McShay has Malik Willis picked to go #17 in draft

Eagle Eye 7

1 hour ago, USATiger said:

Willis is to be given a lot of credit.  Once Auburn signed him to play QB, the dude worked tirelessly to improve his skills.  If he'd been given a glimmer of hope that he could earn the QB spot, he would've stayed.  There was no hope for anyone not named Nix once Bo got to campus.  I'm happy for Malik, never expected to see his name mentioned in the top rounds of the NfL draft, goes to show you what hard work, perseverance and a dream will get you.

Facts...

2 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

In fairness, he was a skinny raw QB when he was here.  IDT he goes to any SEC program and develops to where he is today.  Perfect storm for he and Freeze. 

I remember Stan White saying he was the best QB on the team, skinny or not

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What it tell you as well watch what posters you choose to dub as your go to know it all......I had quite a few "debates" being told how Malik should change positions.

People are quick to say certain guys shouldn't play QB for whatever reasons.

I distinctly remember Stan White saying that Malik Willis looked liked the best QB on the roster....  that's an opinion I think any Auburn fan would respect, but the internet is a weird place.

2 minutes ago, agent_jack said:

I distinctly remember Stan White saying that Malik Willis looked liked the best QB on the roster....  that's an opinion I think any Auburn fan would respect, but the internet is a weird place.

Some people on here was saying move him to wr and move him to safety......just crazy stuff

47 minutes ago, fishepa said:

A shame when going to Liberty defines your football career more than going to Auburn.

Ain't that the truth. I'll be honest though, watching him play for us, I didn't think he should be a starter.

I've since scrubbed any notion of trying to determine a players skill at the quarterback under our previous staff. 

Thank goodness those days are gone.

• Like 1

I really believe so many AU fans need to take a bottle's worth of Gus Blow and just blow Gus's 8 years out our a$$es. Just one violent treatment on the metaphorical toilet of fandom and just purge all that nasty stuff out so we can move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I really believe so many AU fans need to take a bottle's worth of Gus Blow and just blow Gus's 8 years out our a$$es. Just one violent treatment on the metaphorical toilet of fandom and just purge all that nasty stuff out so we can move on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m not sure Harsin is developing anyone either . I like to think back to days when Pat Dye could take a 2 star and make him an all SEC . Even Tubby could develop players, the last 3 coaches at AU just never showed me they have that ability. We complain about Saben getting all the talent but the truth is he develops that talent as well. His 3 stars become all Americans. If folks at AU think that all we need is about 20 5 stars to sign then I can assure you it won’t be in your life time. 

Development comes in all forms, and is only successful if the protege is open to learning, being criticised and working on the things they need to get better.  As I mentioned, I don't put the blame on Bo for any of this.  Being 'the man' and coddled is what he knows.  Doesn't take criticism well, which is never good for a position that is looked to as the leader of the team.  Harsin is akin to an NFL coach in that he believes its business and wants you to just do your damn job.  Harsin did more to develop Bo as a leader, someone the guys admired and looked at for guidance in difficult times, then any coach before.  There were a lot of clashes between the two, so the transfer wasn't unexpected.  

There is no doubt Bo was getting the instruction he needed to finally develop his potential, so that is all we can ask from Harsin right now.  No way to say for sure if Harson is truly "developing" any of the guys, only time will tell.   But as the saying goes about the old dog, new tricks, Harsin inherited a room full of old dogs, and Bo was the oldest.  Really tough to go from little criticism to having everything critique.  That is part of the job for QB's they are seen as leaders of football teams due to their importance, winning teams need their QB to act like one, to set the example, on the field, in the classroom, in the grocery store.  Everywhere folks are looking to see how you react.  Must've been a complete shock to Bo, certainly something he didn't take well.  Should a coach be held accountable for not "developing" folks resisting being developed.  I don't think so.  Harsin at least recognizes that, which is why the portal was loaded with Auburn players in the Spring.  Harsin ain't fooling with old dogs.  

Which is one of my criticisms of Harsin we don't have the depth of quality talent to run off every old dog.  Not unless you are filling your class with guys who can play early, especially, linemen.   That hasn't been happening, but yesterday was a step in the right direction.  But without 4-5 true OT's coming, high school or transfers, we are in for a long, long year. 

Honestly, during the Georgia state game and the post presser it appeared as though Harsin was borderline near tears over having to bench Bo. For some reason it was obvious that he really really did not want to do that. I don't buy the narrative that he is making them earn a spot, to some extent I'm sure he is but it also felt to me like Bo pretty much was set up to be #1 no matter what so I'm more inclined to believe he wanted to keep pat and Bo both happy but I understand that's a minority opinion. 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

A shame when going to Liberty defines your football career more than going to Auburn.

Randy Moss wound up at Marshall after flaming out at Notre Dame and FSU. Steve McNair turned down a scholarship from Florida to go to Alcorn State. It's a shame for Auburn that he never panned out while he was here but I doubt any player would trade being a first round draft pick for a more recognizable logo on their college helmet. 

6 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Honestly, during the Georgia state game and the post presser it appeared as though Harsin was borderline near tears over having to bench Bo. For some reason it was obvious that he really really did not want to do that. I don't buy the narrative that he is making them earn a spot, I'm more inclined to believe he wanted to keep pat and Bo both happy but I understand that's a minority opinion. 

Kristi, you need to move on.  Just keep things to yourself and hope that things work out in Orlando 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Randy Moss wound up at Marshall after flaming out at Notre Dame and FSU. Steve McNair turned down a scholarship from Florida to go to Alcorn State. It's a shame for Auburn that he never panned out while he was here but I doubt any player would trade being a first round draft pick for a more recognizable logo on their college helmet. 

Flaming out? That's a bit of a stretch

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Maybe Bo should transfer to Liberty.  🤷‍♂️

I think hat has already been suggested by someone. If that happened and Bo became a first round draft pick, some of these great football minds on this board would explode.

33 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Nah he caused me way more pain, then I ever caused him.  It's my way of passive-aggressively getting revenge.  

Seriously, can you tell someone about the world today without mentioning the past?  That's where we are, searching for answers, none of which matter, but we are on a forum and that's what we do.  I emailed Gus multiple times, not just about recruits, either.  If he had read them, I wouldn't post on a forum my disdain.

20 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Honestly, during the Georgia state game and the post presser it appeared as though Harsin was borderline near tears over having to bench Bo. For some reason it was obvious that he really really did not want to do that. I don't buy the narrative that he is making them earn a spot, to some extent I'm sure he is but it also felt to me like Bo pretty much was set up to be #1 no matter what so I'm more inclined to believe he wanted to keep pat and Bo both happy but I understand that's a minority opinion. 

It's called tears of frustration.

2 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Do you have custom tweezers for your nitpicking or do you use regular ole store bought ones? 

Moss never played a down at ND so, saying he flamed out is more than just a stretch

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Kristi, you need to move on.  Just keep things to yourself and hope that things work out in Orlando 

To be fair, if it were Kristi, we wouldn't have a clue as most of it would be incomprehensible.  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Felt like something more than that. Perhaps he knew it would divide the locker room or fan base or let a lot of folks down. 

It was.  Harsin was thinking.. "what do I do next week? starting TJ would help the locker room tremendously, but doesn't give the team much of a chance of winning.  At that point, anyway.  Or maybe that's when it occurred to him he wasn't going to "develop" Nix, ever.

4 minutes ago, selias said:

Moss never played a down at ND so, saying he flamed out is more than just a stretch

......He wasn't allowed to enroll because he was on probation for a HS fight. He was dismissed from Florida State for violating said probation. Given that my statement about him was more to illustrate that going from a big school to a small one is not an impediment to eventual NFL success, was it really necessary to quibble with my exact word choice? I've heard of missing the forest for the trees but this is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

......He wasn't allowed to enroll because he was on probation for a HS fight. He was dismissed from Florida State for violating said probation. Given that my statement about him was more to illustrate that going from a big school to a small one is not an impediment to eventual NFL success, was it really necessary to quibble with my exact word choice? I've heard of missing the forest for the trees but this is ridiculous. 

Honestly, yeah, when you say he flamed out it sounds like it was some over the top thing. When reality doesn't bear that out

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, selias said:

Honestly, yeah, when you say he flamed out it sounds like it was some over the top thing. When reality doesn't bear that out

.....you're the sort of person who would argue that a book is terrible because the font is the wrong size, aren't you? Also, considering his FSU probation violation was for marijuana use, I would argue that "flamed out" is a more than appropriate word choice. 

Edited by AUAlumnTN