Men vs St Louis Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Kessler and Wendell were big in this game. Then Jabari hit a key 3 and KD despite a really bad game hit 2 key FT's and a key jumper near the end..  Like in the U-Conn game big guards hurt us, they got a lot of rebounds. Flanigan will be a much better matchup on D and on the boards. I can't wait for him to be ready. When we do see him we have to realize there could be some initial hiccups as he won't be in game shape and team hasn't played with him much but by end of season he a team should be firing on all cylinders.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Kessler might start getting more credit for how valuable he is- filling up the stat sheet every game and playing great defense. Half of the “fouls” he’s getting called for are clean plays too. Not as sexy as Jabari’s game but such an important piece

First time at AU that eve had that kind of defensive presence down low.  It makes all the difference in the world.

Side note: Avery still has some bama dripping out of his mouth when calling Auburn games.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This was a much better Billikens team than the one who lost back to back 5 point games to UAB and Belmont two weeks ago. We left a LOT of shots on the front of the rim. Gotta finish a little better, or go up stronger, even though the refs were looking the other way until Bruce's technical and KD slammed hard on the floor. I kept waiting for their point guard Collins and big guy Okoro to wear down, which they finally did. That Collins kid played out of his mind.

19 minutes ago, fredst said:

Kessler might start getting more credit for how valuable he is- filling up the stat sheet every game and playing great defense. Half of the “fouls” he’s getting called for are clean plays too. Not as sexy as Jabari’s game but such an important piece

He is improving every game, but a lot of that has to do with the attention Jabari is getting. Defensively I saw it game 1 and he has become a premiere shot blocker since. Offensively, I don’t know if he has it yet,  but the attention Jabari is getting is making Kessler’s job easy. Love what Pearl is doing with this team. That group that ended the game is the formidable!!  Glad he ended with that 5. The only one that I worried about having the ball ended up making the bucket that gave us the lead and made crucial free throws….Scary to think about what we we can be like if/when Flanagan returns to form!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

We were out rebounded by 19 -  This is where guard play hurt us their guards got 21 boards ours got 4 with one of those 4 from Berman who also scored 5 points on 2-2 shooting. We actually shot well at just under 47% with around 39% from 3.  Kessler's 8-12 helped as many were dunks. Kessler was 1 rebound short of another double double with 19 points - 9 boards - 4 Blocks -1 steal - and 1 assist. Greene was impressive hitting key shots and setting up Kessler. To be honest we did not play well enough to win but it shows you something about a team that finds a way to win when they have a bad game.  

• Like 2

We really, REALLY need a healthy Flanigan. Especially against the bigger, physical guards and wings we're going to face. His versality on defense and ability to attack the paint and rim would be a big asset heading into conference play. He's a matchup problem for other teams and we need his energy and leadership. Flanigan would have been a BIG help on the boards tonight with those long rebounds Collins kept getting, over and over.

Edited by slyinsocal

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We were out rebounded by 19 -  This is where guard play hurt us their guards got 21 boards ours got 4 with one of those 4 from Berman who also scored 5 points on 2-2 shooting. We actually shot well at just under 47% with around 39% from 3.  Kessler's 8-12 helped as many were dunks. Kessler was 1 rebound short of another double double with 19 points - 9 boards - 4 Blocks -1 steal - and 1 assist. Greene was impressive hitting key shots and setting up Kessler. To be honest we did not play well enough to win but it shows you something about a team that finds a way to win when they have a bad game.  

Nitpicking here, with Kessler shot blocking don’t be surprised if we are often behind in the rebounding column. He makes up for it with his shot blocking. Which I’m sure we all can agree we would take that over the rebounds. Don’t get me wrong. He is and can be a great rebounder, but he takes himself out of position a lot by going for the block.  When he doesn’t go for the block he does an excellent job of finding a body, boxing out, and gets in great position for the rebound. If he can ever find that perfect balance of block or rebound. Oh man, that could make an interesting box score!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

First time at AU that eve had that kind of defensive presence down low.  It makes all the difference in the world.

Side note: Avery still has some bama dripping out of his mouth when calling Auburn games.

I wondered why at least one of the commentators sounded more like a St. Louis cheerleader.

46 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I wondered why at least one of the commentators sounded more like a St. Louis cheerleader.

I like Avery, I know him personally.  I met him when I was 14 living in San Antonio. He used to come to our church every once and a while and preach/share.  

Last night though...sheesh 🙄

Just now, bigbird said:

I like Avery, I know him personally.  I met him when I was 14 living in San Antonio. He used to come to our church every once and a while and preach/share.  

Last night though...sheesh 🙄

Yeah, I had no idea who they were, just couldn't help noticing how excited he was when St.Louis went ahead. Kept waiting on one of them to actually voice an opinion, or concern about the questionable officiating on both ends of the floor. Guess it was too much to expect professional unbiased journalism. What the H was I thinking? 😁

• Haha 2

I will say its fun to read the posts after I know the outcome of the game. Good game to win on the road no matter how bad we looked at times. BB can be so weird just look at the turds having all sorts of problems with a 5-5 Jacksonville St. at home

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

I only saw the highlights on Youtube this morning. I was like gosh, that sounds just like Avery but it can't be.  

• Like 1

10-1 with 2 road wins. The only loss on a neutral floor, in double OT, to a ranked, veteran, and healthy at the time, UConn team. That's outstanding considering all the new faces and how almost every team has let an underdog sneak up and beat them, at home no less.

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd still love to see some set Hi-lo plays between Jabari and Keesler

Almost a fantasy at this point…they don’t do as much with Kessler operating at the top of key anymore, so unless they start asking Jabari to start facilitating out of those face ups…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Almost a fantasy at this point…they don’t do as much with Kessler operating at the top of key anymore, so unless they start asking Jabari to start facilitating out of those face ups…

And there were so many time where the closest person to Kess at the top was 10ft away.  Shoot that big man!

• Like 1