Another lie about maps from NC Republicans. When will they learn to tell the truth?

aubiefifty

Despite three gerrymandering lawsuits and experts calling North Carolina’s legislative maps an extreme partisan outlier, Republican lawmakers have maintained that this has been the “most transparent redistricting process in state history.”

As it turns out, that was a lie.

Rep. Destin Hall, the House Redistricting Committee chairman, admitted in court this week that he used secret maps, drawn privately by his aide, as a guide when he drafted the new House districts. Hall claimed that these “concept maps” didn’t rely on racial or partisan data and “played very little role” in his official map-making process.

And North Carolinians are just going to have to take his word for it, because we can’t see the maps for ourselves. Conveniently enough, they “were not saved, are currently lost, and no longer exist,” Hall’s legal team said in a court filing. And the aide who created them left his job shortly after the maps became law, so he is no longer “subject to the demands” of the lawsuit.

It’s a revelation that many Democrats and fair maps advocates had suspected to be true. But Hall had, outside of court, denied it. In fact, what Hall said under oath was different from what he had previously told the public and his colleagues on the House floor.

Shortly before the House voted on the maps in November, Democratic Rep. Marcia Morey asked Hall if he referred to or consulted with any outside materials when drawing them.

Hall said no.

“Every part of this map-making process was done in public and was recorded and archived for anyone who would like to go see how the maps were drawn,” Hall said at the time.

Except it wasn’t. In addition to the “concept maps,” Hall admitted in court Wednesday that he and key staffers would retreat to a private room for “strategy sessions” to discuss the maps. These discussions happened away from the cameras, behind closed doors, where audio and video wasn’t being recorded.

Hall lied, but he’s not the only one who did. Every one of his fellow Republicans who knew what he was doing — and went along with it — was part of the lie. It’s a reminder that, no matter what they tell the public, Republicans are too often willing to abandon fair and honest map-making for the sake of winning. And, to be clear, these maps are anything but fair. Rated an “F” for extreme partisan bias by the Princeton Gerrymandering Project, they’re skewed in a way that gives Republicans an unfair advantage in trillions of scenarios, mathematicians say. In the past, at least, Republicans admitted to what they were trying to do — former Rep. David Lewis famously said that giving Republicans a partisan advantage was his goal all along.

North Carolinians can’t be blamed if they have difficulty believing what the GOP tells them about redistricting — and perhaps more. Certainly, the GOP isn’t the only party in North Carolina with a history of engaging in backroom dealing. Democrats also have been less than transparent — and less than honest — with the public about it.

But this deception comes at a precarious moment for North Carolinians and Americans. Trust in government couldn’t be more fragile, and honesty, from elected officials especially, is critical. Yet one year after Donald Trump’s own lies fomented an insurrection, Republicans are still too casual with the truth. They game the redistricting process so that they can win and call it “fair.” They chip away at voting rights by falsely invoking “election integrity.” Those aren’t just white lies; they’re dangerous.

In the end, Hall’s lie is probably not terribly relevant to the path of the case. Regardless of what this panel of judges concludes, the case will almost inevitably head to the N.C. Supreme Court, where it will be decided on larger issues. But this lie — and all of the others — chip away at our democracy. Maps can be redrawn, but trust is harder to regain.

i dub the rpubs the new "Pants on fire" party. it is all they have.

oh yeah i forgot to add the lying cheating repubs have introduced over four hundred bills in most of our states designed to steal the votes from people. this is fact. this is a disgrace and all the gerrymandering is to stop folks from voting and not because they think folks are cheating. it should be easier to vote than harder. there should be a national holiday for voting so those that are refused time to vote can still vote. no party should be enacting or even trying to put forth laws that put hardships on voting. people should be given a private security code so they can call in their vote. i am so sick of repukes turning america into a third world country. it is one of our most cherished freedoms in this country and one that other countries do not get to exercise.

Edited by aubiefifty
i changed laws for bills tho many passed in repub states.
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 10:01 AM, aubiefifty said:

oh yeah i forgot to add the lying cheating repubs have introduced over four hundred bills in most of our states designed to steal the votes from people. this is fact. this is a disgrace and all the gerrymandering is to stop folks from voting and not because they think folks are cheating. it should be easier to vote than harder. there should be a national holiday for voting so those that are refused time to vote can still vote. no party should be enacting or even trying to put forth laws that put hardships on voting. people should be given a private security code so they can call in their vote. i am so sick of repukes turning america into a third world country. it is one of our most cherished freedoms in this country and one that other countries do not get to exercise.

How does gerrymandering stop a person from voting?

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Strange how that works, isn't it?

I mean, my voter registration card disintegrated upon completion of re-districting here. 😏

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the "fox in the henhouse" nature of non-independent commissions doing any redrawing of districts, but I am in favor of having that decision rest with the states themselves.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, SLAG-91 said:

Strange how that works, isn't it?

I mean, my voter registration card disintegrated upon completion of re-districting here. 😏

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the "fox in the henhouse" nature of non-independent commissions doing any redrawing of districts, but I am in favor of having that decision rest with the states themselves.

Presumably -  unlike jordan - you do understand that gerrymandering and voting rights are completely separate issues?

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Presumably -  unlike jordan - you do understand that gerrymandering and voting rights are completely separate issues?

I'd like to think that the side-eye smiley face and sarcastic response would have sufficed, but yes. Your condescendion is duly noted. 😐

• Like 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

I was responding to fiddy:   "all the gerrymandering is to stop folks from voting".  I understand completely what gerrymandering is. Sounds like fiddy is the one you should hurl your insult at, not me.  BTW, fiddy did not answer the question. Do you have a deal where you attempt to rescue him when he is stumped by insulting other posters asking simple questions?

On 1/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, jj3jordan said:

I mean Republicans are actively doing both. Gerrymandering AND trying to make voting as difficult and inconvenient as possible through laws. 

Gerrymandering does discourage a lot of people from voting because many districts are specially drawn to ensure that one party always wins every election there no matter the candidate's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I mean Republicans are actively doing both. Gerrymandering AND trying to make voting as difficult and inconvenient as possible through laws. 

Gerrymandering does discourage a lot of people from voting because many districts are specially drawn to ensure that one party always wins every election there no matter the candidate's.

Why would a person not vote for their candidate of choice? You think the average voter is educated in the district line drawings?  Are you not supposed to win a district if you have more votes? So they don't vote and complain about losing the vote? Maybe there is a reason the win every time. They get more votes. They could move to another district. Become an activist and talk to voters. Campaign for their candidate. Or just b***h about losing by blaming republican gerrymandering but completely ignoring democrat gerrymandering.  Outlaw it if you want, but don't imply it is only republicans doing it.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

I'd like to think that the side-eye smiley face and sarcastic response would have sufficed, but yes. Your condescendion is duly noted. 😐

Well, obviously you were wrong.  (These new icons suck.)

But thanks for clearing that up.