Mason rumored as a top candidate for A&M DC job

japantiger

Most figured this would only be a one-year stop for Mason. He could probably go be a HC at a smaller school or a DC at a big time school with lots of money, better recruiting and an established HC.  It would suck for us to be looking for yet another coordinator, but I can't say I'd blame him. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Most figured this would only be a one-year stop for Mason. He could probably go be a HC at a smaller school or a DC at a big time school with lots of money, better recruiting and an established HC.  It would suck for us to be looking for yet another coordinator, but I can't say I'd blame him. 

I think if he leaves Harsin will promote Schmedding or Watts rather than hire an outside DC.

19 minutes ago, japantiger said:

From the A&M boards this morning...more $$ and a better D roster with a #1 class coming in.

Just from the board...kind of like all of the candidates that we dream up here? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed

Bad timing. Ted Roof just got hired elsewhere 😂

I am 100% indifferent on Mason at this point. He did plenty this year to get fired but he also did plenty to save his job.  The bama game was an anomaly. The players played above their heads on that one. The rest of the season was very meh

This would be hilarious to watch everybody complain as we watch his defenses dominate. It would cause a direct look in the mirror as to why we are constantly in these crappy situations

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I am 100% indifferent on Mason at this point. He did plenty this year to get fired but he also did plenty to save his job.  The bama game was an anomaly. The players played above their heads on that one. The rest of the season was very meh

Hard disagree on the Bama game being an anomaly.   He was calling fronts, coverage and mixtures of zone and man that were the type of exotic stuff you'd see on Sundays.  BYoung had no idea who was rushing or dropping into coverage.  Sure, the players executed but he called a great game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This would be hilarious to watch everybody complain as we watch his defenses dominate. It would cause a direct look in the mirror as to why we are constantly in these crappy situations

Agree, I really hope we keep him because unlike most of this board I truly believe his scheme was one of the bright spots of this season.  Just wait till he gets his guys in and has the full defense installed.  It was clear to me that he didn't have his more exotic fronts installed at a level he felt comfortable calling them until the Iron Bowl.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I think if he leaves Harsin will promote Schmedding or Watts rather than hire an outside DC.

Just like he'd immediately promote Coach Key

10 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Defense was a big part of the Arkansas and Ole Miss wins and the only reason we were even in the A&M, bama, or USCe games. We could have been better against PSU and UGA and MSU were atrocious but considering he was trying to put in a new defensive scheme I think he did decent for most of the year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nurbis said:

Defense was a big part of the Arkansas and Ole Miss wins and the only reason we were even in the A&M, bama, or USCe games. We could have been better against PSU and UGA and MSU were atrocious but considering he was trying to put in a new defensive scheme I think he did decent for most of the year. 

I still put the 2nd half of MSU partly on the offense.  You can't have the defense on the field for almost the entire 3rd quarter against Leach and not have them gassed by the 4th.

• Like 2

I hate bend don’t break, but I hate the idea we’re something less than a parallel move to a team like A&M.

Those who have always wanted Auburn to be that perpetual underdog who gets a big win or two a decade may be getting their wish.

• Like 3

Oh well, but understandable. They got the money and a great defensive roster. Schmedding will get ridiculed and Harsin will get criticized for Boise gang. There were rumors that Jeff was going to take on a bigger role in the IB game plan before the game. He is a good football mind and will be our DC sooner or later

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Meh. I think we can do better than Mason, but I wouldn’t hate him being retained either. His defense was very hot and cold this year, and wayyyy to much bend don’t break. If A&M wants to open up the bank to buy him out, go for it.

• Like 4

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, au302 said:

There were rumors that Jeff was going to take on a bigger role in the IB game plan before the game.

Well if that really happened then we can potentially assume what caused the D to look so different in that game, because it was entirely different gameplan than we had seen the entire year. And a million times more effective 

Guest MustardSeed
20 minutes ago, Didba said:

Hard disagree on the Bama game being an anomaly.   He was calling fronts, coverage and mixtures of zone and man that were the type of exotic stuff you'd see on Sundays.  BYoung had no idea who was rushing or dropping into coverage.  Sure, the players executed but he called a great game.

Considering he never had a game calling plays anywhere remotely close to that the rest of the season, and considering the MSU debacle and USCe coaches literally calling him out for making it too easy…. I’d definitely call that an anomaly. Whether it was a sign of things to come or something else I have no idea. 

Is this all schools or is it just us where the coach when he's successful it's always the assistants that really should get the credit?