness about.

Have not attended church other than small group since covid. Prior attended three churches between the gulf coast and Auburn. One segregated and two not. The segregated was on the beach so perhaps geographical location played a part. Just never honestly gave the issue a lot of thought. 

29 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Can understand why you say important. Still something I choose not feel disappointment or sadness about.

Have not attended church other than small group since covid. Prior attended three churches between the gulf coast and Auburn. One segregated and two not. The segregated was on the beach so perhaps geographical location played a part. Just never honestly gave the issue a lot of thought. 

Thank you for thinking about it.  I truly appreciate you doing that.  Please think about it, not only personally, not even in the context of race, but in the context of history.  Since the very beginnings of Christianity.  The Church has supported far too many acts of inhumanity.  Think about how and why.

I do not want to tell you what to believe.  I do want to encourage you to keep the love of Jesus as the basis of your faith. 

The Church and the Bible have/will be used by, evil.  The love of Jesus is incorruptible. 

I truly believe that being a Christian has little to do with rules, Biblical knowledge.  Following Jesus is about accepting his love into your heart, your spirit and, feeling that love to the extent that you can humbly love yourself, and others without condition to the best of your ability.

The notions of orthodoxy/heresy in my opinion are tools of Satan.  The moment Jesus ascended, Satan used division.  It began with Peter and Paul, before the Church was even realized.  Rules, doctrine, punishment, conformity were never the point.  The love of Jesus, the sacrifice, the grace, the mercy are the point.  LOVE is the answer.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

LOVE is the answer.

It was also the name of a very popular song written by Todd Rundgren in 1977 (Rundgren's version was not popular) but England Dan (Seals) and John Ford Coley's cover went to #10 in 1979.  As an aside, Dan Seals (England Dan) is the brother of Jim Seals from "Seals and Crofts" fame.  Now you know!

• Love 1

1 minute ago, auburn41 said:

It was also the name of a very popular song written by Todd Rundgren in 1977 (Rundgren's version was not popular) but England Dan (Seals) and John Ford Coley's cover went to #10 in 1979.  As an aside, Dan Seals (England Dan) is the brother of Jim Seals from "Seals and Crofts" fame.  Now you know!

Light of the world shine on me, love is the answer.

Shine on us all, set us free, love is the answer.

I love,,, love.  The love of Jesus is the answer.