Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

21 hours ago, gctiger said:

IMO NIL needs to be reigned in, in order to save amateur sports

What does that mean, though?

What really changes from how things were in whatever era you want us to go back to?

21 hours ago, gctiger said:

Now that the pandora is out of the box, attending the games may soon become unaffordable.

They're already unaffordable for most folks. That has absolutely nothing to do with NIL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What really changes from how things were in whatever era you want us to go back to?

They're already unaffordable for most folks. That has absolutely nothing to do with NIL. 

I never claimed to have the solution to any of the problems, but what I do know is that between NIL and the portal, chaos is becoming the norm.  Roster management wasn't much of an issue in the past, but it's rapidly becoming a major issue.  It's working well for several of the already established top tier teams, but certainly hasn't worked too well for Auburn.  College football is supposed to be amateur athletics but it is starting to resemble the NFL and IMO that's not a good thing!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Roster management wasn't much of an issue in the past, but it's rapidly becoming a major issue.

Roster management has been a major issues for decades. Granted, it's a little more complicated now. But it will also be very beneficial to a program like ours if we manage it right. A godsend, actually. We can essentially swap 7 players that were inherited from the previous staff for players that better fit our current staff's needs. That could massively accelerate the roster rebuild. 

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

It's working well for several of the already established top tier teams, but certainly hasn't worked too well for Auburn.

Not yet, no. But given that we're less than a year into it, maybe we should pause a beat and see how it goes? Also, Jackson State seems to have benefited quite a bit from it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Roster management wasn't much of an issue in the past

It has been an issue at Auburn since 2015.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Roster management has been a major issues for decades. Granted, it's a little more complicated now. But it will also be very beneficial to a program like ours if we manage it right. A godsend, actually. We can essentially swap 7 players that were inherited from the previous staff for players that better fit our current staff's needs. That could massively accelerate the roster rebuild. 

Not yet, no. But given that we're less than a year into it, maybe we should pause a beat and see how it goes? Also, Jackson State seems to have benefited quite a bit from it.

I realize that it's till early, but it doesn't appear to be trending well...

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It has been an issue at Auburn since 2015.

My concern is that it appears to be getting worse instead of better...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If you would seen the stuff this guy said yesterday......there's no talking sense into this guy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gctiger said:

It's working well for several of the already established top tier teams, but certainly hasn't worked too well for Auburn.

True. Now imagine how well its working out for the Wyomings and La Techs of the world. They are being relegated to minor league feeding systems. It is quickly destroying the Group of 5 level programs and I hate to see that. They have fans and communities who love and support them too. 

• Like 1

You guys have loss all logic because you think it is the end of the world with Auburn having a losing season. It will be okay. Things aren’t as bad or good as everyone makes it out to be.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It is?

I believe it will in time. Example:(let’s say Marshall or Ohio) So a coach is building a program in a Group of Five school. It’s not a nationally acclaimed program but they're competitive in their league and market. They’re not a premium brand to you and I but they have their following regionally and locally. Between the portal and NIL, they are going to start losing their top tier talent almost as soon as they begin to flourish. Wyoming’s freshman QB had a great bowl game and immediately entered the portal after. Same for Marshall’s QB. Power 5 programs will do what we have done: you take Bo Nix, then we sign another Power 5 QB. The lesser programs can’t do that. And they certainly can’t compete with the NIL dollars. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I believe it will in time. Example:(let’s say Marshall or Ohio) So a coach is building a program in a Group of Five school. It’s not a nationally acclaimed program but they're competitive in their league and market. They’re not a premium brand to you and I but they have their following regionally and locally. Between the portal and NIL, they are going to start losing their top tier talent almost as soon as they begin to flourish. Wyoming’s freshman QB had a great bowl game and immediately entered the portal after. Same for Marshall’s QB. Power 5 programs will do what we have done: you take Bo Nix, then we sign another Power 5 QB. The lesser programs can’t do that. And they certainly can’t compete with the NIL dollars. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am. 

Since when did power 5 programs ever care about non-power 5 programs? The bigger schools have always poached players, coaches , etc. Now all of a sudden you guys care? Lol.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Since when did power 5 programs ever care about non-power 5 programs? The bigger schools have always poached players, coaches , etc. Now all of a sudden you guys care? Lol.

Personally, I only care whether or not it helps or hurts Auburn.  I don’t want to see Auburn get buried by all the big spenders.  That’s it.  Players getting payed?  Cool.  Good for them and don’t forget to pay your taxes.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The Wyoming kid transferred to Utah State. Not sure about the Marshall kid.

UCF just signed a former 5*.

The talent distribution goes both directions. A lot of P5 kids will go "down" looking for playing time. A lot of other kids will choose being the BMOC at Jackson State over being just another guy at FSU.

Back to UCF, their enrollment is 66k. They might have access to some NIL $. A place like Boise now has a shot at one or two 5*s from time to time vs none. Cincinnati just participated in a playoff game. 

At the end of the day, though, I'm not really worried about it because the kids are merely being granted what they should have had all along. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The Wyoming kid transferred to Utah State. Not sure about the Marshall kid.

UCF just signed a former 5*.

The talent distribution goes both directions. A lot of P5 kids will go "down" looking for playing time. A lot of other kids will choose being the BMOC at Jackson State over being just another guy at FSU.

Back to UCF, their enrollment is 66k. They might have access to some NIL $. A place like Boise now has a shot at one or two 5*s from time to time vs none. Cincinnati just participated in a playoff game. 

At the end of the day, though, I'm not really worried about it because the kids are merely being granted what they should have had all along. 

Good points. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This stuff has been happening since the 70s. 

It’s just legal now 

And now that it's legal, it can be done to the Nth degree.  My concern is that Auburn can be easily out bid/spent by Texas, TAMU, Bama and other traditional powers.  At least it had to be done discretely and better controlled prior to NIL.  The genie is out of the bottle so to speak, but we will have to see where it ends up.

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

Auburn can be easily out bid/spent by Texas, TAMU, Bama and other traditional powers.

I don’t think this is inherently true at all.  

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don’t think this is inherently true at all.  

Auburn may not have been outbid in any head to head battles just yet, but Texas and TAMU got out in front early and have already established flagship NIL programs.  Both of those schools heavily utilized NIL incentives to sign their currently ranked top 5 recruiting classes.  Furthermore, both schools have more deep pocket donors that the vast majority of other schools.  

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, the data collected so far indicates otherwise.

It's too early to say that the sky is falling, but it appears that Auburn got off to a fairly slow start with NIL, at least compared to these schools.

Edited by gctiger

First of all if the bidding stuff is true it 's still moot because it's not like we were getting 5 stars before nil. 

Second it's stupid to think that we wouldn't be able to offer what other school's would offer. It's like people put on the tin foil hats but decide to not think at all. It's not like people would be bidding 100's of millions on a guy. Auburn could certainly generate thousands as well as anybody else could.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Auburn may not have been outbid in any head to head battles just yet, but Texas and TAMU got out in front early and have already established flagship NIL programs.  Both of those schools heavily utilized NIL incentives to sign their currently ranked top 5 recruiting classes.  While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, the data collected so far indicates otherwise.

This may surprise you but Auburn is the 9th most valuable football program.  We are the big boys.  I understand that so many havE little brother syndrome, but in reality we are not.  We will successfully compete as long as people get the value out of their investments.  

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

First of all if the bidding stuff is true it 's still moot because it's not like we were getting 5 stars before nil. 

Second it's stupid to think that we wouldn't be able to offer what other school's would offer. It's like people put on the tin foil hats but decide to not think at all. It's not like people would be bidding 100's of millions on a guy. Auburn could certainly generate thousands as well as anybody else could.

So why didn't Auburn rack up OL like Texas with a $50,000 NIL deal for each lineman?  The fact is that although Auburn has established an NIL program, it's currently far from a flagship program.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm no Marshall football guru but I was under the impression that he was transferring because of the Pennington kid most likely starting next year. I do agree with your point however

• Dislike 1

Many of you know I'm from Florence, the headquarters of TNT fireworks is there. The CEO is a Tennessee alum, as long as I can remember over the summer Tennessee football players would be there working and we all know they received a bunch of extra.

At the University of North Alabama guys would get jobs with TVA and various other places and get money. 

I saw players at Auburn do the same. This is nothing new. It's always been going on, just now the ante has went up and it's legit. But there's always been a game behind scenes. If you were ok back then you'll be ok now. The most important and enticing thing will still and always be are you good at getting guys to the NFL. If you are good at that everything else will fall into place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gctiger said:

So why didn't Auburn rack up OL like Texas with a $50,000 NIL deal for each lineman?  The fact is that although Auburn has established an NIL program, it's currently far from a flagship program.

Because Auburn had a reputation of not preparing o line and hasn't been successful. As far as your numbers and stuff I'd have to see something factual before I believe it. People on here has had the believe what ever they are told syndrome and ran with stories. Even when the truth is presented people refused to listen to the truth just because it didn't sound as good.

And if it's true....so Auburn couldn't afford to do the same? This is just bonuses for some people employed by Auburn that really don't do too much. If we don't want to pay.....well ok, that was our decision

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1