How do you fix this team/program?

gr82b4au

The answer is not straight forward. But it starts with the fact that our two biggest rivals, who already have natural recruiting advantages over us because they have bigger sidewalk fan bases, are both now being led by dynamite recruiters. The prospects we were able to land early in the Saban era and during the Richt era at UGA are now choosing the schools they’ve been fans of since childhood over us. There’s really not an easy answer aside from to hire someone that is a hell of a recruiter and then wait for Kirby or Saban to leave.

Patience. Without it Auburn is 10 years away from sniffing another SEC Championship 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Recruiting isn't over.  There are likely more high school O linemen coming in February + the portal.

2) He proved he can recruit the South this year.  O line is obviously a priority for next year, but the poster essentially said Harsin can't recruit down here despite the evidence that he very much can.

i cannot remember where i saw it but i read where we signed five five stars from the juco's? do you happen to know if this is true?

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Do everything you can to bring in the most game ready transfer QB. Obviously work on the OL too, but that's a harder fix requiring multiple players. Find a QB that can cover up other deficiencies. 

This! ...and find just one WR that's a playmaker with elite speed to go with him.  We don't have any offensive players that the other team really has to scheme for.  

11 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

An oline so good the defense will have to make an extraordinary play to stop 3rd and 2. What Auburn has right now is an oline where it takes an extraordinary play to make a 3rd and 2.

Heck, we couldn't pick up 6"...on a QB sneak...with a 270lb QB.

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

but nobody on this board can deny the shitshow Oline that Dbag Gus left . 

doc-holliday.gif

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Do everything you can to bring in the most game ready transfer QB.

I'm not sure that exists. 

The portal is extremely bleak wrt QBs still available. Calzada is awful. He's no upgrade. I can't imagine Ward us high on us with all the other options. 

Taming a kid that was passed on the the DC post spring isn't ideal...

I guess we are back to praying a QB develops (that does happen) or [insert Tr Freshman QB] can definitely come in and start in the SEC. He's different!!!!

There is no reason for anyone to be 100%. However, there is no reason for anyone to be extremely dismissive based on the context of everything this season. I find those that are weren’t happy with the hire to begin with and the other were just so happy to rid themselves of Gus, they don’t even care at this point. CBH has done some positive things but has a lot to prove. Next year will be extremely telling. CDM has done plenty of good this year in my eyes and it even looks better as his recruiting has taking off. I need to see something from that front with CBH. 

• Like 3

Auburn needs a QB. The oline and all it’s issues in the run game still managed well in pass blocking. But one QB (Bo) could not rid himself of bad habits, and the other (TJ) still needs some more seasoning. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

the other were just so happy to rid themselves of Gus

I'm guilty of some of this. "At least they weren't the same kinds of mistakes Gus made." 

Side note, I'm not sure everyone's staying cognizant that we're comparing year 1 of Harsin to years 6, 7 and 8 under Gus. It's not any more accurate to judge this guy on year 1 than it was to judge the last guy on year 1. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm guilty of some of this. "At least they weren't the same kinds of mistakes Gus made." 

Side note, I'm not sure everyone's staying cognizant that we're comparing year 1 of Harsin to years 6, 7 and 8 under Gus. It's not any more accurate to judge this guy on year 1 than it was to judge the last guy on year 1. 

I agree which is I laughed at that thread about Gus. You can’t compare the two. 

• Like 2

It’s become the cool thing to do to not go to Auburn if you’re an offensive lineman and that has to change. We are finding out in real time that if you take an Oline away from a team it will completely kill the entire football program. There’s no way around it. The fact that our Oline can’t provide enough push for our 6’7 QB to line up under center and get 1 yard is f’ing ridiculous. At this point we are just gifting fat dudes a college education to be a body on the field so we look like a college football team.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s become the cool thing to do to not go to Auburn if you’re an offensive lineman and that has to change. We are finding out in real time that if you take an Oline away from a team it will completely kill the entire football program. There’s no way around it. The fact that our Oline can’t provide enough push for our 6’7 QB to line up under center and get 1 yard is f’ing ridiculous. At this point we are just gifting fat dudes a college education to be a body on the field so we look like a college football team.

It’s going to take time for the crew to establish relationships. Auburn was not in position to roll it’s hat out there and get some of these elite Olineman. The previous staff did not plant enough seeds, so it was really nothing for Harsin to pick up on. He did hire Friend and Bobo but so far their connections have not paid any dividends. Based on the recent class I can see the potential for this staff to close that gap in oline recruiting however it’s probably gonna take time, and unfortunately patience is not a virtue for Auburn fans at times. This will not be a quick fix, oline is one position where relationships and time recruiting matters the most. And right now Auburn is behind the eight ball.

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We are finding out in real time that if you take an Oline away from a team it will completely kill the entire football program.

If only someone had seen it coming. 

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

At this point we are just gifting fat dudes a college education to be a body on the field so we look like a college football team.

Come on, now. Those guys might not be as talented or instinctual as their counterparts but I've seen nothing to suggest that they don't bust their asses and bleed for those scholarships just like the rest. 

• Like 2

Just piggybacking on what others have already said.   It’s all about recruiting!!!!  
Short term —>   We need some OL immediately! (Portal and HS)  We need to find a legit QB via the portal.  And we need a WR1.  If we get those we can be a team that is in the discussion for SECW, playoff, etc.  (not ready to get there yet, but at least in the discussion) 

Long term, the answer is recruiting!!!    Continue to recruit at a very high level (consistently top 10 that meets needs across the board), develop that talent, put them in the best position to be successful.  

I really believe IF Harsin can get over the hump and fix the short term in spite of the obstacles, he is a very good one to have long term success.   Short term he’s trying to build a championship program from the basement up, while competing against our 2 biggest rivals who’ve already got it built better than anyone and have a different set of rules than anyone else.  We’re also competing against a 3rd program who is well on their way to that level (tamu).   To continue my analogy— while we’re digging the hole for the basement, they’re picking out furniture.    His job is extremely difficult!!! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To even act like the variables across timespans in football are remotely the same is crazy talk. And I’ve been guilty of trying it when the potential comparison makes me feel good.

I have forced myself to stop with those comparisons all together. The football climates are different planets at this point. The challenges that past coaches faced are not the same challenges faced now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If only someone had seen it coming. 

Come on, now. Those guys might not be as talented or instinctual as their counterparts but I've seen nothing to suggest that they don't bust their asses and bleed for those scholarships just like the rest. 

Lol. I’m over exaggerating on the fat dudes part. But I will say that as a guy who played some Oline and Dline, you take the form of your leader. And as cool as a dude as Nick Brahm seems to be, he’s about as soft a center as I’ve seen Auburn have since I’ve started watching football. They just all seem super laid back and care free.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Lol. I’m over exaggerating on the fat dudes part. But I will say that as a guy who played some Oline and Dline, you take the form of your leader. And as cool as a dude as Nick Brahm seems to be, he’s about as soft a center as I’ve seen Auburn have since I’ve started watching football. They just all seem super laid back and care free.

Copy that! A certain environment seemed to attract a certain kind of player. No argument here. 

We desperately need more nasty. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Copy that! A certain environment seemed to attract a certain kind of player. No argument here. 

We desperately need more nasty. 

Dear God Finally. I will get crucified for this but I am just sick and tired of being the nice friendly team down the road. We need to get wicked nasty throat cutting dirt in your eyes mean. You can still be an Auburn Man but check that blue blazer and them kakis at the door of the locker room. Loose a game oh well but make them feel like that they NEVER want to play you again. When their defensive back takes a leak two days later you want him to remember just how hard you hit him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We have been mediocre for years and are trending down. You are the coach. How do you fix this? 
short term and long term plan…

Analysts and Advisors??? Who are these people? Especially the Offensive side of the ball. Recruit the QB position hard. It can be hit or miss. Is Auburn gonna allow Harsin to bring in who he wants? Real hardcore Auburn folks knew the ship had a leak. 

Recruit Nation Wide. Top of List is Offensive Line.. example Minnesota. Their Line is MASSIVE. Recruit the same areas. Tightends that can stretch the field. WRs that can stretch the field, no break away TDs this season to my knowledge.  Guys that can run on Defense, that arent afraid to cover tight..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Dear God Finally. I will get crucified for this but I am just sick and tired of being the nice friendly team down the road. We need to get wicked nasty throat cutting dirt in your eyes mean. You can still be an Auburn Man but check that blue blazer and them kakis at the door of the locker room. Loose a game oh well but make them feel like that they NEVER want to play you again. When their defensive back takes a leak two days later you want him to remember just how hard you hit him.

Folks didn't want to hear about culture change. 

Takes time. 

• Like 1

Lot of good answers in this thread and a lot of BS as well. 

IMO we aren't that far from being a 10 win team. Now, we are a good ways from being able to compete with the likes of UGA and Bama on a yearly basis. These two things are not the same, but a 10 win team is not THAT far off. 

I think a number of things this season could have been the difference in 10-3 or 6-7. 

#1- Legit WR1.

#2- Legit SEC level QB 

#3- about 3 solid SEC caliber OL perferrably OT

I think if all 3 of those were met we we win 11 games this year including bowl.

If #1 and #2 are met alone we win 10. 

If # 1 or #2 alone is met we likely win 7-8.

48 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Just piggybacking on what others have already said.   It’s all about recruiting!!!!  
Short term —>   We need some OL immediately! (Portal and HS)  We need to find a legit QB via the portal.  And we need a WR1.  If we get those we can be a team that is in the discussion for SECW, playoff, etc.  (not ready to get there yet, but at least in the discussion) 

Long term, the answer is recruiting!!!    Continue to recruit at a very high level (consistently top 10 that meets needs across the board), develop that talent, put them in the best position to be successful.  

I really believe IF Harsin can get over the hump and fix the short term in spite of the obstacles, he is a very good one to have long term success.   Short term he’s trying to build a championship program from the basement up, while competing against our 2 biggest rivals who’ve already got it built better than anyone and have a different set of rules than anyone else.  We’re also competing against a 3rd program who is well on their way to that level (tamu).   To continue my analogy— while we’re digging the hole for the basement, they’re picking out furniture.    His job is extremely difficult!!! 

Nailed it!! Auburn needs folks across country, network, contacts. Its probably already there. Did ya see that Minnesota Oline last night. the left over dude played FB.. he was 6'9" 380lbs (he has been on a diet)... the others avg 6'6" 336. Road Graders.. We need to be smart, this is gonna be fixed through nationwide channels. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i cannot remember where i saw it but i read where we signed five five stars from the juco's? do you happen to know if this is true?

Its not.  We did sign the #1 overall JUCO player, the #1 JUCO safety, and the #1 JUCO CB though.

• Like 2