Men vs South Carolina Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Wendell is so good.

Also...

selena-gomez-t-hats-my-man.gif 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

I think any 15 point win on the road, in conference, is a good win. Jabari has to start taking care of the ball though. 

It’s kind of awesome that we can walk out with a 15 point road victory and claim it was ugly though. 

• Like 2

I haven’t read the entire thread so this may have been mentioned….but seems like there were a lot of Auburn fans at the game. Also did not seem there was much home court support. Now I had my sound down a lot but it does seem like Auburn has fans at most away arenas

• Love 1

Sorry, I might have missed it but did we ever find out what was wrong with Allen and why he didn't play?  Didn't see a thread on him and was wondering is he only out tonight or will he back for Florida game.

4 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

I think any 15 point win on the road, in conference, is a good win. Jabari has to start taking care of the ball though. 

That's fair! Everyone has an opinion. Some stretches of really poor play that can't show up against a good team though. I could get into some deeper perspectives on why I feel how I do, but I can already tell by reactions that people on here have already made their minds about where I'm coming from lol.  

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s kind of awesome that we can walk out with a 15 point road victory and claim it was ugly though. 

I think some Auburn fans still have that plucky outlook on our team. My expectations have been raised for a while, when I say something like "top 6 NET team with 3 top 100 players had an ugly win vs a near quad 3 opponent", that's just the perspective you have when you expect alot more. I don't expect we should have 17 turnovers vs a squad that's giving us wide open lanes to the rim for 75% of the game or to give up at least 10+ wide open threes (and they still finished 42% while missing many of those in the first half) to a squad 235th in 3 point percentage.

It's not me trying to be a debbie downer, I have tons of posts of praise for the squad. Even by the NCAA's metric, it's a quad 2 win, which is a good win. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If we get our turnovers down to ten a game or so this could be the best team in the country. 

Flan has the coof right? I watched most of the game at a restaurant and missed most of the commentary. 

it would appear. I believe it was heavily hinted that Cambridge had it when he missed the last game, but it doesnt seem like multiple players are sitting out, so Im assuming its just incidental contact

Really good that they're catching it early. Aub had 0 cases last season iirc, so big ups to their medical team 

56 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Sorry, I might have missed it but did we ever find out what was wrong with Allen and why he didn't play?  Didn't see a thread on him and was wondering is he only out tonight or will he back for Florida game.

Tate said after the game on the Brain Drain that he was led to believe it was a non-Covid illness. Hopefully he just ate something that didn't agree with him. 

46 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Tate said after the game on the Brain Drain that he was led to believe it was a non-Covid illness. Hopefully he just ate something that didn't agree with him. 

I hope that is all it is. While we are formattable without him, we are stronger with him.  We'll likely hear more tomorrow or leading up to Florida game.  Thanks for the info.

Watching SEC Now tonight and one of the host said the coaches he has talked with agree Auburn is loaded. How many out there can remember the days of Auburn basketball when one of our top players had an off night we would come away with a 15 point conference win on the road? Yeah, neither do I.:party:

52 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Watching SEC Now tonight and one of the host said the coaches he has talked with agree Auburn is loaded. How many out there can remember the days of Auburn basketball when one of our top players had an off night we would come away with a 15 point conference win on the road? Yeah, neither do I.:party:

Not only did the best Auburn player have an off night. Another of Auburn's best players(Flannigan) didn't play at all.

10 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

10 guys played 10 guys scored.  Ugly second half.  Our super star was average.

I’ll take a 15 point learning opportunity win on the road in the sec any day.

Yes!  It’s exciting that we are this good and still have a lot to work on!   Jabari in the discussion for #1 overall pick and he is nowhere near his ceiling yet.   Flan being out again is keeping us from getting him gelled with the guys on the floor (although based on the LSU game, I don’t think that will take as long as I thought).  Green was a stud last night!!!

34 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

As soon as I pressed the submit reply button, I realized that I walked right into a “that’s what she said” joke. 🤦‍♂️
Also, does anyone else think that Frank Martin is a scary looking guy.   In fact, he’s so scary that his hair ran away from his head!🥁

Back off.  Frank has had some really bad health issues and almost died from cancer.  He is also a nice guy.

• Like 1

South Carolina played a really in your face style of defense all game. This resulted in a lot of back cuts and layups for AU but i think that is also what bothered Jabari so much. He just has not had to deal with that kind of pressure at all times. And then you add in the quick 2 fouls in the first half he just never got in a groove. I will say that second foul they called on him was absolute garbage. He straight up did not touch the guy nor did he undercut him. Ref just made up his mind the foul was going to happen so he called it even though Jabari pulled back. Garbage foul call. 

Wendell played an amazing first half....like Jared Harper final four run level of amazing. But then I thought he really struggled in the second half. Gotta pick your spots on taking those long 3s and he just was trying to do too much. And then Zep just kind of lost his way as well so we had no one who could spur the offense in the second half. But hey these are big boy teams we are playing now so they can make you look bad from time to time. 

I also thought Moore and Williams both had really good nights. Moore was flying all over the place and making plays. Love how our backups stay ready and take advantage when they get the opportunity. 

40 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Back off.  Frank has had some really bad health issues and almost died from cancer.  He is also a nice guy.

So sorry.  Not meant to be derogatory at all.  I will delete.   I don’t want to offend anyone else.  

• Like 2

Pressing like that down 17 with 40 seconds left...a bit Busch League and personally a little surprised at Martin.  Had frustration written all over it.

33 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Pressing like that down 17 with 40 seconds left...a bit Busch League and personally a little surprised at Martin.  Had frustration written all over it.

I would wager it was just trying to send a message to his own team. They had a few stretches of really poor effort and low IQ play that isn’t consistent with his type of team 

• Like 5

A win like that against USCe on the road is huge. USCe usually gives us fits. I was really proud of Cardwell's game. He looked really good. I was concerned about him after the last game where he looked lost. 

What a fun season this is!!!

• Like 2

The guys on SEC Now mentioned that South Carolina went to the Final Four a few years ago under Frank Martin but that they've been very up and down since that Final Four run. They said Auburn also went to a Final Four a few years back but they've been the total opposite of South Carolina and they've been a contender for the SEC Title for 5 years now. That felt so awesome hearing college basketball analysts say that about our program. Our basketball program is at heights we've never seen before (it seems sustained now rather than having 1 big season like in the past) and I feel like we will continue to attract top talent if we keep getting players drafted every year like recent years. I love Bruce Pearl and ae at Auburn are SOOOO lucky to have him. WDE

• Like 3