Harsin emphasizing the QB position

aubiefifty

6 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

True. All CFB coaches are experiencing similar challenges but key words that cause your shot to miss “their second years”. Reminder, we beat both second year 9 win coaches. 

Since were speculating on QBs….Does a healthy Nix win us two additional games therefore squelching the whining of our first year HC haters??? 

Nix gets us to 9-4 with wins over USCe, Bama and Houston.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Transfer QB Calzada was QB1.  

Solely Because of injury, then they brought in another guy.  Calzada wasn't going to be the starter going into '22 if he stayed.  

That's like saying Finely was LSU's QB1 b/c he started

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Didba said:

Nix gets us to 9-4 with wins over USCe, Bama and Houston.

Agreed. And I'd still hope for a better QB going into 2022. And I wouldn't feel differently about Harsin at all. But clearly a lot of people would. 

The old saying is if you have several that are about equal it just means you don’t have a great one.  I think that’s where we are but it will be interesting to see if one steps out front in the spring and grabs the starting position.  At least we seem to have some viable options but I think if you throw Nix in that group he would emerge as the starter.  

15 hours ago, Tony4AU said:

Yes have heard he had some type of injury and hasn’t been participating in any workouts 

I was hoping this was a troll from the bunker.  Saw it pop up there.

13 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

The old saying is if you have several that are about equal it just means you don’t have a great one.  I think that’s where we are but it will be interesting to see if one steps out front in the spring and grabs the starting position.  At least we seem to have some viable options but I think if you throw Nix in that group he would emerge as the starter.  

That's a fair and sober read on it. 

I think our best shot at a great one is a true freshman who won't be great yet. I think there might be a couple others, though, who could get to the level of "pretty good" or "good enough". And it would be hard for any of them to unseat Nix. And we probably don't take one of Ashford or Calzada, or maybe neither of them sign on if he's still here. 

That said, I think we can be a better team with one of them at QB. I think there might be a guy in the group that inspires a better overall performance from the players around him. 

16 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Has anyone heard if Calzada has had a procedure on his shoulder which may keep him out of spring practice?

I've only seen it mentioned somewhere else, but he had a sling on...

Apparently he's recovering from a shoulder injury to his non-throwing shoulder.  So he'll go through spring practice in a non-contact jersey, but should be able to throw.

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Maybe CBH should’ve kept Nix…

I don't think keeping Nix would've been an option while keeping the culture growth trending in the direction Harsin wants it to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1