Coach Mason

Proud Tiger

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Harsin implied Mason lied to him 

It was said on the Eagles Nest (old information which is why I think it is okay to post, MOD's delete if necessary) that Mason spoke to the players to tell them he was taking a year off before jumping to the NFL.  It was then inferred that Oklahoma State was not willing to pay for the buyout at that time, which is why Mason was taking a year off.  Apparently they had a change of heart the day after Mason spoke to the team and the rest is history.  Mason knew he wanted to leave back in December but chose to stay on and see early signing day through.  Class move in my opinion.  Even though I didn't agree with some of his first half decisions, I do know he will be missed both from a coaching standpoint as well as recruiting.

Edited by abw0004

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Not rated as best recruiter even on our coaching staff for 2022.

OC/DC  are rarely listed as the main recruiters

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I guess I am misinformed. How long that investigation been going on? I’ve heard comments(I assumed opinions but maybe they were actual facts about why).

I don't mean a formal investigation. I'm talking us, here, talking about the football program.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

@cole256, you got a fan club haha. It is always must read stuff when you post brother lol

And here comes PT 😂. Ofcourse it's laughable to say he follows me around 😂

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

He's a coordinator, he's not going to recruit the guy but if a defensive player signs you better know he closed it. You can't go by what a recruiting site says anyway they are rarely right on who was the lead. More times than not it's all a group effort anyway

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I mean on staff, and yes it's debatable. 

Yep ,didn't see Mason in my recruiting pictures after the Iron Bowl. Guess he had already checked out. Zac and Caddy are the ace recruiters IMO. Also, think Zac will be offered DC position very soon, somewhere.  Really impressed with him . Think he has all the tools, recruiting and coaching wise

Edited by NWALA Tiger

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man we have to stop all the nothing matters and then after the fact asking why can't we compete with bammer and uga? 

I use the trusdale and newkirk examples all the time. What you get a bunch from here is they weren't as good when they played.....ok but they were good enough to give a guy a break. That's very important. You have those two guys against miss st it makes a world of difference. Everything from who knows when guys can catch their breath how good they may perform to the coaches can call a different game now. But you have to see beyond

Yep depth matters a lot. Seems like if you’re not an all-sec/All/American then majority of this board seems to not care if you transfer. Then the season rolls around and our defense is giving up 250+ rushing yards or 300+ passing yards and this board trying to act confused on why this is happening lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

In fact how did this thread get this long? Love him, hate him or anything in between, Mason's gone. He left. Move on.

You know, you don't have to read stuff that doesn't interest you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's a coordinator, he's not going to recruit the guy but if a defensive player signs you better know he closed it. You can't go by what a recruiting site says anyway they are rarely right on who was the lead. More times than not it's all a group effort anyway

Yep, it’s usually initiated by someone lower in the chain of command and as it gets more serious, more get involved. It’s definitely closed by the DC/OC and head coach

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep ,didn't see Mason in my recruiting pictures after the Iron Bowl. Guess he had already checked out. Zac and Caddy are the ace recruiters IMO. Also, think Zac will be offered DC position very soon, somewhere.  Really impressed with him . Think he has all the tools, recruiting and coaching wise

Caddy and Zac are studs for sure and if Harsin survives, they'll probably be two of the biggest reasons why.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And here comes PT 😂. Ofcourse it's laughable to say he follows me around 😂

My goodness, Tiger Sue wants your attention so badly. Keep playing hard to get, though, drives them wild!

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My goodness, Tiger Sue wants your attention so badly. Keep playing hard to get, though, drives them wild!

You should've seen the show they put on the other day saying how they don't interact with me and it's my ego. Even had a couple of new guys liking the post 😂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You should've seen the show they put on the other day saying how they don't interact with me and it's my ego. Even had a couple of new guys liking the post 😂

Yeah, seems all this stuff has rallied some more Proud Boys to the cause. Very sassy bunch.

• Dislike 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, cole256 said:

When Bruce Pearl first got here his first two teams didn't have the athletes needed to really play his style. We didn't get good really until chuma got here. A nba talent.

You are normally spot on with your posts, but I'm not buying this. So Mason didn't have enough pro talent? McCreary, McClain and Monday should all be drafted. Wooten was a difference maker, and I believe other underclassmen will eventually play on Sundays.

Okeke was a NBA talent, but we don't get to the Final Four without Harper/Brown/Wiley/Doughty/etc. 

Wasn't a fan of Mason, but until Schmedding can prove that he was the architect of UAt and Houston, Mason deserves the credit. However, the blame falls on him for not scheming around our weaknesses in our poor performances on defense.

10 minutes ago, jknighton said:

You are normally spot on with your posts, but I'm not buying this. So Mason didn't have enough pro talent? McCreary, McClain and Monday should all be drafted. Wooten was a difference maker, and I believe other underclassmen will eventually play on Sundays.

Okeke was a NBA talent, but we don't get to the Final Four without Harper/Brown/Wiley/Doughty/etc. 

Wasn't a fan of Mason, but until Schmedding can prove that he was the architect of UAt and Houston, Mason deserves the credit. However, the blame falls on him for not scheming around our weaknesses in our poor performances on defense.

What I said was he didn't have 3-4 players. He didn't have a D line and he patched one together. You named two defensive backs and a small linebacker. I don't care who you are, you could literally be a prime deion Sanders, if you don't have pressure you can't cover. 

As far as you saying the stuff about chuma that has nothing to do with my point. Fact is Pearl couldn't give us a good team until he had a high level player that didn't fit his system. 

Saban didn't at bammer, Kirby didn't at uga, dabo didn't at Clemson. You don't win consistently at football without o line and d line

How do you scheme around having linebackers at D end and literally one d tackle? He schemed to give you what you got

Edited by cole256

Just now, cole256 said:

I don't care who you are, you could literally be a prime deion Sanders, if you don't have pressure you can't cover. 

Fact is Pearl couldn't give us a good team until he had a high level player that didn't fit his system. 

You don't win consistently at football without o line and d line

I totally agree which is why playing a soft zone with a 1st round pick and arguably the best CB in the country isn't the play especially when your weakness is the d-line. You would assume play more aggressive to give more time for your d-line to get pressure. Letting teams dink and dunk us all over the field only uncovered our weaknesses more.

My point was Mason didn't have a bare cupboard. While there were weaknesses on our d-line, our secondary was arguably the strongest it's been since 2018. IMO he was inconsistent on playing to his strengths.

You're absolutely right. The game is won in the trenches. O-line and d-line are not the sexy positions, but the most important.

3 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I totally agree which is why playing a soft zone with a 1st round pick and arguably the best CB in the country isn't the play especially when your weakness is the d-line. You would assume play more aggressive to give more time for your d-line to get pressure. Letting teams dink and dunk us all over the field only uncovered our weaknesses more.

My point was Mason didn't have a bare cupboard. While there were weaknesses on our d-line, our secondary was arguably the strongest it's been since 2018. IMO he was inconsistent on playing to his strengths.

You're absolutely right. The game is won in the trenches. O-line and d-line are not the sexy positions, but the most important.

Didn't you see the stretch when he did that and like 3 teams started exposing Simpson? I know 3 scores at the least against miss st came while we were blitzing. 

You can't just think one side. A corner is only going to guard a quarter of the field. 

42 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Didn't you see the stretch when he did that and like 3 teams started exposing Simpson? I know 3 scores at the least against miss st came while we were blitzing. 

You can't just think one side. A corner is only going to guard a quarter of the field. 

Using the disguised blitzes kept superior talent (UAt) confused. Rushing 3 and letting Rogers have a clean pocket to pick us apart did not. Adjustments should have come sooner.

Maybe playing more bump and run with safety help over the top would've helped the other side of the field.

What we can agree on is the fact that he does deserve credit for our good performances, but you have to hold him accountable for the poor performances

Edited by jknighton
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I just can't understand why. I also feel that a bunch of our fan base are too one game heavy. It's always yeah do you remember this game. Even when talking about head coaches like Sanders it's he lost against South Carolina st therefore he can't coach lol. 

Forget all the other games but Mason that miss st game is the only game people remember after all the different variables in that game that's out of his control. 

The guy didn't have a D line. Did he even have one guy that was 300 pounds? You know what wooden is on bammer or uga? A freaking linebacker. He was our strong side d end. Our nose tackle might have just been a linebacker for those squads.

You have Hunter and peges as our d ends and a just decent nose. Now Brooks and height and Rikey rushing edges psppoe in the middle even though small he has those big guys keeping guys off him and Steiner to pair with him......then the new guys coming in. You have fast twitch athletes and rotation and depth.......And it was right there in front of us. I bet you are a more aggressive defense.

Yea, people hate on him for the MSST Game, but fail to give credit on the other games especially the Iron Bowl. "It must have been Schmedding calling the D" ...Really? Why because it worked? GTFOH

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You know, you don't have to read stuff that doesn't interest you.

Nothing to do with my interest in the topic, rather the thread devolving into "oh yeah? Yeah. Oh yeah? Yeah" blather.

Another aspect of Mason leaving that hasn't really been stated on here explicitly is that it shows that Harsin's likely micromanaging the program. No big name or proven OC or DC will want to coach under Harsin if he's going to micromanage everything. 

As much grief as I and others had about Gus micromanaging the offense and not changing his offensive approach, at least Gus didn't meddle with the defense. He let Kevin Steele run the defense and didn't tell him how to run it. 

The fact that Mason, a respected DC who decides to leave Auburn where he was the highest paid assistant on the staff at $1.5 million, takes a $400,000 pay cut because he couldn't tolerate Harsin's micromanaging should speak volumes.

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Another aspect of Mason leaving that hasn't really been stated on here explicitly is that it shows that Harsin's likely micromanaging the program. No big name or proven OC or DC will want to coach under Harsin if he's going to micromanage everything. 

As much grief as I and others had about Gus micromanaging the offense and not changing his offensive approach, at least Gus didn't meddle with the defense. He let Kevin Steele run the defense and didn't tell him how to run it. 

The fact that Mason, a respected DC who decides to leave Auburn where he was the highest paid assistant on the staff at $1.5 million, takes a $400,000 pay cut because he couldn't tolerate Harsin's micromanaging should speak volumes.

Yes Harsin micromanages. Like many college coaches he always has. Mason should have known he would continue do so when Mason hired on. Saban is also a notorious micromanager. It's his MO.