Looking back

Tigerpro2a

On 12/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, DAG said:

I was okay with it because I thought he would make a huge difference in recruiting, the QB play would be better (which it was) and the offense would not stagnate with CBH in control.

This was me 100%.

Now it seems that's what we're actually doing. 

Impossible for me to say without the 20/20 hindsight, but it is nice that we're getting a guy who doesn't bring the baggage of past failures in play calling. (Which I mostly and mistakenly disregarded last time.)

• Like 3

At the time, I thought Bobo was a solid but not spectacular hire. The man knew/knows the SEC, had some success, and could help the "outsiders" find their way in the conference. I didn't expect him to completely flame-out/screw the pooch in some of the late season play calls though.

• Like 1

I was excited for QB development but was very concerned with his play-calling ability as I read many comments from UGA and USCe fans admonishing his play-calling going away from the run at crucial moments or for whole quarters.  That was proven to be true this past season.

6 hours ago, Didba said:

I was excited for QB development but was very concerned with his play-calling ability as I read many comments from UGA and USCe fans admonishing his play-calling going away from the run at crucial moments or for whole quarters.  That was proven to be true this past season.

I have to admit I was also excited with Bobo from the development side of the ledger. But as the season went on his play calling left me scratching my head on more than one occasion. :dunno:

• Like 1

I'd never heard of Davis until it was posted on this board, I couldn't name a single position coach on any NFL team.   While I never liked the Bobo hire I did understand it because Harsin needed recruiters with regional experience.  I was not impressed with offense this season and some of the idiotic play calling was too reminiscent of the past few years.  

Hopefully the Davis hire brings improved production, the guy has an uphill battle that he better be ready for in the SEC.  

To be clear, many of you would have chosen the guy that had been an NFL QB coach for less than a year and had never coordinated an offense over the guy that had been a longtime OC and a HC.

• WarTiger changed the title to Looking back

I was kinda pleased with Bobo and figured Harsin respected his offense since he coached against him at CO State.   Then when we landed Holden Gariner - I was ecstatic!  I think most would agree.   If not for some dumb stuff (the fade and not running Tank a few more times) in the 4th at Penn State, I felt we were pretty effective at being unpredictable.   This was huge for our O -   I was quite pleased a third of the way into the season.

The wheels came off after the midpoint I guess and it became obvious Drunk Aubie was hanging out with him during the second half of a lot games down the stretch.  Bobo should have picked his friends better I guess.  

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, AU9377 said:

To be clear, many of you would have chosen the guy that had been an NFL QB coach for less than a year and had never coordinated an offense over the guy that had been a longtime OC and a HC.

Thank you. LMAO. It's very hard to take hindsight out, but if we truly could Most people here would have shat themselves.

• Like 1

This thread is on hindsight....

I have never coached football, but have seen more than my fair share.  

One disappointment:  I would have thought a few times Harsin would have vetoed some of the Bobo calls and directed some things like: giving Tank the ball in critical moments or  "oh heck no - we aren't throwing a fade to an underclassman".   I think you get my point - I wonder how hard it is to get a feel for the game 'in the moment' and on the field.  

Maybe some of you who have coached can chime in.  Most of us criticized Gus for not being able to get a sense of his tendencies during a game.  I am a little disappointed we didn't try harder to put the ball in some big play maker's hands with the game on the line (Tank or Shenker).  I think Dye did have a good feel for the game for the most part and Tubs as well for the most part (during a game). 

Am I the only one that felt this was an oversight by the HC?

For the coaches - is this as hard as it looks, in the moment?