Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, some of you clowns really need to quit hiding behind "their teammates" with your ignorant, entitled self-righteousness. 

• Like 3

It’s funny how the same guys on here that are bitching that the players should get paid for playing, are the same ones ok with players not playing.

22 minutes ago, jluvah said:

It’s funny how the same guys on here that are bitching that the players should get paid for playing, are the same ones ok with players not playing.

No kidding. 

However, we pay coaches not to coach, so I guess it's only fair that we pay players not to play.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I really wish some of y'all would take 5 seconds to listen to what the teammates of these guys have to say about it, but your ilk made it clear long ago that you don't give the first damn about the players upon whom you verbally displace your dumbass self-righteousness. 

Make no mistake, it is you sitting your fat ass on the couch impotently bitching and moaning about players who have sweated and bled with and for their teammates who needs to look in the mirror. They'll be just fine and they'll be so with their teammates' full support.

Could not agree more. Their teammates and their coaches support them when they make these decisions. I understand the people who feel like you need to support your team and your teammates, but when your future is on the line and you are in a position to get drafted and make some real money there in an inherent risk in playing a violent sport.  These players love the game but for the elite players who have a chance to play at the next level it is both a personal decision and a business decision. What businessman would make business decision that would not improve his chance in the business world but could cause him to lose his job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Could not agree more. Their teammates and their coaches support them when they make these decisions. I understand the people who feel like you need to support your team and your teammates, but when your future is on the line and you are in a position to get drafted and make some real money there in an inherent risk in playing a violent sport.  These players love the game but for the elite players who have a chance to play at the next level it is both a personal decision and a business decision. What businessman would make business decision that would not improve his chance in the business world but could cause him to lose his job. 

Don’t think any businessman would lose his job if he was trying to make the business he worked for better or a winner

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hope folks are watching the Sugar Bowl.  Matt Corrall is on crutches after an injury.  Depending on how bad it is, could hurt his draft stock and cost him millions.

This is a prime example of why we should never get upset when kids opt out of non-playoff games.

Hope the kid is OK.

And he chose to play for one of the big games. Some dudes get pissed when first rounders choose not to play for the fing Mayo Bowl or something goofy like that 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Actually it makes perfect sense.

The guys aren't being paid to play, so yeah, we're all for them opting out.  If they were being paid by the universities, the conversation begins to change.

Even still, I wouldn't blame a kid for opting out if they were being paid by the schools.  Especially if they are sitting on a guaranteed multi-million contract in a few months.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Actually it makes perfect sense.

The guys aren't being paid to play, so yeah, we're all for them opting out.  If they were being paid by the universities, the conversation begins to change.

Even still, I wouldn't blame a kid for opting out even if they were being paid by the schools.  Especially if they are sitting on a guaranteed multi-million contract in a few months.

They ARE getting paid. They’re getting their education, food and housing, and a stipend every month. Comes to over $100,000 easy for 4 years . If they don’t take advantage of that, it’s on them. And that includes the 99% that don’t get drafted! If that’s not enough, tell that to the kids having to pay back student loans for 20 years after graduating who weren’t blessed to be athletic enough to get that “ nothing” scholarship 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jluvah said:

They ARE getting paid. They’re getting their education, food and housing, and a stipend every month. Comes to over $100,000 easy for 4 years . If they don’t take advantage of that, it’s on them. And that includes the 99% that don’t get drafted! If that’s not enough, tell that to the kids having to pay back student loans for 20 years after graduating who weren’t blessed to be athletic enough to get that “ nothing” scholarship 

Hi.  I was one of those kids on student loans.  Even had a scholarship that paid me an actual salary during grad school.

I'm telling you first hand, as someone who not only went to school but also taught and tutored athletes, that the demands on my time were nowhere close to what these players have to deal with.  Not to mention the wear and tear on their bodies, which is something that I never had to deal with as an academic scholar.

But you keep on with that narrative that it's all the same.

Also, the semester is over before a bowl game happens.  If a kid opts out of the bowl to prepare for the draft, the university loses nothing for tuition, room, board, etc.  The kid would have fulfilled his academic commitment at that point.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Having 40+ bowls killed it long before the playoffs.  It used to mean something to make a bowl.  Now its practically a given.

Right. A bowl game these days is like the participation award given to little leaguers

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hi.  I was one of those kids on student loans.  Even had a scholarship that paid me an actual salary during grad school.

I'm telling you first hand, as someone who not only went to school but also taught and tutored athletes, that the demands on my time were nowhere close to what these players have to deal with.  Not to mention the wear and tear on their bodies, which is something that I never had to deal with as an academic scholar.

But you keep on with that narrative that it's all the same.

Also, the semester is over before a bowl game happens.  If a kid opts out of the bowl to prepare for the draft, the university loses nothing for tuition, room, board, etc.  The kid would have fulfilled his academic commitment at that point.

Completely their choice to play this game. If they don’t like it, get student loans and pay them back like other “regular” students and just be a student.   If not, appreciate the scholarship, and all the hard work it entails. Kids have been doing this for 75 years. Why is it so egregious to them now, all of a sudden?

Lol. Hilarious the people so angry and appalled are only angry at the players. The only people that have a skill set to produce on a high enough level to generate money, so they have a skill set has been the only group not making money out of the billions generated.

Not to mention they generate the revenue that goes to their scholarships so really they are being paid the money they already made as far as scholarships. They also make money to give those people that weren't blessed with their physical capabilities to get some scholarships as well.

Nobody mad at the fat old men getting rich that does absolutely nothing. That's just the way it is, no need to be upset at that. Let's be angry at the players though. They are running around making their own decisions, people don't have control over them gotta hate that!

Also going to point out people on this thread that dislike this so much......when Bo got his sponsorship and when Bo transferred are the very same people that said make that money Bo! You deserve it! I wish him success and wish him the best in the future......But hate it for the other players 👍🏾

• Like 4

There is some crazy stuff posted on these boards but comparing opting out of a meaningless football game with military desertion in any way is one of the more f****d things I’ve seen. Good gracious….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Completely their choice to play this game. If they don’t like it, get student loans and pay them back like other “regular” students and just be a student.   If not, appreciate the scholarship, and all the hard work it entails. Kids have been doing this for 75 years. Why is it so egregious to them now, all of a sudden?

Because the game has a ton more money involved now and most folks realize that people should be adequately compensated for their labor.  There was a time when a scholarship was commensurate with the money involved.  Its not anymore and ultimately the players are the product.   No one is gonna pay $150 per ticket to watch a bunch of FCS talent level kids play.  

Also, do you realize how little would change for the better in the world if we constantly said "this is always how its been"?  Times change man.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Hilarious the people so angry and appalled are only angry at the players. The only people that have a skill set to produce on a high enough level to generate money, so they have a skill set has been the only group not making money out of the billions generated.

Not to mention they generate the revenue that goes to their scholarships so really they are being paid the money they already made as far as scholarships. They also make money to give those people that weren't blessed with their physical capabilities to get some scholarships as well.

Nobody mad at the fat old men getting rich that does absolutely nothing. That's just the way it is, no need to be upset at that. Let's be angry at the players though. They are running around making their own decisions, people don't have control over them gotta hate that!

Also going to point out people on this thread that dislike this so much......when Bo got his sponsorship and when Bo transferred are the very same people that said make that money Bo! You deserve it! I wish him success and wish him the best in the future......But hate it for the other players 👍🏾

William Rhoden's book $40M Slaves has some real truth in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. I’m not angry at the players, if you’re talking about me. I’m angry at the idiots in charge who are allowing this to happen. It has turned a college sport into a professional one. That’s ok with me, but don’t call it college football anymore. It’s not. For that matter, I would go so far as to say to hell with the players having to go to class. It’s to hard , obviously, to do that and practice and play the game. As for the fat old men getting rich and doing nothing, who are you referencing? Professional owners? Corporate businessmen who have climbed the ladder to success? Please help me understand. Believe me, I wasn’t one saying “ yay, Bo go get that money! ( we know you don’t like that kid, Cole. You don’t have to bring him up again. We get it)

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

Don’t think any businessman would lose his job if he was trying to make the business he worked for better or a winner

You are missing the point in the football business. This young man could lose his job (NFL Future) or cut his earning potential with an injury. For a young player the bowl is a chance for extra practice and a chance to improve for somebody who is opting for NFL draft whether team wins or loses won't change much for the team but could cause him to lose his career. My point about a business man was to make people realize if you had nothing to gain by making a business decision but you made it anyway and it failed you could lose your job you probably wouldn't take that chance. 

17 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yep getting invited to a bowl game used to be a big deal to players and fans. The playoff has killed bowl games.

Two things hurt the bowls:   the playoffs and the money waiting around the corner for those draft eligible players.

The bowl games are really just exhibition games now, other than the playoff games.   They really are. Auburn played a game vs Houston in which we were missing what, 5 starters.  I think the graphic showed 6, but I think it was 5.   Houston had one guy sitting out I heard them say.  Which team was impacted more?   Auburn gave up it's starting QB, All American CB and one of the best tacklers in the country vs their best edge rusher who was not even all conference. 

Their coach said they had 15-20  who would not play due to Covid, grades and the NFL, but that is regarding every player in their organization.  

Explain how this is not really an exhibition game.   

We just need to change the name so we change our expectations.

What will suck is when players opt out if their team is in the playoffs.  Stand by - that will happen as they expand the playoffs.  I truly believe it will.   And I hope I am wrong. 

And I am not faulting the players.  I don't like it, but I get it. 

Edited by Beaker

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are missing the point in the football business. This young man could lose his job (NFL Future) or cut his earning potential with an injury. For a young player the bowl is a chance for extra practice and a chance to improve for somebody who is opting for NFL draft whether team wins or loses won't change much for the team but could cause him to lose his career. My point about a business man was to make people realize if you had nothing to gain by making a business decision but you made it anyway and it failed you could lose your job you probably wouldn't take that chance. 

I get all that. Let’s take a look at Bryce Young, or Jameson Williams, or Will Anderson. The have NOTHING to prove that would improve their draft status( I realize Young is a Soph.). What’s to keep them from saying “ sorry Coach Saban, I can’t afford to risk it this week. I’m opting out” . So they’re playing for a ring. That ring won’t pay the bills or feed the kids if they get a career-ending injury. But I bet they would get CRUCIFIED by their fan base and the press if they did opt out. Please don’t tell there is a difference. We’re talking about their future livelihood . What if Cam had done that in 2010. He would have gone from hero to villain for most Auburn fans

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jluvah said:

I get all that. Let’s take a look at Bryce Young, or Jameson Williams, or Will Anderson. The have NOTHING to prove that would improve their draft status( I realize Young is a Soph.). What’s to keep them from saying “ sorry Coach Saban, I can’t afford to risk it this week. I’m opting out” . So they’re playing for a ring. That ring won’t pay the bills or feed the kids if they get a career-ending injury. But I bet they would get CRUCIFIED by their fan base and the press if they did opt out. Please don’t tell there is a difference. We’re talking about their future livelihood . What if Cam had done that in 2010. He would have gone from hero to villain for most Auburn fans

You think anyone would opt out of a national championship game? Don’t be obtuse. 

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

I have tons of student loans and still think that these kids should get paid. Universities are making money hand over fist because of these kids, they should get slice of the pie outside of the scholarships.

• Like 3

I honestly can't believe paying the players is still a controversial subject, I thought the general consensus was that NIL was a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You think anyone would opt out of a national championship game? Don’t be obtuse. 

Why not? Livelihood and everything! #allaboutthatmoney