For those of you who think firing Malzahn for Harsin was a mistake

Rednilla

55 minutes ago, AUwent said:

@Brad_ATX and @Rednilla:

Ok, and how many years into Harsin's tenure should we demand that we surpass that? Because I think most of us would be ecstatic at 8-4 next year.

Oh and dear sweet baby Jesus please let us stop playing Georgia every year when the SEC expands. I *really* wish we could move to the Big 12 or ACC, but that'll do for now.

The same I'd give any new coach.  4 years.  A full cycle from freshmen to seniors.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, aucom96 said:

I doubt Malzahn was satisfied with 8-4, he just believed his own personal "process" would eventually bare fruit. 

Harsin is on the clock. 

ETA: I was ready for Gus to be gone years ago. 

He said 8-4 was "solid"

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Oh and dear sweet baby Jesus please let us stop playing Georgia every year when the SEC expands. I *really* wish we could move to the Big 12 or ACC, but that'll do for now.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

What successfully HC of the 4 in the playoffs have a “warm and dynamic” personality? Maybe Finkell? Don’t see this adding anything to successfully HC conversation.

Harsin hasn't kissed asses and rings, pledged fealty, and cozied up into laps. Therefore, we're just not sure he's our type of folk at Auburn. It is what it is. 

NotOurSortOfPeople.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Why should we have to be the one that plays the two best teams in the nation? We're needlessly at a disadvantage. Farquad will likely be there for at least 10 more years, Prince Charming god knows. We'd still be playing Georgia every other year if the pod proposal I (realistically) want happens.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

He said 8-4 was "solid"

I think he said 6-4 was pretty solid in the SEC if they beat MSU after the blowout loss to Bama last year. Maybe so if you are a 1-3 year coach, not 8 years into your tenure and being one of the highest paid coaches in the nation.

I think these comments were the final nails in Gus’ coffin at Auburn.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Really I just don’t think we’ll break a 130 year trend until we hire a coach that has already broken mold. Some programs have gotten lucky hiring the plucky upstart. We’ve gotten that archetype right once, and wrong quite a few more times 

What you mean is a 130 year average.... Not a trend.

Bama, even adding in the Saban era averages a 9-3 (less, but it rounds up to 9-3) regular season. How many 9-3 seasons in a row you think that rabid fanbase would put up with? Even given their current worshipping of him.

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

It's good that one coach slipped up and made you proud. It's also a shame that Shug, Dye, Tuberville, and Chizik couldn't measure up to the great Gus.

I won't bother asking where you pulled that out of. There's only one place it could have come from.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Harsin hasn't done much AT AUBURN to prove himself yet, no. But it gets just a little bit tiring hearing a Gus fanboy constantly talking about how much better Malzahn would have been doing, how much of a mistake Harsin was, etc, ESPECIALLY when he, himself, noted that Harsin needs to be given at least 3 to 4 years to establish his direction for the program.

If you don't want to support the coaching staff, fine, but don't be so belligerent about noting every single potential misstep along the way while ignoring any potential good if you want to call yourself a fan.

Auburn University needs to give Harsin time to prove that he can get the job done. As a fan, I don't have to act like I'm seeing great things when what I'm seeing is a losing season that there was no logical reason for.

About Gus, his time here was over. However, dweebs coming on here and blaming Gus for his successor having a losing season when Gus himself never had one is mindless excuse making.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I won't bother asking where you pulled that out of. There's only one place it could have come from.

Mikey

Touchdown Auurn!

SilverDonor

27,125 posts

Author

Posted yesterday at 08:52 PM

On 12/30/2021 at 7:31 AM,  Rednilla said: 

Will you support Harsin for 8+ years if he loses 4-5 per year?

First he'd have to be a key factor in AU winning a national championship and also playing for another. Beating two #1 ranked teams in a three week period when said #1's are your biggest rivals also buys some credibility. If Harsin accomplishes these things, he'll have earned by praise.

An impressive list no coach prior to Gus achieved.

• Like 1

Harsin is the first HC coach in a while at Auburn that had a worse record in his 1st season than his predecessor's last year. 

Dye went 5-6 in his 1st season after Barfield went 5-6 his last year. The difference between Dye's 1st year and Barfield's last was that we were 0-6 in the SEC in 1980. Dye was 2-4 in the SEC in 1981.

Bowden went 11-0 in his 1st season after Dye went 5-5-1 his last year.

Tuberville went 5-6 in his 1st season after Bowden went 3-8 his last year. 

Chizik went 8-5 in his 1st season after Tuberville went 5-7 his last year.

Gus went 12-2, won the SEC, and played for the BCS NC his 1st season after Chizik went 3-9 his last year. 

Harsin went 6-7 in his 1st season after Gus went 6-5 his last year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Harsin is the first HC coach in a while at Auburn that had a worse record in his 1st season than his predecessor's last year. 

Dye went 5-6 in his 1st season after Barfield went 5-6 his last year. The difference between Dye's 1st year and Barfield's last was that we were 0-6 in the SEC in 1980. Dye was 2-4 in the SEC in 1981.

Gus went 12-2, won the SEC, and played for the BCS NC his 1st season after Chizik went 3-9 his last year. 

Nick Marshall went 10-2 and was given the ability to make  a read on almost eery play because we lacked any offensive intelligence beyond Nick Marahal's amazing athletic ability and intelect.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, cbo said:

It definitely does look like that. I was just curious about the player, so I took a look. Don't think it's a current player, at least. 

The quote is 100% accurate. 

TD Moultry.

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I swear to god you are going to make me drive/jump off a damn cliff or shoot myself in the head...................bird wishes...shut up bird......................Please tell me you go to some type of therapy if so IT AIN'T WORKING

I have never in my long long  long life seen a Auburn fan so frickin negative/pessimistic. 

image.gif.75adafcc0c0adedf081df3407f3383ac.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'm guessing you just forgot to finish your thought here, or maybe you assumed that we'd go with the obvious takeaway here. You give us to much credit if so, so I'll spell it out for the folks in the back.

Look for the two coaches on that list who had the most sustained success after their first season or two- with the previous coach's players- and compare their first seasons to the rest.

Hint: Harsin's first season looks like theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm guessing you just forgot to finish your thought here, or maybe you assumed that we'd go with the obvious takeaway here. You give us to much credit if so, so I'll spell it out for the folks in the back.

Look for the two coaches on that list who had the most sustained success after their first season or two- with the previous coach's players- and compare their first seasons to the rest.

Hint: Harsin's first season looks like theirs. 

So true. We have been programmed to be ‘Quick Fix U’. New coach comes in, experiences their zenith in year 1 or 2, then mediocrity ensues. I’m ready for sustained success and the only way to do that is a foundational overhaul. Growing pains come with that approach but the end result is worth it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, eaglenest said:

Harsin is not on the clock, wishful thinking on your part though.

He is absolutely on the clock. The last coach was fired for consistent mediocrity. This year wasn’t even mediocre. It was a  losing season. In today’s college football, you don’t get but 2-3 years to show progress or you’re shown the door. If Harsin doesn’t show substantial improvement next year, he’s gone. The days of giving a coach a full 4 years are gone.

As for Gus, I didn’t necessarily think we were moving in the right direction, and I thought his days were numbered. I didn’t like making the change last off-season because there weren’t a lot of good coaching options available last year. I thought we should’ve waited for an opportunity for a splash hire to come available, especially since recruiting is/was a big concern. But it’s irrelevant. Gus is gone. Harsin is here. No use dwelling on the past.

Edited by ScotsAU

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because to date he hasn't been good enough. It's not complicated.

Accomplishing those things bought some credit and continued support for Malzahn, who had been here a long time. Harsin has yet to do anything to earn support. He deserves three or four years to put his plan in place is what I wrote, not three or four years of worship. I hope he turns this around because he's AU's coach. Beyond that, I'm not jumping on some happy camper bandwagon when he's done nothing to earn a bandwagon.

So he deserves support for 3-4 years, but he hasn't been good enough for support yet. Right. Because that makes SO much sense.

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

door. If Harsin doesn’t show substantial improvement next year, he’s gone

No he is not. Auburn athletics has never been like the rest of the college landscape. Unless he significantly takes a step back , I am talking winning less than 6 games he will be here. You might as well just get use to it. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

ear. I thought we should’ve waited for an opportunity for a splash hire to come available,

Here is where your comment failed, why would you wait to come available?  If you have someone targeted, you go out and make it happen.   I’m not talking about any particular coach or even this particular coach, but as an Athletic Director if you think a program needs a change and you have someone picked out, you go and make it happen.    Waiting for a “splash hire” to become available, how long would that take?  Would you stick or wait one year, two years, three years with the current situation? 

I got tired of a off tackle run for no gain, a bubble screen for no gain, then a forty yard bomb, that fell incomplete.  All of this with a lot of "eye candy", mixed in. We were on a downward trajectory with the dude. Harsin has this program headed upward, despite the record. Offensive lineman didn't want to play for him. He couldn't recruit them. Steele saved his rear end, until he couldn't. 

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jluvah said:

Gus was absolutely satisfied with 8-4. History shows it.

Good Lord... nobody is satisfied with 8-4.  All this childish gnawing at an out of context comment is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!  Harsin is the head coach now & for the foreseeable future unlesss he does something stupid involving strippers, motorcycle crashes with passengers not related to him by marriage, or sweeping sexual harrassment/abuse under the rug.  OK?  He's doing a great job building a solid foundation & cleaning up the putrid mess left behind by the previous head coach who will forever remain nameless in any future posts I make (my 2022 resolution.) 

Making comparisons of CBH's 1st year record with anybody else's is fine unless you resort to drawing some kind of specious firm conclusion which proves nothing except your own ignorance of the definition of coincidence.  

So ... to reiterate:  Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2