Why do other teams have success against our offense?

tigerman1186

On 12/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, bigbird said:

As it's been said, it's the OL.  We can't create any balance on O because of it.  Running inside is a joke, running outside is hit or miss, play action doesn't work because we aren't a threat to consistently run the ball, any designed drop backs more than 3 step result in busted assignments, intense pressure, or a sack. If we do manage to get time to throw, our QBs rush most of the passes and are highly erratic and inaccurate. 

Cause we don't have but 1 true OT on the roster, Colby Smith...Got a bunch of guards trying to play tackle,  thanks to Gustav

Because o line hadn't been the best and because we haven't had a great qb. Not hard. Very simple. Get those two things, prolific offense right in front of your face

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Because o line hadn't been the best and because we haven't had a great qb. Not hard. Very simple. Get those two things, prolific offense right in front of your face

Said so many times by so many people so long ago and every day since. Now folks are coming out of the woodwork scratching their heads. Hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

If you get those two things in place, we can go somewhere with this defense . We just need an above average offense 

• Like 6

The offensive line is the obvious reason but related to that is that we don't have the pieces in place to scheme around that line, ESPECIALLY when Bo got hurt. When he was healthy, Bo's ability to scramble and contribute in the run game helped to disguise some of the o-line issues. TJ doesn't bring those same things to the table so the line looks worse with him under center. Further, we didn't have a receiver this year who could consistently make plays on 3rd and gotta have it. There was no Seth Williams "throw the ball in my ZIP code and I'll come down with it" kinda guy. Mix all those things together and you get an offense that can't reliably score points. The good news is, all these things are fixable. 

Edited by AUAlumnTN
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Cause we don't have but 1 true OT on the roster, Colby Smith...Got a bunch of guards trying to play tackle,  thanks to Gustav

What if I told you that no matter if they are a center or guard, they provide the requisite depth at tackle?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

What if I told you that no matter if they are a center or guard, they provide the requisite depth at tackle?

Then you would be a liar just like always

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

What if I told you that no matter if they are a center or guard, they provide the requisite depth at 

Who do u think on the current roster are true SEC caliber off tackles?

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Its midnboggling that our offense has sputtered in the last 5-6 years(outside of a stretch in 2017 when Stidham was on fire).

I watch all the bowl games and see team after team w/ a QB that just looks good enough to make routine plays, and accurate throws.

Hell, I saw on the Pitt MSU game a 3rd string QB almost win the game for Pitt. Yes, he didn't have the experience and in the end he got suckered into a great defensive play and threw an INT. But I saw this guy throw good accurate passes fairly consistently.

It just blows my mind the last now 9 years we have such a poor percentage passing QB. 

I miss guys like Leard, Cox,  White, Campbell and heck even Christ Todd was fairly accurate.

Look at these starting QBs we have put out there in 9 years now... and how many of them would you call an accurate passer?

Burns, TOdd, Newton, Trotter, Moseley, Frazier, Wallace, Marshall, Joghnson, WHite, Stidham, Nix, and Finley.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:30 PM, Hank2020 said:

Not sure how much accuracy that brings to an inaccurate QB. He doesn’t seem to be staring at the rushers, just missing his targets.

It’s the mental aspect of having a poor Oline that creates inaccurate throws when he has time. Throughout the year knowing that most of the time there is a blown assignment and your getting pressured causes you to start processing too quickly. Rather than expecting you will have time to let the play develop, you anticipate the pressure usually resulting in throwing the ball too early on the deep ball and really having guess where the receivers will be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who do u think on the current roster are true SEC caliber off tackles?

There is someone who counts every position on the OL as the same. He also considers long snappers as OL. 

My question was a jab at his asinine premise.

But to answer your question, I'd say Smith and Harris...maybe Zierer

1 hour ago, wcware said:

It’s the mental aspect of having a poor Oline that creates inaccurate throws when he has time. Throughout the year knowing that most of the time there is a blown assignment and your getting pressured causes you to start processing too quickly. Rather than expecting you will have time to let the play develop, you anticipate the pressure usually resulting in throwing the ball too early on the deep ball and really having guess where the receivers will be. 

I can see that.

41 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I can see that.

I also believe our QB’s are very inaccurate regardless though. I’m not making excuses for them. I’m just trying to explain how it can lead to inaccurate passes especially with the deep ball. Even with a great line I’m not sold on our ability to execute simple throws accurately.

• Like 2