Jabari Smith:NBA Draft

toddc

DEC 16, 2021

NBA Draft Big Board: Jabari Smith Jr. Is the New No. 1

The Auburn forward has scouts raving about his upside. See where other prospects land in our 2022 draft rankings.
Sports Illustrated 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

NBADraft.net now has him at the top of their big board as well.

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/

Truly a special talent we’ve got on campus right now.

And three players in their top 100 (kesseler and flanigan)

Chad Ford’s rationale for having him one made a lot of sense to me. He led off with looking at potential top 10 teams for the lottery and guessed which one of those would take who out the big 3 

Only 1 took Banchero and I believe he said 3 should take Chet

It’s very important this SEC slate gets played out for him though, bc they have had substantially tougher comp, and both have performed very well against said comp. Jabari being the upside pick, I’d think you want a little bit more tape against guys comparable to his talent level and some more UConn-esque stages for him to perform on 

44 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s very important this SEC slate gets played out for him though, bc they have had substantially tougher comp, and both have performed very well against said comp. Jabari being the upside pick, I’d think you want a little bit more tape against guys comparable to his talent level and some more UConn-esque stages for him to perform on 

No doubt. You get the feeling that we're only just scratching the surface of how good Jabari can be, which is exciting, but if he doesn't continue to show up when he's going against SEC competition, then he's not going to continue to get talk of being the #1 overall pick.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, alexava said:

He’s certainly not going to be around here long. 

He never was. 

But I sure am enjoying the time he's spending here!

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, bigbird said:

If selected #1, It would give ammo against the G-league and be huge for recruiting.

I’m hoping we do a lot with NIL in basketball.  I have confidence we can beat just about any other college team for a player, but it’s been really tough to beat those G league contracts.   Now maybe we can.   

• Like 2