Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

Just another reason college football shouldn’t be called an amateur sport anymore. It’s all about the money, or possibility of it, for athletes now. Let’s just quit calling it college anymore and come up with a more appropriate name, because an education is secondary to the majority of these football players. And Auburn University better get with the program quick, or they’re gonna get run over by even more “ Universties” than bammer  and thuga in the SEC, because “ it just means more”. If you think I’m old school, you’d be correct. But if you’re old enough, think back 15-20 years ago and tell me college football wasn’t better,both as a fan and for the school. If you’re old enough to remember 30-40 years ago,like me, you’d remember kids played for their school, not to improve their draft stock. Like TexasTiger said, life is full of risks, AND commitments. Now go ahead, blast away at me!

• Like 6

My point is, let’s don’t call it an amateur sport anymore, because it’s not. The genie is already out of the bottle, and Auburn had better learn to deal with it quickly, or get run over

Edited by jluvah
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

IF this costs Corral milliions, you don't think he will second guess his decision?

Maybe. I don’t know him. If it’s not serious he should be fine. 

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Glad Kirk Herbstreet is getting killed on twitter for his comments yesterday or earlier today.  

Sick and tired of Herbie's verbal diarrhea

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I understand both sides of this issue but In 5 years is a fan going to remember who opted out of a bowl game? If you do then you are way more invested in Auburn football than I am. I appreciated Smoke playing but I can respect McClain, McCreary and Hamm's decision to opt out. We might have won if they had played but they might have lost more individually. 

I think I will. Maybe it’s generational, but I do think about who would I want to go to war with if I had to. And if I’m an NFL coach, while I won’t say I wouldn’t draft or sign someone who opted out, if two players are roughly equal, I’m picking the guy who stayed with his team and finished his commitment. If I’m a business man looking to hire a grad when his playing days are over, that’s definitely a trait I’m looking for.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Ohio State’s Olave’ opts out. Smith-Njigba goes off for a record setting 347 receiving yards.

One player's opt out is another's opportunity. I've seen many backups get their chance to perform on the big stage this bowl season, and show why they are the next stars.    It isn't all bad news.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yep getting invited to a bowl game used to be a big deal to players and fans. The playoff has killed bowl games.

Playoff has made it worse but bowl season jumped the shark a long time ago. When a bunch of bowls are pairing .500 teams they are no more than an extension of the (mediocre) regular season instead of a reward for a good year

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I saw most of it and was in awe and pissed off at the same time.  In awe at his talent and pissed off we never seem to have a WR that explosive and making plays on our teams.  

He had a guy making incredible throws to him that he caught in stride as opposed to turning around, jumping etc. A great performance by a very talented receiver but the QB was half of that equation 

• Like 3

The bowl games I have watched had great attendance. If you don't think they matter to the players, coaches and fans, watch the game. Bowls are still important, playoffs or not. If you're a football player, you should want to play football.

About the wimp-outs: The military can shoot those who desert in the face of the enemy. While shooting is out of the question for the wimp-outs, they certainly don't deserve any respect. They have hung their teammates, coaches, fans and the school that has provided them with an $80,000 a year education for several years out to dry.

Will I remember who they were five years from now? I hope so. Carlton Davis is only four years in the past but I remember him, so....

All hail Smoke Monday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

My point is, let’s don’t call it an amateur sport anymore, because it’s not. The genie is already out of the bottle, and Auburn had better learn to deal with it quickly, or get run over

It's been out of the bottle for 15 years when everyone was getting rich except the players/talent 

• Like 2

I really wish some of y'all would take 5 seconds to listen to what the teammates of these guys have to say about it, but your ilk made it clear long ago that you don't give the first damn about the players upon whom you verbally displace your dumbass self-righteousness. 

Make no mistake, it is you sitting your fat ass on the couch impotently bitching and moaning about players who have sweated and bled with and for their teammates who needs to look in the mirror. They'll be just fine and they'll be so with their teammates' full support.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

One player's opt out is another's opportunity. I've seen many backups get their chance to perform on the big stage this bowl season, and show why they are the next stars.    It isn't all bad news.

What a concept. Backup player becomes a star. Some of us here wouldn't have minded seeing DD get a shot.  

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really wish some of y'all would take 5 seconds to listen to what the teammates of these guys have to say about it, but your ilk made it clear long ago that you don't give the first damn about the players upon whom you verbally displace your dumbass self-righteousness. 

Make no mistake, it is you sitting your fat ass on the couch impotently bitching and moaning about players who have sweated and bled with and for their teammates who needs to look in the mirror. They'll be just fine and they'll be so with their teammates' full support.

Broad brush. I think schools, coaches and the NCAA need to do far more to protect players interests and make it easier for them to take the risk of playing one more game or season. A large chunk of the TV, bowl, CFP money being made should go to a fund to support any lifelong medical bills from football injuries, job training, and insurance for players coming back for their senior year/playing in a bowl game. A percentage of head coaches’ salaries should go to it, as well. Someone making millions from players sacrifices shouldn’t mind that. This didn’t happen in a vacuum. “Back in my day” there wasn’t the kind of money in the game there now is. As structured, players are the only ones asked to take risks. That’s wrong with this much money being made. That needs to be addressed. If we truly value loyalty and commitment, everyone involved needs to financially support a system that is less stacked against the players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

Just another reason college football shouldn’t be called an amateur sport anymore. It’s all about the money, or possibility of it, for athletes now. Let’s just quit calling it college anymore and come up with a more appropriate name, because an education is secondary to the majority of these football players. And Auburn University better get with the program quick, or they’re gonna get run over by even more “ Universties” than bammer  and thuga in the SEC, because “ it just means more”. If you think I’m old school, you’d be correct. But if you’re old enough, think back 15-20 years ago and tell me college football wasn’t better,both as a fan and for the school. If you’re old enough to remember 30-40 years ago,like me, you’d remember kids played for their school, not to improve their draft stock. Like TexasTiger said, life is full of risks, AND commitments. Now go ahead, blast away at me!

Agree. College FB is becoming semi-pro and I wouldn't be surprised to see schools become farm teams for the NFL teams. Kind of like choosing between Nike or Under Armor, a school can agree to be supported by one or more NFL teams in exchange for first right to players at that school. Far fetched? Maybe but who would have thought we would now have NIL?

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Broad brush. I think schools, coaches and the NCAA need to do far more to protect players interests and make it easier for them to take the risk of playing one more game or season. A large chunk of the TV, bowl, CFP money being made should go to a fund to support any lifelong medical bills from football injuries, job training, and insurance for players coming back for their senior year/playing in a bowl game. A percentage of head coaches’ salaries should go to it, as well. Someone making millions from players sacrifices shouldn’t mind that. This didn’t happen in a vacuum. “Back in my day” there wasn’t the kind of money in the game there now is. As structured, players are the only ones asked to take risks. That’s wrong with this much money being made. That needs to be addressed. If we truly value loyalty and commitment, everyone involved needs to financially support a system that is less stacked against the players.

Totally agree and great idea. And then the players have a more compelling choice to make, with either decision still being perfectly fine as it is now.

It's good that players feel empowered to make the best decision for their long term ability to provide for their families. That should absolutely be their top priority. If they feel that includes playing in a weekday afternoon exhibition game in Birmingham, Alabama created for the express purpose of generating corporate revenue, cool.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The bowl games I have watched had great attendance. If you don't think they matter to the players, coaches and fans, watch the game. Bowls are still important, playoffs or not. If you're a football player, you should want to play football.

About the wimp-outs: The military can shoot those who desert in the face of the enemy. While shooting is out of the question for the wimp-outs, they certainly don't deserve any respect. They have hung their teammates, coaches, fans and the school that has provided them with an $80,000 a year education for several years out to dry.

Will I remember who they were five years from now? I hope so. Carlton Davis is only four years in the past but I remember him, so....

All hail Smoke Monday!

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Having 40+ bowls killed it long before the playoffs.  It used to mean something to make a bowl.  Now its practically a given.

Exactly.

Bowls before the playoff picture came about had it's own issues if you remember. We could get 1,2 or even 3 bowls where the best teams ranked did't play each other because of contracts with the conferences. So, maybe 6 teams had a chance to win it all? And there was popularity and how much they won by and who they played that entered into it, so it never was certain if the best team won it all.

Now it's 4 with a future of going to 8 or 12. 

But  the playoffs had nothing to do with killing the bowls. And as yo usaid to go to what about 40 bowls now and so many teams that are 6-6 getting in bowls. It's great filler for us if we just love watching football....

I have no problem if teams want to play on in bowl, even if it is meaningless as they get courted, and free stuff and are usually in warm or nice cities they may have never been to. No problem to me.

Now as to Corral's decision to play? While I respect him for being their for his team, to be a certain 1st round draft choice and play in a meaningless game, I don't think was a smart decision. I think every player on his team would have supported him, and said let's move on. The bowls for some is not an extension of this season, but a preview of the players for next season...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

There’s also insurance for those types of freak accidents.

Which would mitigate but not completely address missing out on an NFL career.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which would mitigate but not completely address missing out on an NFL career.

Yeah. Jaylon Smith’s policy didn’t cover his 10-20 million dollar hit. 

• Thanks 1

More power for the players is the right thing. Opting out of bowl games(if they choose) is a good thing for the players 
Coaches can’t jerk players around anymore because of the portal rules.

NIL money is now available.

All of these things are good because it’s the morally right thing to happen for the men who make billions of dollars for other people.

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Fortunately, Matt Corral will be fine so the injury shouldn't affect his NFL draft status.

Yeah, I am not going to get into Matt's insurance. He does. This does not appear to be that type of injury where that would ever be a factor. Actually, his x-ray was negative. He just wasn't able to go. So I don't think that that's a factor.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2022/01/02/lane-kiffin-matt-corral-ole-miss-sugar-bowl-loss-said/9011163002/

• Like 1