Harsin calling plays, more fast tempo

AU-24

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think tempo makes an offense go. You have to be able to do something really well then tempo makes it much harder to contain. We were able to run the ball well in ‘13. Tempo made our good run game lead the Nation in rushing. I love it. We just never got the pieces put back in place to do it again after’14. 

2013 was an unrealistic way of creating a football offense. It was the perfect storm of players, college football rules (Such as blocking down field) and team of destiny moments. He literally ran the same two or three plays over and over again. You can't not maintain success like that. You have to involve because the rest of the game will as well and that is what changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Its interesting that gus went from tempo to slow poke.  I always wondere why the change for Gus.  

When Gus had a solid oline with seasoned players who knew their job and executed it,  he was able to take advantage of a defense & he could run his O much better in the early years.  Gus used to have his offense hurry up to the line, do the meercat & then sub his players once he read the defense and then he'd call the play while the opponents defense stood on the field with labored breathing.  When the rules changed and defenses were allowed to sub when the offense subbed, Gus' scheme didn't to produce like it once did because the element of surprise was gone and he could no longer put the defense in a stalemate.  

Defenses caught up and they adjusted by recruiting leaner, faster defensive players to go up against those fast-spread offenses.  Gus was too stubborn to evolve his style and he could never trust his OC's. 

Some teams in this conference have perfected the use of the HUNH/fast pace offense and they sprinkle in throughout the game at opportune times and are able to steadily move down the field.  The coaches that are able to evolve and adapt to the changing times seem to be more successful than the one's that don't. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because Harsin's tendencies on offense have resembled Gus's in what other ways, exactly?

Admittedly, I do not know Harsin's tendencies on offense.  The headline itself feels Dejavu and very reminiscent of times past and when I'd see it I'd puke up my coffee. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Admittedly, I do not know Harsin's tendencies on offense.  The headline itself feels Dejavu and very reminiscent of times past and when I'd see it I'd puke up my coffee. 

I can understand the word 'up tempo' can give you pause back to Gus' offense, but if Harsin runs up tempo, that could mean a pass to a TE or a screen to a RB. 

With Gus we always knew up tempo and fast meant, hand off to the RB between the tackles to just catch the defense off guard. Didn't require Any deviation from offensive play calling. 

Harsin it seems has a lot more in his head for playcalling variety.  I'll go with Harsin's plan with more confidence.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Article states Harsin has always had his hand on the O. Harsin wants more of a fast-paced tempo, Harsin will call the plays.

Sounds allot like somebody else we know…

In other words…SSDD.

Can we send Marty and Doc after our next Group of Five HC?

18 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Tempo doesn't work when you have a different set of players for each play. Tempo can still work if you don't substitute.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Lol like the 2-minute drill hasn't been a thing in the NFL for decades. Tempo has been a thing for a long time and will always be a thing. We shouldn't let Gus's brief window of getting away with a gimmick change our basic understanding of football. 

It'll be exciting if we can get the play call in, get lined up, and get the ball snapped quickly when the situation calls for it. 

This x1000. I can't stand that when there is a close play and we don't snap the ball in 8 seconds to avoid a review. We have screwed ourselves so many times.

If I were the coach, I'd have a signal for a "kill" play - something that you could signal in like you do like when clocking the ball - so that if you need it you call it, everyone lines up and just quick snaps. At some point, it is a good move to trade only gaining a couple yards on a non-perfect play call for losing a 30-40 yard gain after getting screwed by Birmingham on replay.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sadly, that's enough for an alarmingly significant portion of this fan base to make up their minds on a dude. 

Thread started by a wanna-be troll and followed up with an account that joined within the month. There seems to be a trend with the recent newcomers...anti-Harsin. Don't read too much into the narrative they want to start

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-brings-a-different-tempo-to-offense-auburn-tigers-football

Article states Harsin has always had his hand on the O. Harsin wants more of a fast-paced tempo, Harsin will call the plays.

People have ignored the fact that Harsin's offense is very similar to Gus's offense.  Nothing wrong with that, but when people act like that what Harsin ran at Boise is a drastic change, I laugh. This discusses that some.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jul/24/harsin-comfortable-following-malzahn/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, selias said:

Thread started by a wanna-be troll and followed up with an account that joined within the month. There seems to be a trend with the recent newcomers...anti-Harsin. Don't read too much into the narrative they want to start

You really don't have to attack somebody to respond to a post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Tempo will never be what it was in the peak Gus Bus days, but tempo can still be used effectively. I actually prefer an offense that really uses tempo to their advantage in a multitude of ways. Upbeat when needed, super fast when needed, and slow as grandma Eldra on Christmas morning when needed.

Alabama used it very effectively to wear the hell out of Jordan Davis

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Alabama used it very effectively to wear the hell out of Jordan Davis

It seemed like that giant of a man was looking for the sidelines every other snap.  

• Love 1

19 hours ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-brings-a-different-tempo-to-offense-auburn-tigers-football

Don't focus too much on the play calling comparison (no matter how small the similarities), but focus on the culture he is installing here.  It's a culture we need...it's a culture Auburn should be.  Hard work...no primadonna attitudes.  Harsin cares more about work ethic and getting these guys to the NFL than he does playing the fun/funny/attitude players.  Hard work and effort on every play.  Seen too many entitled attitudes the last few years...

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

@McLoofusis NOT going to let y’all praise Gus today 🤣🤣🤣 

Hah! Nah, it's not that, although I definitely made it sound like that. (I mean, it was a gimmick. I disagreed at the time, but if one small rule change shuts down your offense, or if your offense can't run without an extremely specific set of players that you're incapable of actually recruiting on a consistent basis... then your offense is a gimmick.)

My point is that Auburn fans might have a skewed or narrow interpretation of the word "tempo" due to a brief period of spectacular success with the HUNH.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Don't focus too much on the play calling comparison (no matter how small the similarities), but focus on the culture he is installing here.  It's a culture we need...it's a culture Auburn should be.  Hard work...no primadonna attitudes.  Harsin cares more about work ethic and getting these guys to the NFL than he does playing the fun/funny/attitude players.  Hard work and effort on every play.  Seen too many entitled attitudes the last few years...

This work hard and entitled stuff is beginning to be redundant. With the higher rated guys u have a few hiccup’s. The offensive side may have been lacking but the defensive side  played their behinds off. Garner was accused of being to hard on individuals. U can preach all that stuff but at the end of the day all that matters is wins and losses. Coaching and scheme has to improve within the culture as well.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

2013 was an unrealistic way of creating a football offense. It was the perfect storm of players, college football rules (Such as blocking down field) and team of destiny moments. He literally ran the same two or three plays over and over again. You can't not maintain success like that. You have to involve because the rest of the game will as well and that is what changed.

Has blocking down field changed?

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Some of these comments really show you that either:

A). People really don't know football

B). People only watch Auburn football

C). All of the above

The fact that some of you think a HC calling plays with up-tempo is a Gus thing is like thinking Blake Griffin originated the alley oop. 

There are a lot of people on this site that don't know.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hah! Nah, it's not that, although I definitely made it sound like that. (I mean, it was a gimmick. I disagreed at the time, but if one small rule change shuts down your offense, or if your offense can't run without an extremely specific set of players that you're incapable of actually recruiting on a consistent basis... then your offense is a gimmick.)

My point is that Auburn fans might have a skewed or narrow interpretation of the word "tempo" due to a brief period of spectacular success with the HUNH.

preach

• Like 1

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Because Harsin's tendencies on offense have resembled Gus's in what other ways, exactly?

Well, they both use helmets, cleats, chin straps, and...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Has blocking down field changed?

The way it is police has changed after a potential ruling to minimize the three yard vs 1 yard rule was tabled. It was called liberally until after 2014. Greg Robinson lived off that rule. This in addition to a couple of other rule changes extremely diminished Gus Malzahn path of being an offensive genius. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sadly, that's enough for an alarmingly significant portion of this fan base to make up their minds on a dude. 

You have obviously never heard of the ESPN Herbstreit Eye Test, then, have you? Bama has been passing it for about 10 years.......

• Love 1