New Reality of the Situation

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, Taco said:

I’m speaking of Saban’s situation, not TT. 

And for your information. TT absolutely didn’t tell PTB to suck it. 

Yeah after Jetgate Tommy definitely told them "whatever you guys say, no hard feelings."

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but you're speaking with authority on something you don't know much about 

Money runs deep in most places regardless of the circumstance. Some circumstances set up better than others

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

His resume was better than every single coach we've ever hired.

No it really wasn't and you know it wasn't.

Tubbs was a successful HC at an SEC West school. Won SEC coach of the year at OM, and was on staff for three national title teams at Miami. 

Chizik was a Broyles winner for one of the greatest Auburn teams ever, then won a NC at Texas as a DC, before coaching at a P5 school (albeit a disastrous stint). 

Malzahn was another Broyles winner who was successful at 2 SEC West schools. 

He's the most unproven hire for Auburn, on paper, in a long time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Tubbs was a successful HC at an SEC West school. Won SEC coach of the year at OM, and was on staff for three national title teams at Miami. 

Chizik was a Broyles winner for one of the greatest Auburn teams ever, then won a NC at Texas as a DC, before coaching at a P5 school (albeit a disastrous stint). 

That's dumb

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nope it is you who is wrong. Harsin/Boise has been coaching and winning at a high level for years. His teams with him as OC or head coach were 6 and 3 vs top 10 ranked opponents, including a spanking of Stoops and #5 Oklahoma in ‘07 Fiesta Bowl. Boise higher level than Gustav’s Arky State and Tulsa teams.

2 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Nope it is you who is wrong. Harsin/Boise has been coaching and winning at a high level for years in Idaho. His teams with him as OC or head coach were 6 and 3 vs top 10 ranked opponents, including a spanking of Stoops and #5 Oklahoma in ‘07 Fiesta Bowl. Boise higher level than Gustav’s Arky State and Tulsa teams.

Threw that in there for ya.

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

TT didn’t win more than 6 games at Ole Miss. granted it wasn’t the most ideal position during the time and 6 wins was a big deal. 

Chiz was viewed as a failed head coach at the time we hired him because well, he was a failed head coach. 

Malzahn was successful coordinator with us and Tulsa but had controversy from Arkansas. Had a good season at Ark State where the only thing he really implemented was his offense, which wasn’t a big change from Hugh Freeze’s. 

Bryan Harsin was the 7th (? I know it’s somewhere around there) winningest coach in FBS when we hired him. Conference titles, draft picks, and whatever. Oh and no NCAA issues. 

So yes, on paper Harsin probably had the best resume for a head coaching position in a while. If not ever

The big question mark about him was whether he could adjust to the SEC and the south. And “playing the game” and winning over the boosters/board members. 

As you can see with what’s going on right now, the answer has been an empathic NO.

Edited by Taco
My grammar sucks
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

In May, he skipped 1985 Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson's charity golf tournament, leaving two assistant coaches to speak in his absence, which peeved several big donors.

Apparently there are a long list of little things like this where he sent assistants to big events and it looked really bad on him.  

I mentioned this one on the board in the last day or so.  Apparently really pissed off a lot of HS coaches.

This past week, he skipped an event hosted by the Georgia Athletic Coaches Association in Macon, where state championship-winning high school coaches were honored. Georgia's Kirby Smart, Tennessee's Josh Heupel, Florida State's Mike Norvell and South Carolina's Shane Beamer were among the head coaches who attended.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently there are a long list of little things like this where he sent assistants to big events and it looked really bad on him.  One

Yes

1 minute ago, Taco said:

TT didn’t win more than 6 games at Ole Miss. granted it wasn’t the most ideal position during the time and 6 wins was a big deal. 

Chiz was viewed as a failed head coach at the time we hired him because well, he was a failed head coach. 

Malzahn was successful coordinator with us and Tulsa but had controversy from Arkansas. Had a good season at Ark State where the only thing he really implemented was his offense, which wasn’t a big change from Hugh Freeze’s. 

Bryan Harsin was the 7th (? I know it’s somewhere around there) winningest coach in FBS when we hired him. Conference titles, draft picks, and whatever. Oh and no NCAA issues. 

So yes, on paper Harsin is probably the best resume for a head coaching position in a whole. 

The big question mark about him was whether he could adjust to the SEC and the south. And “playing the game” and winning over the boosters/board members. 

As you can see with what’s going on right now, the answer has been an empathic NO.

C'mon, dude. It doesn't take much to research this stuff. Tubbs went 8-4 in 1997 at OM and won SEC Coach of the Year.

And fit is clearly what a resume for the Auburn job is all about. You act like Boise experience is on par with P5 experience. 

• Haha 1

Harsin told ESPN earlier this week that any suggestion he had poor relationships with his players or mistreated his players was drummed up by those on the outside trying to hurt the program.

"The people spreading that kind of thing aren't at Auburn and are trying to use it against us," Harsin said. "There are always different reasons when players leave. Some players needed to leave because they were complete distractions."

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

C'mon, dude. It doesn't take much to research this stuff. Tubbs went 8-4 in 1997 at OM and won SEC Coach of the Year.

And fit is clearly what a resume for the Auburn job is all about. You act like Boise experience is on par with P5 experience. 

Oh no. I looked over something. Guess I am human. 

You believe as you will. I’ll move on. 

Everything going on, Harsin didn’t help his cause to help solidify himself at Auburn, I really think it’s that simple on why it didn’t work out. 

If anything, I think Harsin did help out the football program by getting the PTB on the same page. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

Oh no. I looked over something. Guess I am human. 

You believe as you will. I’ll move on. 

Everything going on, Harsin didn’t help his cause to help solidify himself at Auburn, I really think it’s that simple on why it didn’t work out. 

If anything, I think Harsin did help out the football program by getting the PTB on the same page. 

Hope you're right. Don't see that lasting through a new coaching search. 

I'm trying to reconcile this coach, who allegedly doesn't foster relationships with his players, with the guy who was sliding around in the mud with the team a month or so ago. And the image of him embracing the player that was shared. I can see players not adjusting to his hard-nose coaching style, but there is evidence that he is caring and likes to have fun with the team at the right moments. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Thank you. It all makes AU look pathetic and incompetent to run a major football program. I’m not happy with what BH has shown or done thus far, but without proof of any wrongdoing, this is AU at its normal. Honestly, Auburn is it’s own worst enemy and at this point, it’s hard to continue being a football fan of such an incompetent school. The damage is now done. 

Thank you sir and I agree with your comments.  I was happy/eager with the results of the first half of the season as I think most AU fans were, but then it tanked.  Why did that happen ?  I still haven't read any satisfactory explanations other than Bobo's mismanagement, then the program really hit a wall post season.  Is Harsin's program management so different and many players were unable to adjust ?  

My solace in this matter has been reflecting on the first season records of several well-respected coaches. There are counter arguments to my analogy:

Pat Dye- 5-6 at AU; Bear Bryant- at aTm 1-9 and at UA 5-4-1; Bobby Bowden 5-6 at FSU; Saban 7-6 at UA.

One undercurrent not being discussed in the matter of successful seasons is that college football is a money sport today, in fact, the spirit of the game has diminished greatly because of $$$.  Football is now dog-eat-dog for the $$$.  We brag about how much money our program brings in to the school.  Never in all the years of my support of AU had I heard talk like this, but it's now almost a competition unto itself.

Another undercurrent is the success that Chizik had by winning the NC in his 2nd season and Malzahn competing for it in his 1st season, both unbelievable for any school and has only whetted our appetite for more, and believing that one team under one head coach is certain to be continuous with the next coach.  In the real world that rarely happens, but that has become our expectation.  When Harsin was hired there were many predicting that AU would have a 9-3 record the first season.  Unrealistic.

A third undercurrent is keeping up with the UpDykes.  Saban has been the most successful coach in history at the dismay of all the other SEC schools and has caused fan bases to turn on their coaches for not being as successful.  Jawja dumped Richt, a fine coach with a 73% win average, only because he wasn't winning the NC.  Some fans were ready to dump Kirby Smart because he hadn't won a NC in his first two seasons.  UT dumped Fulmer, Clempson dumped Bowden and others.  Saban's success has driven others unreasonably mad with the desire for a near-instant NC.  The SEC schools are expecting immediate success, partly because the belief is that the money that the programs generate should be able to pay for that NC.  Unfortunately, aTm has worsened this idea with their NIL scheme.  This drive for a NC is only going to become worse.

Last, add the transfer rule into the mix and you see players leave a program after only one season for what they believe will be greener pastures.  This undermines program stability as AU's mass exodus is showing.  Some players are switching to as many as 3 schools with the hope of fulfilling their dreams.

To bring this full circle, I think AU fans have unreasonable expectations given the greater number of fluid factors at play in today's football environment and having to compete with a very mature program like UA.  To develop a solid program will take years at AU.  Do we have the patience to let a coach develop the program as he sees it should be or will we demand that Yella Fella fix it with his wallet ?  Apparently part of our fan base does not.

I believe in Auburn and love it.

WDE !!!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

I'm trying to reconcile this coach, who allegedly doesn't foster relationships with his players, with the guy who was sliding around in the mud with the team a month or so ago. And the image of him embracing the player that was shared. I can see players not adjusting to his hard-nose coaching style, but there is evidence that he is caring and likes to have fun with the team at the right moments. 

very astute observation

27 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

This is a great point.  I had forgotten about that slip n slide day.  Our Coach did similar stuff.  Furing Camp Fun it was common to just wear shorts while we ran the obstacle course in like 40 degree weather.  On one of the last days of camp every year, the old ball coach would rally us like he did every day before the camp was run, but this time at the end of his short speech he ripped off his shirt and ran the course with us.  Impressive for his age.

Every player would walk back to the field house saying things like: "Man, Coach is so crazy", or "dang he is a hairy old dude but geez did you see him flip that tire? wild!" even "man, Coach cracked me up running around without his shirt on, doing some of the stations." 

I could see the same thing happening with Harsin and the media would likely never hear about it.

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is a great point.  I had forgotten about that slip n slide day.

I heard he didn’t let some players participate in the slip n slide. That’s why they left and are disgruntled.

1 minute ago, Taco said:

I heard he didn’t let some players participate in the slip n slide. That’s why they left and are disgruntled.

Oh the horror...

2 hours ago, Taco said:

It’s was more like, the boosters all got together and got on the same page and made it really hard for him to fail *winkwink* 

So in my humble opinion, if getting rid of Harsin is going to get our boosters and boards to all get on the same page and put them in a situation to where they know they can’t fail, with the NIL going on, sure, let it happen. 

What has the board ever shown in support of a decent coach? I mean GM had maybe 2 good years. The last decent coach this team had was TT. And it didn’t cost the school millions at the end like it did with Waffle guy. 

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Auburn is a very competent and prestigious school. 

#1 in basketball at the moment….if that is the way you choose to grade universities.

And I love how BP has made us a bigger BB school and more relevant than the FB program, but, the bottom line is that Football is responsible for driving the budget in large school athletics. I stand by my opinion of if Harsin did something that is a fireable offense, then so be it, but just because some players that didn’t want to be taught or disciplined to buy into a different scheme, is really a poor reason to get of a coach after one year. Honestly, most teams under GM the last 4 years were very lackluster and poor on the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Threw that in there for ya.

Idaho not a bad thing, Captain Unaware. They have a better record against ranked teams than Auburn. it’s still D1 football. Boise, when they get a chance to play Power 5 conference schools, usually beats them, usually with lesser talent. Boise beat Dawgs in Athens 34-21 in ‘ll, and I loved it. All those 3,4,5 stars, and they got their ass kicked, because they were outschemed, and Boise players were coached up enough to compete against better talent. If that game had been played on the blue turf in Boise, Boise would have hung 50 on them. Been there, think Auburn Jungle bball, with about 40k fans instead.