Auburn and Ex-Coaches

AUght2win

On 12/19/2021 at 4:32 PM, Proud Tiger said:

Yep Tubs came by our tailgate at this year's IB game. He is a friend and IMHO got screwed by JJ and Tim Jackson. One thing for sure.....he is still a big Auburn fan. What has Auburn done to recognize his accomplishments?

I’m still a big Tubs fan, but I thought of his departure as more of a divorce that was in the best interest of both parties.  I never cared for the timing of duck hunting trips during recruiting season and never could figure out why he strayed from his Riverboat Gambler reputation, but I greatly admire the way that he ran a clean program and dealt with disciplinary issues.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

So true. But I haven't posted in the Political Forum for a long time so I don't know what cbo is referring to in his post.

You should still be able to put 2 and 2 together though.  C'mon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, ClaytonAU said:

And no, I don’t think any of coaches outside of Pat (God rest his soul) and Gene should be remembered here. The rest of them left this place in shambles and I don’t think that should be celebrated. 

Tubs did not leave the program in shambles. He just got lazy on the recruiting trail and could not get away with it any longer with the Saban machine really starting to get rolling across the state. Going 5-7 in your last year is not leaving the program in shambles. He left a damn good OL that would really pay off in 2010.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:53 AM, Gowebb11 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I would be very happy to go to an AU game and see any of our past HCs there and being honored. Bowden, Tubs, and Chiz all delivered undefeated seasons and Gus took us to a Natty. All of them represented AU well while part of our school. 

Problem with Bowden is I do not think he wants anything to do with Auburn. I do not think he has had anything good to say about AU since 98....

If you want to honor a particular team for something they accomplished and invite that coach is a good option.   I don’t see the need to honor or memorialize every coach just because of one particular season.   Bowden took CPD players and won 20 straight games.    After that it went off the rails.   Tubby was almost run out of town for doing exactly what Gus did, and then had a once in a decade team and won every game.   Followed all of that up with a losing season.    Chiz got Auburn a National championship and then proceeded to have one of the worst teams in AU history.   Gus took Auburn to a national championship game in his 1st year.   Then proceeded to lose 4-5 games every year but one.   Why the love for all these coaches?   The served at Auburn and were paid handsomely.   Some paid even more to not even coach.   

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, The Freak said:

You should still be able to put 2 and 2 together though.  C'mon.

Well I don't so help me out. Why  is that so difficult

Tater tot!  93-94 was magical until it wasn’t.  Was it Bobo or Zier that messed that up?  Those 94-97 LSU games were doozies.  Was Terry at Samford before Auburn?  Can you imagine if Auburn hired Samford’s  coach this last go round?  People would have crapped their pants.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If you want to honor a particular team for something they accomplished and invite that coach is a good option.   I don’t see the need to honor or memorialize every coach just because of one particular season.   Bowden took CPD players and won 20 straight games.    After that it went off the rails.   Tubby was almost run out of town for doing exactly what Gus did, and then had a once in a decade team and won every game.   Followed all of that up with a losing season.    Chiz got Auburn a National championship and then proceeded to have one of the worst teams in AU history.   Gus took Auburn to a national championship game in his 1st year.   Then proceeded to lose 4-5 games every year but one.   Why the love for all these coaches?   The served at Auburn and were paid handsomely.   Some paid even more to not even coach.   

Like I said, if we are canceling out someone's achievements because they finished their sports career on a low note, then the likes of Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Mike Ditka, Pat Dye, and 90% of pro athletes don't deserve to be honored. 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Tater tot!  93-94 was magical until it wasn’t.  Was it Bobo or Zier that messed that up?  Those 94-97 LSU games were doozies.  Was Terry at Samford before Auburn?  Can you imagine if Auburn hired Samford’s  coach this last go round?  People would have crapped their pants.

Arkansas State, losing ass Iowa State, Ole Miss, Samford, Wyoming...

And folks wanted to whine about us hiring a guy who did very well at Boise State for many years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Like I said, if we are canceling out someone's achievements because they finished their sports career on a low note, then the likes of Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Mike Ditka, Pat Dye, and 90% of pro athletes don't deserve to be honored. 

Come on man….you can’t seriously compare Auburn’s has been coaches (Tubs, chiz, Gus and baby Bowden) to those coaches.   You just jump the shark!

20 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Come on man….you can’t seriously compare Auburn’s has been coaches (Tubs, chiz, Gus and baby Bowden) to those coaches.   You just jump the shark!

I’m not ever going to call Chiz and Gus has been coaches with 2 NCs/1 win even if they couldn’t sustain their success. And I won’t on Tubs either bc he was robbed getting to play for a NC. 

no they don’t have the longevity or the program changing impact but I’m not going to include them as has beens. 

Terry B….yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I’m not ever going to call Chiz and Gus has been coaches with 2 NCs/1 win even if they couldn’t sustain their success. And I won’t on Tubs either bc he was robbed getting to play for a NC. 

no they don’t have the longevity or the program changing impact but I’m not going to include them as has beens. 

Terry B….yes. 

According to your logic, why not Tater Tot?  He was robbed also.   I said has been because they are no longer coaching.   I’ve said all along that they should be invited to whatever team recognition that the Auburn Athletic department deems appropriate.   But no statue or field naming needs to be bestowed on any of them 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Tater tot!  93-94 was magical until it wasn’t.  Was it Bobo or Zier that messed that up?

It was Zeier. I was there. Pat Nix couldn't complete a sideline route to save his life on that final drive. (At least that was my perception at the time. I have no intention of ever going back and watching it)

Bobo was responsible for the '97 4 OT loss to UGA. 

19 hours ago, aubaseball said:

According to your logic, why not Tater Tot?  He was robbed also.   I said has been because they are no longer coaching.   I’ve said all along that they should be invited to whatever team recognition that the Auburn Athletic department deems appropriate.   But no statue or field naming needs to be bestowed on any of them 

No you haven't. 

32 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No you haven't. 

Go back and look at what I’ve said.   My first response of nope was to you wanting to hang banners or renaming the stadium for this group 

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Go back and look at what I’ve said.   My first response of nope was to you wanting to hang banners or renaming the stadium for this group 

You're so strange. Where did I say anything about renaming the stadium or hanging banners. Just don't lie.