Hypothetical Starting 5

Zeek

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I got you. I think Zep is a fine PG. he has struggled at times but so has Green. It’s really splitting hairs as which to start because both have been great this season. Each probably plays better just based on matchups. 

Well, the thing with Green is that it's been stupid mistakes that can be cleaned up. With Zep it was more like they were making him uncomfortable when they pressed, which could, I guess, work itself out in time, as well, but I think the fact that Bruce has Green at the 1 and Zep at the 2 when they're both in says something.

1 - Green

2 - KD

3 - Devan

4 - Jabari

5 - Kessler

Flan is getting flat outplayed by Devan right now. That guy deserves more minutes 

All-Time Pearl Era (insane this is only across the past 4 seasons):

1 - Jared

2 - Bryce

3 - Okoro

4 - Jabari

5 - Kessler

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, the thing with Green is that it's been stupid mistakes that can be cleaned up. With Zep it was more like they were making him uncomfortable when they pressed, which could, I guess, work itself out in time, as well, but I think the fact that Bruce has Green at the 1 and Zep at the 2 when they're both in says something.

Well yeah he plays them that way cause no way could green handle the #2 spot! But also Green is definitely just a more dynamic PG. Zep is steady and reliable. 

8 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

1 - Green

2 - KD

3 - Devan

4 - Jabari

5 - Kessler

Flan is getting flat outplayed by Devan right now. That guy deserves more minutes 

All-Time Pearl Era (insane this is only across the past 4 seasons):

1 - Jared

2 - Bryce

3 - Okoro

4 - Jabari

5 - Kessler

Choosing between KD and Brown was really hard for me. It also killed me to not include Chuma somewhere. 

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

I got you. I think Zep is a fine PG. he has struggled at times but so has Green. It’s really splitting hairs as which to start because both have been great this season. Each probably plays better just based on matchups. 

I do think Zep is a fine PG, I just think he is not as natural a primary ball handler as Wendell is. But you're right that it's splitting hairs. Only reason I wouldn't want to have them both on the floor is that KD is SUCH a clutch player that I don't want to give that up. And, admittedly I just think a lot of Jaylin Williams, so that might have slanted me a bit to put him at the 4 and move Jabari to the 3.

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Well yeah he plays them that way cause no way could green handle the #2 spot! But also Green is definitely just a more dynamic PG. Zep is steady and reliable. 

Another rather fair point, but I just don't like the idea of Zep getting most of the minutes at the point, not when we have Green. but it'll work out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

This is an awesome outside of the box line up

I thought long and hard about putting McLemore in for Cardwell. I went with Cardwell mainly for his energy and he practices everyday against Kessler.

I figured this line-up gives a good mix of shooting, shot creation and defense.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:42 AM, api1957 said:

I thought long and hard about putting McLemore in for Cardwell. I went with Cardwell mainly for his energy and he practices everyday against Kessler.

I figured this line-up gives a good mix of shooting, shot creation and defense.

At first I saw it and I thought hellno but then when I looked at it and how it's put together....I thought this would be a pretty dangerous squad

As far as my starting five I've seen a few people say with flan he's not at his best right now. I agree but I didn't see where we were picking guys status right now. In my mind I'm picking my guys and they are the best versions of themselves on my team.

Bruce Pearl era: 

1) Sharife Cooper

2) Jabari Smith

3) Isaac Okoro

4) Chuma Okeke

5) Walker Kessler

Obviously a little untraditional putting Smith at the 2, but he can give you all the spacing and shooting that you'd want while being an obvious mismatch. There’s be a drop off in ball handling and shot creation which is why I’d go with Cooper over Harper or others. 

On defense the thought is that Isaac would take the more ball dominant guard, Jabari and Chuma take the wings, Walker patrols the paint, and Cooper just kinda stands next to whichever guard is posted up at the three point line.