New Reality of the Situation

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I think a lot of the damage to Auburn football has been lingering for years, peaking with the idiocy of Steven Leath. 

We weren't in a place where we needed a drill sergeant at Auburn. We needed someone to come in and make Auburn football attractive, to players and students alike. We needed to make it fun. We went out and got the opposite. I think I've gotten some idea of Harsin's plan and the amount of time it would take for that to even possibly work would require patience few SEC programs short of Vanderbilt have. He is a bad fit and I think this offseason - minus the Jerry Springer drama - proves that out. We are getting behind in a recruiting area that's full of sharks. 

And this is why I think we should consider Coach Prime.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

This really makes me rethink why Patrick Nix packed up Bo and moved him about as far away from Auburn as he could get him, away from his family to a program with a brand spanking new coach and a lot of uncertainty. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You can't say the allegations are false. There's enough there for Auburn players to leave in a significant number, and for recruiting to be in the dumpster. Clearly this is a bigger issue than just a couple of kids with hurt feelings. Due to Harsin's mismanagement of Auburn football there is now a big, embarrassing mess. That is reason enough to dump him even if he gets some money. 

None of that constitutes firing for cause. He can be a horrible coach but it doesn't mean he is guilty of voiding his contract.

Maybe it has been mentioned but didn’t Shivers miss a game due to something non injury? The impression on this board was that Shivers was as good kid as they come. 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Someone is going to take a chance on him at some point and probably reap benefits.  He’s a high risk/high reward hire for me. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Forget completely about the affair accusations. They don't matter. Looks like total bunk. Whether or not it began this domino effect and who started that rumor is ultimately irrelevant. 

Like it or not, the real issue at hand is whether or not Harsin can continue recruiting for Auburn. That's what this is going to come down to. In many ways, it's what has always been at the core of this.

Recruiting was already suffering mightily. 8th in the SEC. Big time portal struggles this cycle. Junior day was a disaster. The cherry on top was not a single player signed on NSD. Not even a 2 star project from Montgomery or something. 

A bad situation went to critical when all these former, prominent, players publicly detailed their negative accounts of what it's like to play for Harsin. I don't think Smoke and those kids fully understand what they just did. It's going to be so easy for other programs to talk prospects out of coming to Auburn, now. All they've got to do is show them that footage and a bunch of players' tweets.

So regardless of whether those kids are soft. Regardless of whether Harsin is a jerk. Regardless of his plan. Regardless of culture. Regardless of accusations or the who "for cause" debate.

The ONLY question now is: is it even going to be possible for Harsin to recruit for Auburn anymore? Can he go forward after this? I'm honestly not sure. But whether it's fair or unfair, if this whole fiasco has done irreparable damage to his appeal to recruits, he can't be here anymore. 

Personally, I think the best thing for Auburn would be if somehow CBH could survive and rally. But it's going to take a massive PR campaign to fix this recruiting problem.

This is what the decision is going to come down to. 

I have serious doubts that he’ll ever be able to recruit at a level Auburn needs to be recruiting at to dig us out of the hole we’re already in.  Now throw in all the player accusations and turmoil within the fb program that’s going to be used to recruit against him and it’s going to be extremely difficult to get this program where we all want it to be.  I find it hard to believe he’s going to survive this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Maybe it has been mentioned but didn’t Shivers miss a game due to something non injury? The impression on this board was that Shivers was as good kid as they come. 

Shivers post a cryptic post on Twitter yesterday. I'm not sure if he ever followed up on it

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn basketball fans are Auburn football fans. They are loyal and like to win. Do things right and you'll have Pearlville. Do things wrong and people won't like it. 

If you believe we are somehow uniquely bad or toxic as fans, describe exactly how. 

We may not be unique to college football, and I can't let you talk to him cause he died in 2001, but the AU man who raised me wouldn't like anything about the AU fans of today. As he made sure to tell me in 1989, we are NOT them. Treat them with respect and welcome them to Auburn. Then, we'll kick butt on the field. Dirty laundry was kept in house. Don't worry. I'm a minority. You are gonna get your way, and it may be for the best. I don't know. But reporters are the laziest people on the planet. They are not gonna work if we'll do it for them. And we do, and should at least own it. 

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Shivers post a cryptic post on Twitter yesterday. I'm not sure if he ever followed up on it

He actually posted it a few days ago before any of this blew up publicly.  

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I guess you subscribe to the guilty until innocent approach. Interesting.

No.  I just don't think former players are lying. I think it's a warning that should not be ignored. 

Like the softball team and like the baseball team.....when players leave and can finally speak then that's when the truth spills out. 

I think it's sad that you do....but it's not very interesting. It's kind of expected. Softball and baseball players would understand that.

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

He actually posted it a few days ago before any of this blew up publicly.  

It was Thursday while all this blew up. No?

Edited by W.E.D

I’m so tired of people that have no idea what they are talking about shooting off about big money boosters. When you have the kahunas to stroke a 15 million dollar check to get rid of a coach that needed to go. The money and time that these guys spend goes unappreciated .You donate the kind of money that these guys do to the university you should have a Huge say so! You never hear of the good things how do you think Bruce Pearl is at Auburn ? How do you think Terry Bowden came to Auburn? He did great his first two years and then his head got to big. This comes from a former Player that can’t sleep at night when we lose especially with double digit leads in the last 5 games. Absolutely no excuse in that. The bottom line is Harsin can’t recruit. He is not an Xs and Os guy. This is fact! The only reason we finished were we did in recruiting which wasn’t that great by the way but it was better than 40th was because Mason picked up The two really good junior-college transfers. These are all facts here. 
He has had so much turnover in staff just in the last few weeks that is not normal. I do not want to be Boise State south with all his coaches coming from Boise. This is not the mountain west this is the SEC . Boise was good before he got there so he really hasn’t proven anything there either . We need a coach at Auburn that will have us in the top 10 in recruiting every year! We have to have a coach that has a offensive game mindset that either calls his own plays or can score a lot of points. College football is a totally different game now you’ve got to score A lot of points to win. These are facts! This is reality! This is happening! I need the Auburn Family to get behind me and let’s make some noise. I wanted him the first go around and they did not make it happen. Lane kiffen needs to be our next coach! He had the best offense  in the SEC his first year at Ole Miss. They were terrible before he got there. Last time we got a coach from Ole Miss it turned out really well. He would be a great fit for Auburn and we could land him. Alabama fans would hate it! 
Auburn family this next hire has to be right! Please get behind me! The Lane Train needs to come to Auburn.

Auburn family can you imagine Bruce Pearl basketball!

Lane kiffen football!!! Sorry doesn’t get any better than that! 

This is reality! This is happening!

This hire Has to be right or we are in big trouble! 

War Eagle! Please get behind this movement!

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok then, to anyone who hates my idea--who do you realistically think we can get?

I doubt we get anyone established. Top assistants (Grimes/Dell/others?) or someone like Freeze. Probably more worrisome would be trying to fill out a staff so late in the coaching carousel 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

It was Thursday while all this blew up. No?

Yep he posted that I think either late Wednesday or early Thursday and this really exploded late Thursday night…..anyways I thought at the time it was a curious tweet because it was already spreading around campus (for about a week) that something was amiss with Harsin but it had not gone Chernobyl level yet. 

Just now, W.E.D said:

I doubt we get anyone established. Top assistants (Grimes/Dell/others?) or someone like Freeze. Probably more worrisome would be trying to fill out a staff so late in the coaching carousel 

I completely agree with you. And I would be happy with Grimes or Dell. But I'm talking to the people who are facepalming me.

43 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Deion Sanders is not coming here. Are you kidding me? For several of reasons.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I completely agree with you. And I would be happy with Grimes or Dell. But I'm talking to the people who are facepalming me.

Grimes would be a solid hire.  I’ve never been sold on Dell McGee even as an OC much less running the program. 

Freeze would be pouring gasoline on an already blazing inferno that would completely engulf the program. 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Don't get ppl facepalming and scared to respond makes little sense to me.

Dell has experience being in an elite program. Dabo and Pittman are position coaches who did well as coaches. It would still be risky. I don't know enough about him besides he recruits well and was a GA here in 2013 and we've tried to hire him a dozen times

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

No.  I just don't think former players are lying

Do you think current players are?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

We may not be unique to college football, and I can't let you talk to him cause he died in 2001, but the AU man who raised me wouldn't like anything about the AU fans of today. As he made sure to tell me in 1989, we are NOT them. Treat them with respect and welcome them to Auburn. Then, we'll kick butt on the field. Dirty laundry was kept in house. Don't worry. I'm a minority. You are gonna get your way, and it may be for the best. I don't know. But reporters are the laziest people on the planet. They are not gonna work if we'll do it for them. And we do, and should at least own it. 

Agree. As far as BB goes, I knew we lose a few more games, just damn didn’t want it to be to THUGA. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Do you think current players are?

Right? People have so obvious picked a side it is disgusting. You have two sides saying the opposite. One player saying they were treated like "dogs." The other player saying it was about accountability . Who is right? How do you decide? 

• Like 2