Harsin calling plays, more fast tempo

AU-24

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-brings-a-different-tempo-to-offense-auburn-tigers-football

Article states Harsin has always had his hand on the O. Harsin wants more of a fast-paced tempo, Harsin will call the plays.

Sounds allot like somebody else we know…

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-brings-a-different-tempo-to-offense-auburn-tigers-football

Article states Harsin has always had his hand on the O. Harsin wants more of a fast-paced tempo, Harsin will call the plays.

every offensive minded head coach in the country has a hand in their offense, that is kinda how it works.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

every offensive minded head coach in the country has a hand in their offense, that is kinda how it works.

I prefer it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Yep. Needed you during the feeding frenzy here 2 years ago.

13 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I pretty much roll my eyes when I hear anything about tempo.. Ever since Saban freaked out and pushed so hard to change the rules the whole tempo stuff has been less than what it once was.

Tempo will never be what it was in the peak Gus Bus days, but tempo can still be used effectively. I actually prefer an offense that really uses tempo to their advantage in a multitude of ways. Upbeat when needed, super fast when needed, and slow as grandma Eldra on Christmas morning when needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Tempo will never be what it was in the peak Gus Bus days, but tempo can still be used effectively. I actually prefer an offense that really uses tempo to their advantage in a multitude of ways. Upbeat when needed, super fast when needed, and slow as grandma Eldra on Christmas morning when needed.

Yes that's definitely true, one thing I liked from those days was how our guys were coached to immediately find the referee and get them the ball. I think it would be beneficial to do that again for tempo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yes.  The problem with Gus Bus tempo after the first 2 years was that it was so predictable!   Using tempo to give you a strategic advantage can be very helpful!   CLK at OM does this well.  bama has done it well at times.  Several other teams have used tempo very well.  Just not Gus.  I would be interested to go back and watch some Boise offense and see how he used tempo there.  

14 hours ago, au302 said:

Don't think we have a true fullback on the roster right now. How are we going to be able to run the whirlybird this time around? 

That's the beauty of the whirlybird!  It's a no talent play call, and takes no talent to execute since it's enormously unsuccessful 100% of the time, so conceptually even the water boy should be able to execute it with the same dismal results...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Its interesting that gus went from tempo to slow poke.  I always wondere why the change for Gus.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Its interesting that gus went from tempo to slow poke.  I always wondere why the change for Gus.  

The rules changed.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The rules changed.

saBAN complained. the rules changed.  FIFY

but you can still run tempo. (see: ole missy)    just get rid of the stupid substitutions

Edited by EastAl_Tiger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The rules changed.

True, but many other teams still went fast. Gus seemed to want to make sure he had the perfect personnel package (in his mind). Nobody ever knew the wheel route was coming with Joiner in the game lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol like the 2-minute drill hasn't been a thing in the NFL for decades. Tempo has been a thing for a long time and will always be a thing. We shouldn't let Gus's brief window of getting away with a gimmick change our basic understanding of football. 

It'll be exciting if we can get the play call in, get lined up, and get the ball snapped quickly when the situation calls for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“This has been Coach Harsin’s terminology all along, so it’s not really a change of terminology,” said Finley. “So, it hasn’t been a big shift as far as play-calling, but the tempo and the rhythm we have as an offensive team right now is a little different. But we’ve done a great job these past couple days of adjusting and getting to where Coach Harsin wants us to be as an offense.”

Explains a lot

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Nobody ever knew the wheel route was coming with Joiner in the game lol.

As a sidenote, Harold crushed it at Michigan State this year.  11 carries for 34 yards to go along with 24 receiving yards.   58 yards from scrimmage...  But, he looks the part getting off the bus...  One of my friends noted that while at MBHS, "Harold was the fastest player on the field while running to the safety of the sideline." 

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

As a sidenote, Harold crushed it at Michigan State this year.  11 carries for 34 yards to go along with 24 receiving yards.   58 yards from scrimmage...  But, he looks the part getting off the bus...  One of my friends noted that while at MBHS, "Harold was the fastest player on the field while running to the safety of the sideline." 

Sadly, that's enough for an alarmingly significant portion of this fan base to make up their minds on a dude. 

16 hours ago, AU-24 said:

THIS feels soooo Dejavu, it's almost nauseating.  🤢

• Like 1

I don’t think tempo makes an offense go. You have to be able to do something really well then tempo makes it much harder to contain. We were able to run the ball well in ‘13. Tempo made our good run game lead the Nation in rushing. I love it. We just never got the pieces put back in place to do it again after’14. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

THIS feels soooo Dejavu, it's almost nauseating.  🤢

Because Harsin's tendencies on offense have resembled Gus's in what other ways, exactly?

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

True, but many other teams still went fast. Gus seemed to want to make sure he had the perfect personnel package (in his mind). Nobody ever knew the wheel route was coming with Joiner in the game lol.

That's my thought as well. I think Gus got caught up in his on ego to Denise the perfect call and tempo wasn't conducive to that.