Who is our John L. Smith?

AUght2win

If this goes down and you want to talk about replacements, we aren't hiring a longterm coach in February. But there is precedence for this.

When Petrino fell off his bike he was canned in April. Arkansas went out and found a guy who was a former head coach who had worked at Arkansas in John L. Smith. The plan was for him to coach the fall while the longterm candidate search took place. Smith was awful but it was likely still the right play.

You need a guy familiar with the terrain and program that you can immediately plug in to try to salvage the season. A pool of these candidates for Auburn would be small but let's discuss them.

- Gene Chizik: still lives in Auburn, loves Auburn, and has held the position. Not to mention he won it all here. He would honestly be my top choice for one fall.

- Muschamp: Also a former SEC head coach. Very familiar with Auburn. Might be a final chance for him to restart his HC career.

- Brian Vangorder: Extremely experienced coach. Currently relegated to the high school ranks. Last year at Gulf Shores, but this year in Florida. Has been at Auburn.

- Tommy Bowden: Two stints at Auburn but has been out of coaching for a long time. Still has tons of experience as leader of a major program.

- Rodney Garner: this dude IS Auburn and is most familiar with the current roster. Would instantly gain respect and cohesion of locker room. Is he HC material? That's what we could find out if he were to accept an interim job in the fall.

• Dislike 2

30 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Can someone please fill me in... I guess I'm outta the loop.. Is this news on Harsin job security related to performance or something else..Some sort of family Rumor?