How do you fix this team/program?

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Recruiting isn't over.  There are likely more high school O linemen coming in February + the portal.

2) He proved he can recruit the South this year.  O line is obviously a priority for next year, but the poster essentially said Harsin can't recruit down here despite the evidence that he very much can.

Yeah, not really arguing just discussing. I certainly hope we can pull a big turnaround on line talent by February because it really needs to be a priority THIS year. If nothing significantly changes, we'll be lucky to get 5 wins next season. I don't think any Auburn coach has had back to back losing seasons since Barfield and that's how critical offensive line is for us. We were easily good enough to beat Houston if our line could have gotten any push in the run game. South Carolina, same story. That's a winning season. 

Harsin had a good ESD, but unless he pulls in 3-4 decent lineman before next season starts, it will be hard to see it as a good recruiting year. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't mind people being hard on coaches on message boards or social media (no direct or real life harassment though obviously)

These guys are the highest paid public employees in the state and are compensated VERY, VERY, VERY well compensated to put together a winning football team. 

If it doesn't all come together as expected then it's fair for people to get on their backs about it. 

My goodness,  how long has this man been on the job. He came in late. He played the hand dealt him. Is anyone in this board capable of getting on coaches backs. Nuts.

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Yeah, not really arguing just discussing. I certainly hope we can pull a big turnaround on line talent by February because it really needs to be a priority THIS year. If nothing significantly changes, we'll be lucky to get 5 wins next season. I don't think any Auburn coach has had back to back losing seasons since Barfield and that's how critical offensive line is for us. We were easily good enough to beat Houston if our line could have gotten any push in the run game. South Carolina, same story. That's a winning season. 

Harsin had a good ESD, but unless he pulls in 3-4 decent lineman before next season starts, it will be hard to see it as a good recruiting year. 

We could bring in 20 high school O lineman and it wouldn't make a huge difference next year.  O-line takes time to develop.  Thus the portal for immediate help.

Next year will likely not be great.  This program, especially the o line, had major issues to address thanks to roster mismanagement by the previous regime.  That doesn't get magically fixed in 12 months.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ChristoThor said:

I know this isn't our only problem, but we desperately need an OL that can block. That goes for running and passing. I know that pass blocking has been better than run blocking (not that it means much), but I think we would see a different side of this offense if we could just block.

Indeed…saw tackles for a loss where OL were standing as the play finished around them. Oh..they were already beaten so nothing else to do but watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

We could bring in 20 high school O lineman and it wouldn't make a huge difference next year.  O-line takes time to develop.  Thus the portal for immediate help.

Next year will likely not be great.  This program, especially the o line, had major issues to address thanks to roster mismanagement by the previous regime.  That doesn't get magically fixed in 12 months.

This.  If you want to keep the pitchforks at bay long enough to recruit and then develop incoming high school players, JUCO/portal is basically a necessity.

• Like 2

An oline so good the defense will have to make an extraordinary play to stop 3rd and 2. What Auburn has right now is an oline where it takes an extraordinary play to make a 3rd and 2.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Will AU win a game next year ?? 

We could start with winning the spring game!

• Haha 1

Am I the only one that is getting to the point where I don’t care? I care enough to watch but I don’t get upset when we lose anymore. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alexava said:

Am I the only one that is getting to the point where I don’t care? I care enough to watch but I don’t get upset when we lose anymore. 

That started about 4-5 years ago for a lot of folks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Do everything you can to bring in the most game ready transfer QB. Obviously work on the OL too, but that's a harder fix requiring multiple players. Find a QB that can cover up other deficiencies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexava said:

That’s because losing has become a habit at Auburn, it’s been that way for years now.  Everyone loses, the trick is to not make a habit of it. 
Harsin has an uphill battle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Fix the OL and we are easily a 9-10 win team consistently. 

OL can give us running lanes (if there are not too many in the box). Have to have QB.

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

That’s because losing has become a habit at Auburn, it’s been that way for years now.  Everyone loses, the trick is to not make a habit of it. 
Harsin has an uphill battle.

This is the first losing season in 10 years. 

40 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

OL can give us running lanes (if there are not too many in the box). Have to have QB.

A strong running game makes the QB's job easier. 

If they could pass block, look out. 

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We have been mediocre for years and are trending down. You are the coach. How do you fix this? 
short term and long term plan…

Recruit better players. Recruit alot better players.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I wish I could say the same thing.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Honestly, my apathy peaked with Double Bubble in charge. I'm slowly becoming more invested as the current regime makes the necessary changes and addresses the gaps left by the DA from Arkansas.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We have been mediocre for years and are trending down. You are the coach. How do you fix this? 
short term and long term plan…

Resign and make Bruce Pearl the football coach too?

• Haha 1