Ike Jones comments on J. Johnson transfer and the state of the program

autiger88

5 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Ok aren't we all?

I am just saying. Doesn’t mean that I have to agree with it or vice versa. For example trying to compare Bama portal losses when the talent level is different. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It did, I’m just not in a place where I can listen, and your title didn’t leave any context. Curious what he said.

Oh my bad @Barnacle I'll give you the short version he is saying it's not time to panic about the J Johnson transfer or the season. 🤷 Just putting it out there. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am just saying. Doesn’t mean that I have to agree with it or vice versa

Oh ok yeah you don't, just posting it to give a different perspective.

I honestly don't know how I feel right now about any of this. 

• Thanks 1

• autiger88 changed the title to Ike Jones comments on J. Jones transfer and the state of the program
4 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I welcome u to checkout what this caller said. Start at the 11minute mark

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1

• autiger88 changed the title to Ike Jones comments on J. Johnson transfer and the state of the program
2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I am just enjoying this basketball season, gymnastics with Suni, then Softball, baseball and Equestrian.  All sports that could win a title this year.  Softball being the biggest question mark but has a load of talent. 

• Like 7

It’s actually February* 

JJ is going to Ole Miss*

He has fair points. I don’t think the “fandom” is at panic button, but boy there are some red flags. 

Yes I will absolutely say that our wide receivers sucked this year, but if they were our cream of the crop, the cream is gone. We’ve now lost 3 of our top 5 receivers in yards and receptions from last year. Sure we got some good freshmen, but again, our depth is concerning. 

Our fans aren’t the only ones in the world that calls out bad-product or red flags. 

Alabama actually has had 17, not 14 transfers, two notable ones I would say, 6 non-scholarship players, and 9 players who were upperclass depth players who left for playing time. 

But let’s look at who Nick’s brought in outside of his #2 recruiting class from the transfer portal. 

Former All-American DB from LSU Eli Ricks 

RB Jahmyr Gibbs who rushed for 700+ yards at Georgia Tech this year 

And UGA’s most productive wide receiver this year Jermaine Burton. 

There’s optics to this (media), obviously Ike and his friends are trying to set out some fires, but I truly, really cannot fathom burying your head in a hole when there are some obvious concerns. 

Edited by Taco
Added JJ going to Ole Miss
  • Like 6

starting on Ike's take if someone wants the YouTube link

• Like 2

I love their show. Ike isn't a stupid guy, so he's playing an angle for some reason. I'm wondering if they are worried that they'll get their freshly-gained press credentials revoked if they say what they're really thinking. They have been granted access to ADAG, CBP, Suni, etc., so it'll be hard for them to be too critical of anything happening in the AD for the foreseeable future.

On the football front, we got a whole lot going on right now and not a lot of it is good.

• Facepalm 1

I'm about 4 minutes in. Anyway, if you want to derive it to the most base "logical" interpretation, and view things in a vacuum, he isn't wrong. I know he's taking this holistic "these things don't matter bc we're not the only ones going through it" approach, but the whole "make up your mind segment" doesn't absolve the problematic trajectory. Even if we were all sunshine and roses, it would still be an issue. 

THAT seemed like an easy 2 minute out of really addressing things. "You guys don't even like the WR core", we damn sure enjoy not losing all of the returning experience. We already saw how not being on the same page for a QB in a new system looked like last year. Not to get on a rant, but 95% of what I listened to could be derived into: "our slant has been preaching "Harsin has been building a culture for months, and we have something of an in with this current administration" so we're going to continue to beat the same glass half full drum".

They've gone on wax and admitted how much their enamored with Harsin's process as recently as January, I think it'd be pretty easy for them to form mental gymnastics absolving a departure. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Ike isn't a stupid guy, so he's playing an angle for some reason. I'm wondering if they are worried that they'll get their freshly-gained press credentials revoked if they say what they're really thinking. They have been granted access to ADAG, CBP, Suni, etc., so it'll be hard for them to be too critical of anything happening in the AD for the foreseeable future.

Ding, ding, ding, DING! I don't listen to every episode of theirs admittedly, but I know they were one of the primary ones, via other Auburn creators and the fans on this board, beating the everything is rosy slant until everyone gradually started hopping off the bus. But most people who hopped off, do NOT have the connections they do with this administration.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Taco said:

It’s actually February* 

JJ is going to Ole Miss*

He has fair points. I don’t think the “fandom” is at panic button, but boy there are some red flags. 

Yes I will absolutely say that our wide receivers sucked this year, but if they were our cream of the crop, the cream is gone. We’ve now lost 3 of our top 5 receivers in yards and receptions from last year. Sure we got some good freshmen, but again, our depth is concerning. 

Our fans aren’t the only ones in the world that calls out bad-product or red flags. 

Alabama actually has had 17, not 14 transfers, two notable ones I would say, 6 non-scholarship players, and 9 players who were upperclass depth players who left for playing time. 

But let’s look at who Nick’s brought in outside of his #2 recruiting class from the transfer portal. 

Former All-American DB from LSU Eli Ricks 

RB Jahmyr Gibbs who rushed for 700+ yards at Georgia Tech this year 

And UGA’s most productive wide receiver this year Jermaine Burton. 

There’s optics to this (media), obviously Ike and his friends are trying to set out some fires, but I truly, really cannot fathom burying your head in a hole when there are some obvious concerns. 

Last I checked we're third worst in the division and second worst in transfer portal and straight up recruiting respectively. Maybe there's a ton of programs who have double digit transfers closer to 20 than 10. But I'd guarantee we'd consider those that are having as little success as us in replacing them as doing a BAD job. 

Ike has had some extremely contradictory takes. A couple of the Rapport guys have (I do enjoy their stuff though, by the way).

But they keep saying two things that are irreconcilable and contradictory to try to excuse all this stuff away.

1. The hiring of Coach Harsin is a departure from the old way of doing things. The PTB are no longer in charge. Therefore, with such a drastic change, we should expect some rough times. 

2. The coordinators and CBH's staff troubles are due to the fact that the PTB forced them on CBH, therefore, these rough times are actually still a product of the PTB.

Both those cannot be true. I'm not convinced EITHER is true. 

I don't think CBH had to tear everything down to the last brick as they've asserted so many times, and I also don't think the PTB are tying Harsin's hands in any way.

I think things aren't going well, and it didn't have to be this way. But it can also turn around.

Let's just not reach for every possible excuse to say it's all fine and nothing is wrong.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Ike has had some extremely contradictory takes. A couple of the Rapport guys have (I do enjoy their stuff though, by the way).

But they keep saying two things that are irreconcilable and contradictory to try to excuse all this stuff away.

1. The hiring of Coach Harsin is a departure from the old way of doing things. The PTB are no longer in charge. Therefore, with such a drastic change, we should expect some rough times. 

2. The coordinators and CBH's staff troubles are due to the fact that the PTB forced them on CBH, therefore, these rough times are actually still a product of the PTB.

Both those cannot be true. I'm not convinced EITHER is true. 

I don't think CBH had to tear everything down to the last brick as they've asserted so many times, and I also don't think the PTB are tying Harsin's hands in any way.

I think things aren't going well, and it didn't have to be this way. But it can also turn around.

Let's just not reach for every possible excuse to say it's all fine and nothing is wrong.

So I agree with you, logically, great points, I think you are right but just for the sake of running this further. I'd like your opinion.

Do you think the that both could be true?

Harsin was an attempt by ADAG to break away (unsuccessfully?) from the PTB but their undue influence still was able to be exerted through whatever ways leading to your number 2 also being true?

IMO, @AUght2winI think the WarrRapport would do some good to address the contradiction they posit.

• Like 3

wait wait wait..javarrious Johnson is in the portal? omfg. I cant, I can't even.

and now we have this Ike Jones fella dumping on the fan base for being perturbed? with all due respect Ike, you can tell us to "calm down" after spring assuming we have put pieces in place, received portal players and so forth but until then there is nothing wrong with being deeply concerned. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

The other part of his statement was that Alabama got Jameson Williams after spring from the portal. IMO using Alabama and Georgia in these type of points are more outliers than what might actually happen 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taco said:

I think there is nice medium which is where I sit. I am not in panic mode and there is a lot of time between now and the season, but there are enough things there to feel concerned. 

I do agree with what Ike says about the hypocrisy in all this with the fan base. Everybody bashed the player we have, but now that several are entering the portal it's the end of the world. 

I like Ike.  He's definitely the most positive person on the show and spins it that way.  Ha, even called me out in the last sentence.

He's not totally wrong.  But I don't think he's totally right either.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

wait wait wait..javarrious Johnson is in the portal? omfg. I cant, I can't even.

and now we have this Ike Jones fella dumping on the fan base for being perturbed? with all due respect Ike, you can tell us to "calm down" after spring assuming we have put pieces in place, received portal players and so forth but until then there is nothing wrong with being deeply concerned. 

I mean Ike is right for the most part.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

The other part of his statement was that Alabama got Jameson Williams after spring from the portal. IMO using Alabama and Georgia in these type of points are more outliers than what might actually happen 

But they had to be in the portal. Probably was trying to show there is quality players available.

• Like 1