Why no timeout

LPTiger

None of us should question CBP coaching.   So don't take this post as that.   But why do you think BP rarely uses his TO's to try to stop momentum.   When they went on the 4 minute 14-0 run, everything was working for them on their offensive end and on our offensive end everything seemed to be well -- offensive.  Why not take a TO there?  Possible reasons (1) I'm not worried, they haven't shot like this all year and it will soon end (2) I don't want my guys to think I am worried (3) calling a TO only makes the crowd louder ...   I know BP has his reasons.

I was thinking the same thing last night...and reading your possible answers, I think it was a combination of 2 and 3.  Bruce really seems to trust these guys more than I have seen him trust a team before. 

• Like 1

He said something in the post game interview on the Auburn Network about not wanting the crowd to get even louder and about wanting to send the message to his players that he had faith in their ability to figure out how to adjust.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

He said something in the post game interview on the Auburn Network about not wanting the crowd to get even louder and about wanting to send the message to his players that he had faith in their ability to figure out how to adjust.

That's exactly what he said, and remember PEarl is an active coach on the sideline, and I also feel he knows he has a solid group of experienced players like Zep and Wendell, Flanigan, and even Jabari who has been trained and is basketball saavy.

Pearl was saying he could yell out to the guard to run a specific play or set even while Alabama was making their run.

I also believe without the TO, Alabama actually got tired bc it took so much out of them to get back from 14 down, and it showed in the last 2 minutes, when they missed I think 4 or 5 shots in a row, bc of our defense and I think they were tired.

It is uneasy as a fan to see such a run especially at a frenzy place like Coleman Coliseum, and for coach to not slow it down with a timeout. It natural. But I think he has done it most of his career. Some coaches are like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phil Jackson was infamous for doing this. Steve Kerr adopted it. Sure, both coaches had/have HOF players, so they could afford to take those chances. The answer really revolves around confidence in your squad to overcome. 

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I also believe without the TO, Alabama actually got tired bc it took so much out of them to get back from 14 down, and it showed in the last 2 minutes, when they missed I think 4 or 5 shots in a row, bc of our defense and I think they were tired.

This is also a big factor too. Pearl has made it known he’s 11-deep. He can run in 5 fresh bodies the next stoppage in play and turn the game right back around. The opposing HC will naturally keep the same guys in because they’re hot. As you alluded to, that’s a huge contrast of fatigue. 

• Like 1

Not taking TO's when it seems like he should is par for the course with Coach Pearl.  This is the way he has always coached.  I think he wants the team to find their own way out of runs without using up TO's that may be needed at the very end of games.  Knowing that he operates this way is still no comfort when as a fan you want them to take a damn time out to stop the bleeding.  I can't tell you how many times I have yelled at the TV over the last few seasons "TAKE A TIME OUT!!!" lol. "Take a time-out and get so and so outta there!"  That's why Pearl gets the big bucks I guess..  

All good takes above!!!!   And at the end of the day, IT FREAKING WORKED!!!!   They made their little run, pettered out and didn't make a shot in the last 4 minutes of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah BP has the pulse on things and if he needs a TO he’ll take it. Great question though as most teams and coaches would need a TO in that situation. This is a special team and we’ve got a special coach.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, BHDAU1 said:

Not taking TO's when it seems like he should is par for the course with Coach Pearl.  This is the way he has always coached.  I think he wants the team to find their own way out of runs without using up TO's that may be needed at the very end of games.  Knowing that he operates this way is still no comfort when as a fan you want them to take a damn time out to stop the bleeding.  I can't tell you how many times I have yelled at the TV over the last few seasons "TAKE A TIME OUT!!!" lol. "Take a time-out and get so and so outta there!"  That's why Pearl gets the big bucks I guess..  

The OP's post, and many of the replies like this one ^ make a VERY big assumption: that things get better by calling a timeout.  It may let the fans relax and catch their breath, but trust me, they don't always help. Sometimes the TO actually makes things worse. Players sulk, get in their own heads, look up at the scoreboard and start wondering about the time and the score etc..... It also allows the other team to get in anything they want, gives them a breather and yes energizes the home team.  I personally love him not call the TO as long as he feels his guys are mentally and physically engaged and able to turn it on their own. It builds confidence the the players, and signals that there is no reason to panic. It is part of his overall coaching freedom of the players. 

• Like 1