Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Many of you know I'm from Florence, the headquarters of TNT fireworks is there. The CEO is a Tennessee alum, as long as I can remember over the summer Tennessee football players would be there working and we all know they received a bunch of extra.

At the University of North Alabama guys would get jobs with TVA and various other places and get money. 

I saw players at Auburn do the same. This is nothing new. It's always been going on, just now the ante has went up and it's legit. But there's always been a game behind scenes. If you were ok back then you'll be ok now. The most important and enticing thing will still and always be are you good at getting guys to the NFL. If you are good at that everything else will fall into place.

IMO, nobody has a clue where it is going. Only viable option is try to keep up as much is possible. AU will continue to survey where they are and try to pivot as needed ($$$$ impact is way too high not to).

Edited by Hank2020
Spellcheck
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gctiger said:

I never claimed to have the solution to any of the problems, but what I do know is that between NIL and the portal, chaos is becoming the norm.  Roster management wasn't much of an issue in the past, but it's rapidly becoming a major issue.  It's working well for several of the already established top tier teams, but certainly hasn't worked too well for Auburn.  College football is supposed to be amateur athletics but it is starting to resemble the NFL and IMO that's not a good thing!

It will be like COVID year. The guys we have will play. Roster management is more simple than we think. We (fans may not know what to expect ( which is probably bothering us more than anything)).

20 minutes ago, gctiger said:

So why didn't Auburn rack up OL like Texas with a $50,000 NIL deal for each lineman?  The fact is that although Auburn has established an NIL program, it's currently far from a flagship program.

People keep bringing up 2 schools out of 130. Just because AU isn't doing exactly what they are doing, it doesn't mean there is some huge failure. Being the earliest doesn't always mean the best. In fact, it rarely does. 

We don't know how any of this will work out long term. But I predict AU will be on par with the top schools. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gctiger said:

And now that it's legal, it can be done to the Nth degree.  My concern is that Auburn can be easily out bid/spent by Texas, TAMU, Bama and other traditional powers.  At least it had to be done discretely and better controlled prior to NIL.  The genie is out of the bottle so to speak, but we will have to see where it ends up.

UT and TAMU more then likely could out spent us but not bama or most others we have the bucks to stay with vast majority of the big boys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Because Auburn had a reputation of not preparing o line and hasn't been successful. As far as your numbers and stuff I'd have to see something factual before I believe it. People on here has had the believe what ever they are told syndrome and ran with stories. Even when the truth is presented people refused to listen to the truth just because it didn't sound as good.

And if it's true....so Auburn couldn't afford to do the same? This is just bonuses for some people employed by Auburn that really don't do too much. If we don't want to pay.....well ok, that was our decision

So with our new staff and NIL we still can’t compete with the big boys?  That’s a comforting thought…

Just research their facilities and what they’re paying their staffs.  They’re far ahead of most schools.  

Edited by gctiger

5 minutes ago, gctiger said:

So with our new staff and NIL we still can’t compete with the big boys.  That’s a comforting thought…

Just research their facilities and what they’re paying their staffs.  They’re far ahead of most schools.  

Reading comprehension is hard

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

So with our new staff and NIL we still can’t compete with the big boys.  That’s a comforting thought…

What school are you talking about? Texas? Why would you think we are supposed to be competing with them and their in state recruits right off the bat? That doesn't make sense to me

54 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

UT and TAMU more then likely could out spent us but not bama or most others we have the bucks to stay with vast majority of the big boys

I don’t doubt that we may be financially capable of competing with most schools, but until the money starts flowing we’re no better than many of them.  IMO we’re way behind bama.  They’ve already had several major facility upgrades courtesy of their big money boosters.

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What school are you talking about? Texas? Why would you think we are supposed to be competing with them and their in state recruits right off the bat? That doesn't make sense to me

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Texas, TAMU, Bama.  Where did I mention their in state recruits?  In case you missed the news, Texas will be coming to the SEC.  Don’t you think it’s best to start ramping up to compete against them now, instead of waiting and letting them slap us around a bit before we get serious?

If you will take the time to thoroughly read my posts prior to responding they may make more sense… 

Edited by gctiger

9 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I don’t doubt that we may be financially capable of competing with most schools, but until the money starts flowing we’re no better than many of them.  IMO we’re way behind bama.  They’ve already had several major facility upgrades courtesy of their big money boosters.

yep, I imagine most of the top ~12 brands in CFB right now have way more liquid funds than we do. Really no value in having that type money in the NIL world if you hardly can use it 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Texas, TAMU, Bama.  Where did I mention their in state recruits?  In case you missed the news, Texas will be coming to the SEC.  Don’t you think it’s best to start ramping up to compete against them now, instead of waiting and letting them slap us around a bit before we get serious?

If you will take the time to thoroughly read my posts prior to responding they may make more sense… 

You didn't have to mention, I did to help you think. Texas signed a bunch of in state recruits. Bammer is winning titles and sending 1st round picks every year. And you are saying why isn't our staff competing with them right now on that level.......well think about it. Why?

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You didn't have to mention, I did to help you think. Texas signed a bunch of in state recruits. Bammer is winning titles and sending 1st round picks every year. And you are saying why isn't our staff competing with them right now on that level.......well think about it. Why?

I’m talking about the money!  Those programs have been making major investments in their programs and facilities for years and we haven’t.  They’ve also better planned and invested in NIL and that’s why they’re signing the better recruits.  We may have the money but, it doesn’t appear it’s being wisely skent and it’s certainly not showing up in results.  

Edited by gctiger

5 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I’m talking about the money!  Those programs have been making major investments in their programs and facilities for years and we haven’t.  They’ve also better planned and invested in NIL and that’s why they’re signing the better recruits.  We may have the money but, it doesn’t appear it’s being wisely skent and it’s certainly not showing up in results.  

I agree we'll need to have stuff to offer as well but you are silly if you think it's just money. It's not just some other school says 55 and they'll change. 

They have to feel they'll get to the league and compete at your school. There's absolutely no reason to think we would come in and take Texas recruits away and recruit better than bammer. We aren't some super echelon program

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree we'll need to have stuff to offer as well but you are silly if you think it's just money. It's not just some other school says 55 and they'll change. 

They have to feel they'll get to the league and compete at your school. There's absolutely no reason to think we would come in and take Texas recruits away and recruit better than bammer. We aren't some super echelon program

You make no sense at all!   If it’s not about the money, then what’s it about?

It’s naive to think it’s about anything but money!  It’s takes a lot of money to play big boy football and Auburn hasn’t antied up for years, while the Bamas, Clemsons, TAMU’s and others have.  They have the best coaching staffs and facilities that money can buy. It’s the money that pays for the coaches, facilities, recruiting, NIL, etc., because it’s certainly not free. The reason we’re not a super echelon program is a lack of financial commitment and acceptance of mediocrity.  Until that changes we will remain near the bottom of the pack.  Why shouldn’t we think we can recruit better than Texas and Bama?  We better start thinking we can be competing with these schools if we ever expect to win another natty.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, gctiger said:

You make no sense at all!   If it’s not about the money, then what’s it about?

It’s naive to think it’s about anything but money!  It’s takes a lot of money to play big boy football and Auburn hasn’t antied up for years, while the Bamas, Clemsons, TAMU’s and others have.  They have the best coaching staffs and facilities that money can buy. It’s the money that pays for the coaches, facilities, recruiting, NIL, etc., because it’s certainly not free. The reason we’re not a super echelon program is a lack of financial commitment and acceptance of mediocrity.  Until that changes we will remain near the bottom of the pack.  Why shouldn’t we think we can recruit better than Texas and Bama?  We better start thinking we can be competing with these schools if we ever expect to win another natty.  

He's clearly saying it's not only about the money. There are other factors that are important, too. 

Bama is the best because they have the best coach. And it's not as simple as pay the most for the best coach. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cbo said:

He's clearly saying it's not only about the money. There are other factors that are important, too. 

Bama is the best because they have the best coach. And it's not as simple as pay the most for the best coach. 

Bro this guy......this dude asked me how did I know slave owners were lazy......said it was a woke chip on my shoulder. Like you said clearly I said it's not just money.

I guess he's trolling me

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bro this guy......this dude asked me how did I know slave owners were lazy......said it was a woke chip on my shoulder. Like you said clearly I said it's not just money.

I guess he's trolling me

Wow. Yeah I don't know where he's coming from with some of this. 

Funny that the same university that isn't willing to spend money has a kick ass basketball team right now. The reason? The coach, of course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Wow. Yeah I don't know where he's coming from with some of this. 

Funny that the same university that isn't willing to spend money has a kick ass basketball team right now. The reason? The coach, of course. 

Bingo!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cbo said:

Where did I say anything about "pay the most for the best coach"?  

The sole goal of any business is to make money.  Auburn Football is a business so by definition, it's "mostly" about money!  Feel better now?

47 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Where did I say anything about "pay the most for the best coach"?  

The sole goal of any business is to make money.  Auburn Football is a business so by definition, it's "mostly" about money!  Feel better now?

Holy crap, you are all over the place with this. 

I thought you were worried about saving "amateur" sports?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Holy crap, you are all over the place with this. 

I thought you were worried about saving "amateur" sports?

Good grief!  If you wish to take the time to slowly review my review my comments, you'll likely find that most of my "all over the place comments" are in response to the "all over the place comments" made by Cole256.  A couple of you guys are hell bent on taking my statements out of context and twisting my words, but I'll take the time to dumb it down for you guys. 

I absolutely hate that college football, which is supposed to be an amateur sport has become big business, but it is what it is.  It doesn't appear that it will be returning it the good old days, so given the current circumstances we have to make the most of the situation, which means making major investments in the program so that the program can remain competitive and, yes, earn a "profit".  In other words, if your gonna play with the big boys, you've gotta play like the big boys!  Understand now? 

Edited by gctiger

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Good grief!  If you wish to take the time to slowly review my review my comments, you'll likely find that most of my "all over the place comments" are in response to the "all over the place comments" made by Cole256.  A couple of you guys are hell bent on taking my statements out of context and twisting my words, but I'll take the time to dumb it down for you guys. 

I absolutely hate that college football, which is supposed to be an amateur sport has become big business, but it is what it is.  It doesn't appear that it will be returning it the good old days, so given the current circumstances we have to make the most of the situation, which means making major investments in the program so that the program can remain competitive and, yes, earn a "profit".  In other words, if your gonna play with the big boys, you've gotta play like the big boys!  Understand now? 

So you DO want to pay players?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So you DO want to pay players?

As I've stated previously, I feel that the players should receive some additional compensation to help them out with their living expenses.  Although for I'm for free enterprise, I'm against NIL in it's current form, because there are no regulations in place and I fear that it will create a bidding war type of environment for teams.  I also think that in many cases it's detrimental for 18-22 year olds to have access to excessive amounts of cash because they may have issues managing it in a responsible manner.  Drug issues are not all that uncommon for college athletes, but it's very possible that they may become more prevalent when there's an abundance of cash on hand.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Haha 2