Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

Is Jay Fair going to be our next Ryan Davis - type receiver? 

Nope, he's gonna be our first Jay Fair type receiver!

Seriously, though that might be a good comp, but because RD was only used on screens I can't honestly say.  I do know that Jay is a very good all around receiver with good hands and speed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

No what I do is speak the overall levity of the situation. I also point out how it really is as opposed to how some people think that it may go. Try to give the view of a more progressive mindset. 

Pretty much what this entire country was built on. Instead of saying you should be happy with what we give you this country said no we are going to get what we deserve. I think it's natural to want and feel like that.

Now every step of the way while trying to get what you deserve there will undoubtedly be a group of people telling you to just be happy with what you got. 

Nobody deserves anything except what they work for!  I’ve got no objection to giving the players a reasonable stipend, but if that’s not enough, then perhaps they should return to the real world and work for a living!  The last time I checked, there’s no “I” in team, but it’s getting to where there’s a whole lot of “me”.  I played on several athletic teams in high school and I’ll guarantee you that none of my teammates nor myself would have bailed on the team.  Commitment means little or nothing to most of today’s kids.  They want it all and they want it yesterday!  If you leave early, you’re a QUITTER!

Edit: I’ve got no issues with a projected first round pick declaring early, provided he finishes his current year, because he’s “earned” it.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Nobody deserves anything except what they work for!  I’ve got no objection to giving the players a reasonable stipend, but if that’s not enough, then perhaps they should return to the real world and work for a living!  The last time I checked, there’s no “I” in team, but it’s getting to where there’s a whole lot of “me”.  I played on several athletic teams in high school and I’ll guarantee you that none of my teammates nor myself would have bailed on the team.  Commitment means little or nothing to most of today’s kids.  They want it all and they want it yesterday!  If you leave early, you’re a QUITTER!

No they should do what they are doing. The lazy men getting rich off of other people should go work for a living.

The only reason those men are able to do what they do is people such as yourself who want to blame them for wanting to be paid instead of wanting to make lazy men rich. And like I said people such as yourself think back to how you would've done all this for free.....

I wouldn't have any interest busting my butt to make lazy men rich either. You pay for services period. If that upsets you just watch high school football and watch horrible players play. If you want high level and high quality play pay for it as you would everything else.

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No they should do what they are doing. The lazy men getting rich off of other people should go work for a living.

The only reason those men are able to do what they do is people such as yourself who want to blame them for wanting to be paid instead of wanting to make lazy men rich. And like I said people such as yourself think back to how you would've done all this for free.....

I wouldn't have any interest busting my butt to make lazy men rich either. You pay for services period. If that upsets you just watch high school football and watch horrible players play. If you want high level and high quality play pay for it as you would everything else.

Just because your not the player doesn’t necessarily make you “lazy old men”. This system of CFB needs all involved in bringing it to fruition. There is always a point of moving from non-paid player to paid player. HS football for instance is probably more risky for the player, but necessary to prepare players to play next step.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Just because your not the player doesn’t necessarily make you “lazy old men”. This system of CFB needs all involved in bringing it to fruition. There is always a point of moving from non-paid player to paid player. HS football for instance is probably more risky for the player, but necessary to prepare players to play next step.

You are correct, which is why I wouldn't ever say if you aren't a player you are a lazy old man. We agree

• Like 1

Lol...of course. Anybody appalled at the thought you have to "earn" when you leave? Lol. Not really? 😂 some of you are hilarious

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Who knows the experience each player has on campus. I don't know the stipend now but it definitely wasn't healthy 6 years ago. The facilities at our school was certainly not state of the art and the nutrition for the longest of times was an on campus cafeteria and if you're lucky you get free pizza late at night. 

This does not matter in the grand scheme of the conversation, but I'm not sure if you were referring to Auburn or not but the nutrition was not that was from 2009 on.  Once the Village was built, Auburn athletes had multiple options for food, including their own "athletes-only" area.  All of this was free to them.  Regarding the stipend, Auburn has been second in the nation behind Tennessee for the highest monthly stipend.  I am looking for the 2021 numbers adjusted for inflation but cannot find it.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This does not matter in the grand scheme of the conversation, but I'm not sure if you were referring to Auburn or not but the nutrition was not that was from 2009 on.  Once the Village was built, Auburn athletes had multiple options for food, including their own "athletes-only" area.  All of this was free to them.  Regarding the stipend, Auburn has been second in the nation behind Tennessee for the highest monthly stipend.  I am looking for the 2021 numbers adjusted for inflation but cannot find it.

You missed my entire point but I'm not going to argue that and then take the thread off track

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

You missed my entire point but I'm not going to argue that and then take the thread off track

I know it wasn't your point, that's why I said it doesn't really matter.  Just some factoids on what Auburn athletes had access to, if you were curious to know.  I don't know if you go to basketball games or not, but it is right next to the arena on the left if you ever wanted to check it out.  It is kind of cool to see and normally open for visitors.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I know it wasn't your point, that's why I said it doesn't really matter.  Just some factoids on what Auburn athletes had access to, if you were curious to know.  I don't know if you go to basketball games or not, but it is right next to the arena on the left if you ever wanted to check it out.  It is kind of cool to see and normally open for visitors.

I'm glad it has come a long way if it had. I knew of guys having to hustle to get money to eat. I listened to some of our past players talk about how they had to beg for equipment and such. I remember players being happy when they could get juices for free. 

I remember them being jealous of the swim teams meal plan and how it was so much better. And it's a bunch that I can't even talk about......I just know it was much harder than many thought. 

I was right there in the trenches with football and basketball players. And I saw a little with what swimmers did as well. Stuff I talk about isn't just talk. I was right there, people get mad that I'm giving actual day to day as opposed to what they thought it was

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm glad it has come a long way if it had. I knew of guys having to hustle to get money to eat. I listened to some of our past players talk about how they had to beg for equipment and such. I remember players being happy when they could get juices for free. 

I remember them being jealous of the swim teams meal plan and how it was so much better. And it's a bunch that I can't even talk about......I just know it was much harder than many thought. 

I was right there in the trenches with football and basketball players. And I saw a little with what swimmers did as well. Stuff I talk about isn't just talk. I was right there, people get mad that I'm giving actual day to day as opposed to what they thought it was

I assume you lived with a few players while attending the school?  When did you graduate?  I am trying to see if our years overlapped at all, which would have been cool.  Michael Dyer lived next to me for a year and then when I moved into the Exchange my sophomore year Nick Fairly lived next to me and was always at the pool.  I didn't care for Dyer but Nick was really cool.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

“In the trenches…”  LOL!!! 
Unless you were a scholarship athlete, that’s a tremendously disrespectful claim!

Edited by gctiger
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

“In the trenches…”  LOL!!! 
Unless you were a scholarship athlete, that’s a tremendously disrespectful claim!

I'm going to help you out, you probably should stop talking, the more you do the more you expose yourself

47 minutes ago, gctiger said:

The last time that I checked, all scholarship football players at AU, received compensation well in excess of $100k for 4 years of their service.  Did you ever stop to think that today’s program too well over 100 years of money and service to build?  What did the players from the 1957 team get for their natty?  Do we owe them something too?

Was that 1957 team the driving force behind the athletic department receiving over $150M in revenue annually?

Here's the argument you are making:

The athletic department that in 2020 had $153M of revenue and $18M in profit shouldn't give any more to the main commodity driving these dollars: the athletes, specifically our football team.

Do the math.  Each team is allowed 85 football schollies a year.  At your assumed $25k per player, that's $2.12M of the budget.  Let's add another $1M for other expenses just to be safe.

That would be 2% of the entire athletic department's revenue going to football players, despite the fact that those players are responsible for driving over 60% of the total revenue.

Do you begin seeing where some us start getting concerned?

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Was that 1957 team the driving force behind the athletic department receiving over $150M in revenue annually?

Here's the argument you are making:

The athletic department that in 2020 had $153M of revenue and $18M in profit shouldn't give any more to the main commodity driving these dollars: the athletes, specifically our football team.

Do the math.  Each team is allowed 85 football schollies a year.  At your assumed $25k per player, that's $2.12M of the budget.  Let's add another $1M for other expenses just to be safe.

That would be 2% of the entire athletic department's revenue going to football players, despite the fact that those players are responsible for driving over 60% of the total revenue.

Do you begin seeing where some us start getting concerned?

Nope!  Several of you guys are totally misunderstanding my point.  I’m not opposed to providing some additional compensation, or NIL to a degree.  But it has to be done in a methodical controlled manner.  Otherwise, chaos will reign.   The current players haven’t made any historical contributions to the system and therefore shouldn’t be entitled to reap from the historical benefits at the expense of those that built the program.  What we have now is a mess!  I see no justification for a player with a $1m NIL contract that hasn’t played their first snap.  

18 hours ago, fredst said:

There is some crazy stuff posted on these boards but comparing opting out of a meaningless football game with military desertion in any way is one of the more f****d things I’ve seen. Good gracious….

Rules I learned to live by:

As a youngster in the family: If you agree to perform a task, you finish it to the best of your ability.

As a teenager growing up along the Miami River: No matter how tough the situation gets, you make sure all of your guys get out before you leave yourself.

During military service time: When your unit gets assigned a tough, dirty and sometimes dangerous task, you stick with your unit. You don't say, "You guys handle it, I'll stay here in my rack and catch up on my sleep".

So yes, desertion is desertion. Dereliction of duty is dereliction of duty. To say otherwise is nothing but making excuses for the wimp-outs.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Nope!  Several of you guys are totally misunderstanding my point.  I’m not opposed to providing some additional compensation, or NIL to a degree.  But it has to be done in a methodical controlled manner.  Otherwise, chaos will reign.   The current players haven’t made any historical contributions to the system and therefore shouldn’t be entitled to reap from the historical benefits at the expense of those that built the program.  What we have now is a mess!  I see no justification for a player with a $1m NIL contract that hasn’t played their first snap.  

An NIL is coming from a private company sponsorship.  If they want to pay players $1M for anticipated exposure, go ahead.  That's capitalism.

My argument, and many others, extends beyond that.  We want players to be paid more by the schools considering the amount of money they generate.

You say the current players haven't given any historical contributions to the system and therefore shouldn't reap the benefits.  Wouldn't this be true of any profession?  Do you think that should extend to the NFL, NBA, etc?  I mean, none of the current players built the leagues, so surely their value is diminished, right?

At some point, we've got to realize this is a business.  Schools aren't supposed to be making nearly $20M annually of profit on sports, yet here we are.  Time to start treating it as such.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, fredst said:

There is some crazy stuff posted on these boards but comparing opting out of a meaningless football game with military desertion in any way is one of the more f****d things I’ve seen. Good gracious….

The people who are inclined to say things like this probably have no pull in  reality so they come in here to big themselves up. No logical person would think this way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

An NIL is coming from a private company sponsorship.  If they want to pay players $1M for anticipated exposure, go ahead.  That's capitalism.

My argument, and many others, extends beyond that.  We want players to be paid more by the schools considering the amount of money they generate.

You say the current players haven't given any historical contributions to the system and therefore shouldn't reap the benefits.  Wouldn't this be true of any profession?  Do you think that should extend to the NFL, NBA, etc?  I mean, none of the current players built the leagues, so surely their value is diminished, right?

At some point, we've got to realize this is a business.  Schools aren't supposed to be making nearly $20M annually of profit on sports, yet here we are.  Time to start treating it as such.

Again, IMO NIL needs to be reigned in, in order to save amateur sports, if it’s not already too late.  

Yes, It’s true in most professions that new hires don’t start at the top, don’t receive as many stock options, or as much paid time off. And yes, I feel that should include high school football stars.  If they don’t like it, they always go to work like the majority of the rest of us, or even start their own business.  I used love the NFL, but now have ZERO use in pro sports.  As far as I’m concerned, they can continue to self destruct at their own peril.

I agree that Collage Football has become big business, but it’s supposed to be amateur athletics.  Now that the pandora is out of the box, attending the games may soon become unaffordable.  As a small business owner, I’m all for free enterprise!  Unfortunately, it appears that it just doesn’t mix well with amateur athletics, and we as consumers will end up paying the price.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Rules I learned to live by:

As a youngster in the family: If you agree to perform a task, you finish it to the best of your ability.

As a teenager growing up along the Miami River: No matter how tough the situation gets, you make sure all of your guys get out before you leave yourself.

During military service time: When your unit gets assigned a tough, dirty and sometimes dangerous task, you stick with your unit. You don't say, "You guys handle it, I'll stay here in my rack and catch up on my sleep".

So yes, desertion is desertion. Dereliction of duty is dereliction of duty. To say otherwise is nothing but making excuses for the wimp-outs.

I was raised with similar expectations and follow those principles in my personal and professional life to this day. I still find this comparison whack but to each his own….

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It looks to me like this would be against some of the laws (NIL) on the books relative to players being paid to come to a particular college.