Florida losing players

LPTiger

Are you hearing about UF?   Multiple decommits.  WR1 transferring.  Napier saying he would not be surprised if they did not sign anyone next week.   LSU loses their top recruiter to UF and then do not retain their legendary RB coach.  They have 1 scholarship QB on the roster, and if he plays in their bowl game he loses his redshirt year.   Crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Coaching change does create chaos with the players. I remember my friends who are Tennessee fans freaking out this time last year over whether or not they would have enough to field a roster during the mass exodus post-Pruitt. Then they went 7-5 and are headed to a bowl so it often gets better than it looks initially. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Are you hearing about UF?   Multiple decommits.  WR1 transferring.  Napier saying he would not be surprised if they did not sign anyone next week.   LSU loses their top recruiter to UF and then do not retain their legendary RB coach.  They have 1 scholarship QB on the roster, and if he plays in their bowl game he loses his redshirt year.   Crazy.  

This is the new college ball. Very little loyalty. Honestly, I could care less what happens at FL and LSU, as we suffered through it last year. In my opinion, B Kelly is in for a rude awakening! He may be missing South Bend around June in Baton Rouge. Good coach, but he doesn’t worry my as much as Saban or Kiffin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

LSU: + Boutte portal-bound soon according to LSU fans

I've been underwhelmed with Gainesville every time I've been, so if I were mainly going there for the coach, I'd get the heck out too.

I think sometimes we forget just how spoiled we are with (not so) little (anymore) old Auburn. 

31 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I've been underwhelmed with Gainesville every time I've been, so if I were mainly going there for the coach, I'd get the heck out too.

I think sometimes we forget just how spoiled we are with (not so) little (anymore) old Auburn. 

I have been wondering about Gainesville. What's the appeal? - and why is Florida able to sign so many great (out-of-state) and even international athletes? I do understand when FL and GA athletes are interested in Florida but why do athletes from California and all over the world sign with the Gators? Their facilities are ok but not the greatest in the world. I know they do have some pretty good coaches, this is the only explanation and Florida is pretty decently ranked academically.... or maybe it is Gainesville? lol

Florida Football, Baseball, and Basketball have a lot of history

Swimming: The 2023 #1 national recruit and Olympic silver medalist just committed to Florida (Bella Sims, Nevada) + a very talented swimmer from New Zealand and a bunch of highly ranked national swimmers are currently committed. Katie Ledecky now lives in Gainesville and joined the Gator staff a few months ago. 

Gymnastics: The Gators have an All-star team this year (several World Champions & Olympians, tons of 5-star recruits. Olympians fighting for line-up spots). 

We always talk about facilities, recruiting budgets, location, etc but having an excellent coaching staff is probably still the top difference maker.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 3

Gainesville is the hottest, muggiest place on earth.  I don't understand the appeal of any town/city in between Perry, FL and Orlando.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I have been too. It's one of the few sec schools that doesn't quite have that sec charm as much as some others the more that I think about it. I haven't been to all sec univ cities but one l was surprised to have liked as much as I did was Fayetteville, Arkansas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coaching change does create chaos with the players. I remember my friends who are Tennessee fans freaking out this time last year over whether or not they would have enough to field a roster during the mass exodus post-Pruitt. Then they went 7-5 and are headed to a bowl so it often gets better than it looks initially. 

Maybe so, but everyone knows the SEC East is so weak compared to the West. Any first year coach can look great playing in that division. I do think Heupel did a good job this year though. 

59 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Maybe so, but everyone knows the SEC East is so weak compared to the West. Any first year coach can look great playing in that division. I do think Heupel did a good job this year though. 

He did a hell of a job with only 60-something scholarship players 

• Like 3

Florida probably needs to Purge Mullins Players.  Start from scratch the way Florida state had to purge Jimbos recruits and rebuild.

5 hours ago, AUreo said:

I have been wondering about Gainesville. What's the appeal? - and why is Florida able to sign so many great (out-of-state) and even international athletes? I do understand when FL and GA athletes are interested in Florida but why do athletes from California and all over the world sign with the Gators? Their facilities are ok but not the greatest in the world. I know they do have some pretty good coaches, this is the only explanation and Florida is pretty decently ranked academically.... or maybe it is Gainesville? lol

Florida Football, Baseball, and Basketball have a lot of history

Swimming: The 2023 #1 national recruit and Olympic silver medalist just committed to Florida (Bella Sims, Nevada) + a very talented swimmer from New Zealand and a bunch of highly ranked national swimmers are currently committed. Katie Ledecky now lives in Gainesville and joined the Gator staff a few months ago. 

Gymnastics: The Gators have an All-star team this year (several World Champions & Olympians, tons of 5-star recruits. Olympians fighting for line-up spots). 

We always talk about facilities, recruiting budgets, location, etc but having an excellent coaching staff is probably still the top difference maker.

Place is a dump, and their stadium…. There are high school football stadiums nicer (of course not as big) but nicer than the swamp.

• Like 1

Well they both just went through sustained periods of ****ery as I like to call it. This is what happens when you string out a lame duck situation. I don't know what both programs should've done differently, but because of:

1. UF keeping Mullen as long as they did, not hiring a big name, and the previous coach during virtually nothing in terms of setting a foundation, things were gonna fall apart quickly 

2. Those guys came for Orgeron, and I honestly feel like there's gonna be more that dip after feeling out Kelly's "vibe". Dude is just so radically different as a human being, and after watching his apathetic send off video to the guys that actually came for HIM...I doubt he seems genuine to anyone. And LSU was just overall an atrocity of a culture being held together by Orgeron's charisma. Stingley was hurt even before we played, and I don't think he came back. Ricks shut it down by mid-October iirc. Barely having enough players to practice. You saw what Chase did last year. This has been a train wreck that lost multiple parts along the way before ultimately exploding

I think those two are very special cases, all things considered 

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Not that big of a gap this season, plus UT played the two best teams in the West and played right with them for about 3 quarters (probably should've beat OM). You can stack the divisions up pretty favorably top to bottom

11 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

10 hours ago, AUreo said:

I have been wondering about Gainesville. What's the appeal?

10 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Gainesville is the hottest, muggiest place on earth.  I don't understand the appeal of any town/city in between Perry, FL and Orlando.

Guys its pretty easy to see what the appeal been to G'ville. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

1. UF keeping Mullen as long as they did, not hiring a big name, and the previous coach during virtually nothing in terms of setting a foundation, things were gonna fall apart quickly 

he was only there for 3 and a half years w the first two years going 11-2 and then 10-3.. won both bowl games.. did they keep him in there to long? obviously recruiting fell off this year and the writing was on the wall but it wasnt to long imo.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

he was only there for 3 and a half years w the first two years going 11-2 and then 10-3.. won both bowl games.. did they keep him in there to long? obviously recruiting fell off this year and the writing was on the wall but it wasnt to long imo.

I think the best way to describe the whole situation is he was winning in spite of what was driving the boosters/athletic department mad. 

He's a great play-caller, played in a weak division, and had some good recruiting handed over to him. 

Once crap hit the fan and recruiting wasn't there, plus him making the idiotic statement about recruiting, it was easy to move on. 

• Like 1