How do you fix this team/program?

gr82b4au

Maybe a big NIL package especially for interior offensive linemen to sweeten the pot in recruiting near-term. It's a risk, but start promoting that squad more. It's a risk because it sounds silly to start promoting something that is currently lower tier. IF we have any state of the art training and conditioning facilities/staff/processes focused on offensive linemen, then get these on a front page. Wouldn't hurt to bring in a marquee NFL OL coach for a few years the calibre of Dante Scarnecchia, Jim Hanifan, Joe Bugel, or Bobb McKittrick - a gray beard savant who's worked with the best, has nothing left to prove, and ready to pass back through college for 2 or 3 years on his way to retirement. Show (in marketing and on the recruiting trail) a squad loading for bear, having fun, and realistically getting ready for the league. Right now they're the common excuse and whipping boy for very offensive offense. Create the image and you hope it starts creating reality. Just an idea.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, AUx said:

Maybe a big NIL package especially for interior offensive linemen to sweeten the pot in recruiting near-term. It's a risk, but start promoting that squad more. It's a risk because it sounds silly to start promoting something that is currently lower tier. IF we have any state of the art training and conditioning facilities/staff/processes focused on offensive linemen, then get these on a front page. Wouldn't hurt to bring in a marquee NFL OL coach for a few years the calibre of Dante Scarnecchia, Jim Hanifan, Joe Bugel, or Bobb McKittrick - a gray beard savant who's worked with the best, has nothing left to prove, and ready to pass back through college for 2 or 3 years on his way to retirement. Show (in marketing and on the recruiting trail) a squad loading for bear, having fun, and realistically getting ready for the league. Right now they're the common excuse and whipping boy for very offensive offense. Create the image and you hope it starts creating reality. Just an idea.

I like this.. Auburn is not recruiting the areas where offensive linemen "hangout" LOL .. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana. Iowa, Arkansas, Ohio. NIL would help with this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

I like this.. Auburn is not recruiting the areas where offensive linemen "hangout" LOL .. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana. Iowa, Arkansas, Ohio. NIL would help with this. 

So plaster the nation with pictures of our OL in weather that doesn't suck, surrounded by Auburn co-eds in warm weather attire (*ahem*), tomahawk ribeyes, and custom Apple VR gear.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

More blue chip OLs from from the southeast and Texas than those states. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alexava said:

This is the first losing season in 10 years. 

Correct, along with numerous losses as well in those 10 years.  3-4-5-6 losses a year for   10 years is a team with a habit of losing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUx said:

This is definitely some #NewSchool thinking that would get kids attention.  Much like our current social media team's stuff seen on Twitter and Instagram.  Every little bit helps.  The NFL OL coach much like our new OC would be a solid selling point for prospective players.

1 minute ago, SRBautigerfan said:

This is definitely some #NewSchool thinking that would get kids attention.  Much like our current social media team's stuff seen on Twitter and Instagram.  Every little bit helps.  The NFL OL coach much like our new OC would be a solid selling point for prospective players.

I think it's just common sense. We know perception affects reality especially in mass marketed sports. If you want to be the best, then your approach has to feel, smell, sound, and look like what folks expect the best to look like. You can get by for a short time if your marketing precedes on-field results. I love and believe in my alma mater. But I take no offense when Auburn goes outside the fambly for professional anything. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUx said:

I love and believe in my alma mater. But I take no offense when Auburn goes outside the fambly for professional anything. 

It's the only way forward. 

1 hour ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

I agree, the NIL is very important because we could put 10 more HS OL on the roster today and it wouldn't solve the OL problem in the short term. We need transfers and JUCOs with experience, those that can play right now at a higher level, to even have a chance to fix OL issues for next year. As of today, 12 of the top 16 OL transfers are already taken. It's going to be tough to find them as it is but the NIL would give our recruiters a major assist. 

Edited by IronMan70

1 hour ago, AUx said:

That's what I am talking about !! Or we could simply have our lineman say that they are as tough as " Treated Yellow Wood Pine "  Cough Cough 

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Short term need a QB and 3 Olinemen.  That would cure a lot of what ails Auburn.  Auburn needs consistency on the offensive side of the ball.  Consistent philosophy, consistent coaching, and consistent recruiting.  

Gotta emulate Saban at Bama.

He came in all business. He's in nobody's pocket. Boosters never told him whom to hire, recruit, or  allow call plays, etc. As the Head Coach, Bryan Harsin has to set a relentless, pervasive, consistent standard that every single person connected with AU football has to adopt. From on-field coaches, med staff, scholarship players, walk-ons, analysts, student support staff, tutors, whatever, EVERYONE has to be about HIS standard of excellence in what they do. No days off, no plays off, no workouts cut short, no film time cut short, no tardy slips, no indefensible brainfarts, no excuses, etc. Either perform to the standard or be processed out and supplanted by those who can. If he can set this consistent standard and maintain accountability, the recruits will come, the machine will get built, and the wins will come. If not, AU will continue down its present path to the historical heights of a program like USCe.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

51 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

That's what I am talking about !! Or we could simply have our lineman say that they are as tough as " Treated Yellow Wood Pine "  Cough Cough 

Maybe Seth MacFarlane would want to sponsor. Nobody these days is associated with offensive lines as much as he.

5 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

He came in all business. He's in nobody's pocket. Boosters never told him whom to hire, recruit, or  allow call plays, etc. As the Head Coach, Bryan Harsin has to set a relentless, pervasive, consistent standard that every single person connected with AU football has to adopt. From on-field coaches, med staff, scholarship players, walk-ons, analysts, student support staff, tutors, whatever, EVERYONE has to be about HIS standard of excellence in what they do. No days off, no plays off, no workouts cut short, no film time cut short, no tardy slips, no indefensible brainfarts, no excuses, etc. Either perform to the standard or be processed out and supplanted by those who can. If he can set this consistent standard and maintain accountability, the recruits will come, the machine will get built, and the wins will come. If not, AU will continue down its present path to the historical heights of a program like USCe.

i think we are damn near there already. those SCe cats have beat us two years in a row.  also why have we not gotten any ol's from the juco ranks? are we hoping to do better in the portal? it just seems odd we are racking up on d guys and that is it.

10 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think we are damn near there already. those SCe cats have beat us two years in a row.  also why have we not gotten any ol's from the juco ranks? are we hoping to do better in the portal? it just seems odd we are racking up on d guys and that is it.

The AU family has primarily put Harsin on the 'defensive.' Cut him some slack and let him be totally 'offensive.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

As the Head Coach, Bryan Harsin has to set a relentless, pervasive, consistent standard that every single person connected with AU football has to adopt. From on-field coaches, med staff, scholarship players, walk-ons, analysts, student support staff, tutors, whatever, EVERYONE has to be about HIS standard of excellence in what they do. No days off, no plays off, no workouts cut short, no film time cut short, no tardy slips, no indefensible brainfarts, no excuses, etc. Either perform to the standard or be processed out and supplanted by those who can. If he can set this consistent standard and maintain accountability, the recruits will come, the machine will get built, and the wins will come. If not, AU will continue down its present path to the historical heights of a program like USCe.

That's what I see from the outside from CBH and why I keep pleading with chicken little about time and patience.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Agreed but Saban only had that sway because he’d won a MNC recently in the SEC and because bama had just gone through the most excruciating coaching search in their history.

Saban also immediately had bama recruiting top 5 and won a NC in three years. Harsin will be doing a good job to bring in just a winning record with what we have coming back. Patience is very limited in the SEC. There’s just too much money invested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

The Red Elephant Club, at Saban's direction, also immediately had bama recruiting top 5 and won a NC in three years. Harsin will be doing a good job to bring in just a winning record with what we have coming back. Patience is very limited in the SEC. There’s just too much money invested.

Tweaked it slightly.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

More blue chip OLs from from the southeast and Texas than those states. 

Very true, But we aren’t winning battle there. Until we prove we can win enough of those battles we should consider scanning the Midwest and Great Plains for talent. I would like our chances of battling K State and Iowa for the next Braden Smith or Alex Kozan more than fighting Bama or UGA for them. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Very true, But we aren’t winning battle there. Until we prove we can win enough of those battles we should consider scanning the Midwest and Great Plains for talent. I would like our chances of battling K State and Iowa for the next Braden Smith or Alex Kozan more than fighting Bama or UGA for them. 

Fair enough. I'm sure they're willing to go wherever they need to.

I was just responding to the idea that the talent is concentrated in the midwest, although I very well might have misinterpreted that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fair enough. I'm sure they're willing to go wherever they need to.

I was just responding to the idea that the talent is concentrated in the midwest, although I very well might have misinterpreted that. 

It’s a great topic for discussion. I agree with you that the southeast and Texas is where the bulk of the talent is. Ideally we need to just start winning more OL battles in those areas. But it is interesting to me how many great lineman are in the Midwest and Great Plains. The kids out there don’t do a lot of the high profile camps so they often don’t get rated as high and end up with fewer P5 offers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Agreed but Saban only had that sway because he’d won a MNC recently in the SEC and because bama had just gone through the most excruciating coaching search in their history.

Saban also immediately had bama recruiting top 5 and won a NC in three years. Harsin will be doing a good job to bring in just a winning record with what we have coming back. Patience is very limited in the SEC. There’s just too much money invested.

money has always been invested; that is nothing new, the playoffs has sent people over the top if they are not in the conversation then hells bell. Wake me up when UGA wins a chip, and how many years has he been over now? hell, they were beating us before he got there but the morale of this story is that this staff will need to recruit better at every position to get back to respectability in a short time, if not, take the Michigan route build and build and keep grinding until it all come together.

4 hours ago, AUx said:

The AU family has primarily put Harsin on the 'defensive.' Cut him some slack and let him be totally 'offensive.'

He was very offensive yesterday.