Auburn only has itself to blame for tonight

gr82b4au

44 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

We actually had a very capable roster this year but due to extremely poor coaching/playcalling we squandered opportunity after opportunity.

Just like this

Lol this play will live in infamy forever in AU lore. When we get back to the top of the mountain, we’ll laugh about it as an example of the dark times.

it wasn’t ALL this bad this year… but… yea this particular play was pretty terrible. Call, execution… all of it.

My big takeaway from last night was how badly college football needs something to create some parody.  If it’s just going to be the Bama UGA TaMu show then people are going to lose interest.  Need the usc Ohio states to actually be able to compete.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I don't know why some idiots want to blame Harsin for the mess Auburn is in. Yes, there were some bad coaching last year but you see that Harsin is not playing around by getting rid of two coaches. 

This love, for all things Gus, is blinding their view of the horrendous condition he left the Auburn Football Program in. Either get on board and pull in the same direction or leave! You dudes sound like a bunch of feminine women. 

many of the folks criticizing harsin are not gus lovers. there are a ton of people on here that are glad gus is gone they are just underwhelmed so far with harsin. this does not give you the right to insult people or tell them to leave as you have probably not been here long enough to realize exactly what everyone thinks on here as a newbie. the truth is auburn folks are tired of being down and harsin made some mistakes. i believe most folks on here like harsin but they are not as trusting because they did that with gus and look where we are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Took Bruce 4 long years to get Auburn BB to prominence. Of course, Barbee had run it in the ground, so he had a lot of building to do. Harsin hasn’t got quite the same hill to climb as Bruce, but does have his work cut out for him.

Barbee didn't run the basketball program into the ground, Jeff Lebo ran this program into the ground, and Gus DEFINITELY ran the football program INTO THE GROUND along with POOR LEADERSHIP from the PTB/ PRESIDENT/ and FANS.  We tend to award our coach with an out landish contract for winning the state title and a victory over UGA, that is all that matter to this fan base, not the playoffs or SEC championship. Barbee wanted NIKE and that started the pissing contest but at the end of the day he was right because under armour is hot garbage.

• Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My big takeaway from last night was how badly college football needs something to create some parody.  If it’s just going to be the Bama UGA TaMu show then people are going to lose interest.  Need the usc Ohio states to actually be able to compete.  

Nothing is preventing any major university from competing except their own commitment and decision making. Ohio State and USC of all schools should be able to compete just fine in the modern game. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I don't know why some idiots want to blame Harsin for the mess Auburn is in. Yes, there were some bad coaching last year but you see that Harsin is not playing around by getting rid of two coaches. 

This love, for all things Gus, is blinding their view of the horrendous condition he left the Auburn Football Program in. Either get on board and pull in the same direction or leave! You dudes sound like a bunch of feminine women. 

I'm not blaming him for what happened last year, I'm looking at what exactly is he doing to get us out of the mess and get us better.

He can't change facilities, but luckily that's in motion right now.  He can recruit and add talent through the portal.  For some reason, we seem to be only able to do that on the defensive side of the ball.  OL is a massive concern.  He's trying, but at some point we need results.  We'll see where we end up in a week.

• Like 1

The blame should go to the SEC and NCAA for weaponizing the south and this conference as it has. Everyone in this conference pitched into the death of parity and has gradually reduced an environment the Midwest, namely, could compete in. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nothing is preventing any major university from competing except their own commitment and decision making. Ohio State and USC of all schools should be able to compete just fine in the modern game. 

I gotta 4 hour drive coming up so I can’t expound too much right now, but the coverage of the game is definitely a huge barrier for the rest of the conferences, and the B12 commissioner spoke about that in reference to ESPN recruiting other legendary programs to the SEC. 

if recruits only see the SEC every time they check their sports app of choice, where are they gonna lean? 

With NIL (and expanded playoff hopefully) we really can only look to our own creativity/support or lack of to make excuses going forward.   Unless the NCAA comes in and regulates like saban and smart are "begging" them to do (the reason is not for the good of the game but for the good of their programs to keep the playing field unlevel and tilted just towards them), then it comes down to how agile are you as an athletics department at making it happen.   

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The blame should go to the SEC and NCAA for weaponizing the south and this conference as it has. Everyone in this conference pitched into the death of parity and has gradually reduced an environment the Midwest, namely, could compete in. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I gotta 4 hour drive coming up so I can’t expound too much right now, but the coverage of the game is definitely a huge barrier for the rest of the conferences, and the B12 commissioner spoke about that in reference to ESPN recruiting other legendary programs to the SEC. 

if recruits only see the SEC every time they check their sports app of choice, where are they gonna lean? 

This ignores that the traditional SEC states and Texas are where the high school talent is. 

It's not really a chicken or the egg debate. The SEC is the best conference because this is where the players are. TV followed, it didn't lead. And the rules are now following, too, because sports are all about talent. Other leagues in this country and around the world have known this for a long time. Anyway, I'm sure the commissioners in other conferences whine because they have no choice. They can't just acknowledge that there aren't many good football players in Minnesota and Nevada and West Virginia. They have to appeal to emotion because they can't appeal to intellect.

Without looking, I'd argue that there are more NFL players from Georgia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana and Alabama than there are from California and any 10 other states combined. This isn't complicated.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The SEC is the best conference because this is where the players are. TV followed, it didn't lead.

Yep. This is why for years we saw only the Big 10, ACC, and Big East on tv come basketball season. Hell, now just about every game in every sport seems to be televised somewhere. Lack of exposure isn’t a problem for most schools in a major conference 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

Barbee didn't run the basketball program into the ground, Jeff Lebo ran this program into the ground, and Gus DEFINITELY ran the football program INTO THE GROUND along with POOR LEADERSHIP from the PTB/ PRESIDENT/ and FANS.  We tend to award our coach with an out landish contract for winning the state title and a victory over UGA, that is all that matter to this fan base, not the playoffs or SEC championship. Barbee wanted NIKE and that started the pissing contest but at the end of the day he was right because under armour is hot garbage.

Barbee is the worst basketball coach AU ever had. He was waaaayyyy worse than Lebo. We are still an Under Armour school and currently ranked #4 in the country and went to a final 4 a couple years ago. So yeah the NIKE excuse has proven to be pretty lame. Good coaches can get good players regardless of what shoes the team wear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yep. This is why for years we saw only the Big 10, ACC, and Big East on tv come basketball season. Hell, now just about every game in every sport seems to be televised somewhere. Lack of exposure isn’t a problem for most schools in a major conference 

Pretty much the only conference that can complain is the PAC 12. There's only so much that can be done, though, about most Americans being asleep when their games start. Even then, the relative weakness of their product was apparent at least 15 years ago. It was USC and nobody else. Then Oregon took advantage of the post-USC glow and the complete absence of any competition only to get embarrassed on the national stage. 

Not sure how the sport becomes truly national again, but it's going to be tough. (Even with NIL, which is actually going to give leverage to a ton of programs that previously had none.) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Barbee is the worst basketball coach AU ever had. He was waaaayyyy worse than Lebo. We are still an Under Armour school and currently ranked #4 in the country and went to a final 4 a couple years ago. So yeah the NIKE excuse has proven to be pretty lame. Good coaches can get good players regardless of what shoes the team wear. 

Barbee had to clean up Lebo's mess and wasn't given the tool's to do it.. so why is it that Barbee is the reason for so much hate and not Lebo? and this is Bruce record 15-20/ 11-20/ 18-14/ 26-8/30-10/ 25-6/ 13-14 now 14-1 and I like what Bruce has done but it has not been all peaches and cream and under armor is still garbage juice.

3 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Barbee had to clean up Lebo's mess and wasn't given the tool's to do it.. so why is it that Barbee is the reason for so much hate and not Lebo? and this is Bruce record 15-20/ 11-20/ 18-14/ 26-8/30-10/ 25-6/ 13-14 now 14-1 and I like what Bruce has done but it has not been all peaches and cream and under armor is still garbage juice.

Lebo was no great coach but Barbee was complete garbage. What tools has Bruce had that Barbee did not? It took Bruce a couple seasons to get it going exactly because of the way Barbee left the program not because of under armour. 

I mean if you want to get in a debate about who was worse Lebo or Barbee maybe that is an interesting discussion. Fact is both were horrible and sent the basketball program to depths never seen before.

• Like 1

A lot of you people are nuts, literally nuts. I am not going to let a game that kids play, dominate, or determine the happiness in my life. I was frustrated watching Gustav, the last few years, but get a grip. Auburn will rebound. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Watching the championship game last night was kind of depressing. Hoping for better days ahead. War Eagle!

I couldn’t do it.  Did not watch a second of it.  Woke up and saw the final score.  I’m also looking forward to better days ahead.  WDE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Nice deflection. You point out how we lost South Carolina. So I point out that we did the same thing the year before with the same talent.. then you switch gears. 
Harsin has only been here one year and yes it was not that good…

but he did not get us into this mess.

Yes. Thurston Howell III, has made his disdain for Harsin known. Again. And again. And again........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Lebo was no great coach but Barbee was complete garbage. What tools has Bruce had that Barbee did not? It took Bruce a couple seasons to get it going exactly because of the way Barbee left the program not because of under armour. 

I mean if you want to get in a debate about who was worse Lebo or Barbee maybe that is an interesting discussion. Fact is both were horrible and sent the basketball program to depths never seen before.

look, I agree with the fact that both were not the answer, but, under armour is a second rate apparel and I am not trying to say that under armour is the reason for there down fall.

6 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Yes. Thurston Howell III, has made his disdain for Harsin known. Again. And again. And again........

He also blamed 2020 on Chad Morris. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

many of the folks criticizing harsin are not gus lovers. there are a ton of people on here that are glad gus is gone they are just underwhelmed so far with harsin. this does not give you the right to insult people or tell them to leave as you have probably not been here long enough to realize exactly what everyone thinks on here as a newbie. the truth is auburn folks are tired of being down and harsin made some mistakes. i believe most folks on here like harsin but they are not as trusting because they did that with gus and look where we are.

So it's Harsin's fault because Gus was trusted too much?

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

look, I agree with the fact that both were not the answer, but, under armour is a second rate apparel and I am not trying to say that under armour is the reason for there down fall.

Just know that no praise of or shifting of blame away from Tony Barbee is acceptable around here. 😂

• Haha 1