Beat Kermit Davis

ShocksMyBrain

This Saturday has a potential disappointment written all over it. Really wish we were at home. 

Kermit’s teams seem to always have our number. Most aggravating brand of basketball I’ve ever seen. Never seen so many shot clocks get run down to 0 before chucking a 3 and landing it. 

So please, let’s beat Kermit and Ole Miss. 

• Like 3

Just now, tigeraddikt said:

Agree 100%. However I think we got something for Kermit come Saturday.

So happy for a long layoff between games. Thinking about going down for the game (90 miles from my house), but my bad luck genes carry.

Saw them play in 2019 in Oxford (we lost). Great little arena. Loud. 

The difference this year is I think we can beat ol miss in a game where the winning team scores 60. I don’t think we’ll have that much trouble scoring on them but if we do we can make still beat them with our D. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

The difference this year is I think we can beat ol miss in a game where the winning team scores 60. I don’t think we’ll have that much trouble scoring on them but if we do we can make still beat them with our D. 

Schuler is finally gone after playing there for 17 years. So that’s promising. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

I think our defense again is what the difference is. I said in another thread, I'm glad the bama game was on a Tuesday. Gives us enough time to focus on ole miss. Time to get the Kermit monkey off our back too.

• Like 1

I have us winning out until playing at Florida.  That will be a tough game to win.

I just don't see how Ole Miss can stay with us. I certainly don't understand the intricacies of how Ole Miss's D makes things hard, but this is not the typical Auburn offense, so I'm not sure that Ole Miss's success against us in the past is as relevant as normal. Ole Miss lost at home to Samford. That makes me think that there is a big talent gap between us and them. I see Jabari and Kessler having a big game.

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Didn’t we have success with okeke and okoro at the FT line busting their D?

if so, then jabari may have a monster night.  Possible triple double with kickout assists?

I forgot who they lost to, but I saw a mid major come into Oxford and even though they stole a victory, they probably would’ve crushed OM if they could’ve just found their bigs in the middle/paint 

Rebels play a couple zones but they’ll also trap the ball handler (at least based on that game), so if we can just have success getting the ball to Jabari around the 6-8 foot range, I think he’ll have plenty of open looks. They’ll have to run zone just bc they have a pretty meh roster this time around 

Samford was who it was 

Samford pretty much just continued to throw up threes even after OM started switching up the coverages, and they were going in more often than not

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Ole Miss is utterly unpredictable this season - scared a good Vols team in Knoxville but looked mediocre against some mediocre opponents. Need to show up with our A game this Sat and shot selection needs to improve.

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Samford was who it was 

Samford pretty much just continued to throw up threes even after OM started switching up the coverages, and they were going in more often than not

Samford hit 11 of 24 of their 3 point attempts in that game.  With time running down and Samford up 75 -73, Ol' Miss launched what they thought was a 3 that went in the basket but it was ruled players foot was on the line which would have made it 75 -75.  However, on replay, the ball had not left players hand when time expired and no points awarded.  Final Samford 75 and Ol' Miss 73.  One of the Rebel point guards looks a lot like W. Green.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Samford hit 11 of 24 of their 3 point attempts in that game.  With time running down and Samford up 75 -73, Ol' Miss launched what they thought was a 3 that went in the basket but it was ruled players foot was on the line which would have made it 75 -75.  However, on replay, the ball had not left players hand when time expired and no points awarded.  Final Samford 75 and Ol' Miss 73.  One of the Rebel point guards looks a lot like W. Green.

Yeah it was a fun watch. Samford was killing them before they started switching the coverages up. 

Ruffin is a talented dude (Pearl gave him a commitable offer that it APPEARS Ruffin declined), but he’s also not the most efficient scorer ever. And he’s also the absolute center of their offense. I feel like we just stick Zep on the guy and that’s all she wrote 

Kermit runs a 1-3-1 with some unique aspects that there is literally an entire book about how the rotations are supposed to work. One of the significant things about this zone that gives us problems is it forces the ball out of the middle of the floor (similar to an ice in man) and at the same time normally fronts the post with a zone defender able to help if a lob is thrown. It puts a lot of pressure on the post entry pass, and we know we have not done a good job at post entry passes in previous seasons. 

It will be interesting to see how this group handles it. Dribble drive should be difficult against the zone, so we will see our guards get uncomfortable. I would like to see CBP move Kessler and Smith out and allow them to throw some of the entry passes in a high low set as each has shown some passing ability and their size could be helpful passing over the zone. Additionally, there should be some backside lobs if Ole Miss fronts and cheats on Kessler, so Cambridge may get more minutes at the 3. 

One of the things I will watch is how does Wen and Zep perform. Zep did not have a great game vs Bama and Wen got a little too loose. How do they respond vs a very different defensive team?

• Thanks 1

Just one of those situations that Kermit philosophy matches up perfectly for typical Bruce offenses. Bruce has not had a front court this dominant in those previous meetings.  Hopefully Kessler can stay in the game with Jabari.  They could feast, if not initially, with the putback opportunities.  OM does not rebound well and they have some experienced guys out for injury.  I find it fitting that we have to go through Bruce's big nemesis as the final gate towards a historic ranking. 

Edited by AUBwins

29 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

@JwgreDeux, I always appreciate your informed analyses!  Thanks. 

Thanks. I actually played in a version of this zone in school. It tests a teams ball handling/passing abilities. 

It frustrates  isolation offenses so be prepared for our guys that can create to be frustrated if they don’t dish the ball when they should. 

23 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Thanks. I actually played in a version of this zone in school. It tests a teams ball handling/passing abilities. 

It frustrates  isolation offenses so be prepared for our guys that can create to be frustrated if they don’t dish the ball when they should. 

Do you think Green’s range can cause them to over extend their zone perhaps opening some lanes for KD/Zep which would also allow a dish out for Jabari to shoot deep/mid-range?

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Do you think Green’s range can cause them to over extend their zone perhaps opening some lanes for KD/Zep which would also allow a dish out for Jabari to shoot deep/mid-range?

I mean if he’s making them it always helps. I think our best way to attack it will be from the baseline (turn the zone around). Use corner dribble drives to hit cutters or get the ball to our 3 (Flannigan) and 4 (Smith) in the short corner and let them create. 

• Thanks 1