3 Auburn Players All SEC team

Randman5000

Auburn didn't finish its 2021 regular season the way it had hoped, but that doesn't mean there weren't standout performers on the Tigers' 2021 squad — particularly on defense.

On the SEC's all-conference teams, announced Tuesday afternoon, three members of Auburn's defense were selected: cornerback Roger McCreary (first team), edge rusher Derick Hall (second team) and linebacker Zakoby McClain (second team).

A former three-star recruit, McCreary has played his way into a first-round draft projection this season after he decided to return for his senior year. Per Pro Football Focus, he has the second-highest coverage grade in the Power Five, and he leads the SEC in pass breakups with 14. 

In the Iron Bowl, McCreary had a career-high four pass breakups, as the Tigers held Alabama to only 10 points in regulation. He's Auburn first cornerback to be named first team All-SEC since Carlton Davis in 2017.

Another top performer from the Iron Bowl, Hall, a junior, had a career-high three sacks against the Crimson Tide to bring his total to nine on the season. That number is third in the SEC behind Alabama's Will Anderson and Ole Miss' Sam Williams — both of whom were first team All-SEC picks Tuesday and could both be All-Americans.

McClain is leading Auburn in tackles (100) for the second straight year, and if he plays in Auburn's bowl game against Houston, he's likely to become only the seventh player in Auburn history to post 100 or more tackles in consecutive seasons. McClain also has eight tackles for loss and six pass breakups on the year.

Alabama led the way with six players on the two All-SEC teams, followed by Georgia with five. Auburn is one of 10 programs with at least three selections.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Z being 2nd team is a travesty

Yep.  He has 35 more tackles than UGA's Nakobe Dean yet Dean gets 1st team.  I guess it all comes down to stats...  until it doesn't.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Completely agree. Alabama and Georgia players get way too much notoriety with these awards. 

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you feel like he would do better as a safety in the NFL or stay at linebacker?

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you feel like he would do better as a safety in the NFL or stay at linebacker?

100% Linebacker

• Thanks 1

I know that McCreary hasn't been disrespected like some very good AU DBs in the past, but he has been sooooooo slept on by most of the fan base relative to just how damned good he is. I'm as guilty as anyone. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Yep.  He has 35 more tackles than UGA's Nakobe Dean yet Dean gets 1st team.  I guess it all comes down to stats...  until it doesn't.

1st round draft pick or a guy who goes 4-6

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

1st round draft pick or a guy who goes 4-6

I’m not much of a draft or even NFL guy but I’m guessing 4 - 6th round due to non-ideal size.

Edited by SRBautigerfan

4 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I’m not much of a draft or even NFL guy but I’m guessing 4 - 6th round due to non-ideal size.

Probably. 

He's a good SEC LB vs an NFL talent 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Probably. 

He's a good SEC LB vs an NFL talent 

I think late 2nd to mid 3rd. Probably more of a nickle backer than a traditional LB, but I'd never put it past him.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, SRBautigerfan said:

Honestly, I would argue Dean has an easier path than Z as well. He has a better all around supporting cast especially on that DL. #99 requires double teams on every single play he is out there. I think Rabbit had to take on more blocks in his route to 100 tackles.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, McLoofus said:

I know that McCreary hasn't been disrespected like some very good AU DBs in the past, but he has been sooooooo slept on by most of the fan base relative to just how damned good he is. I'm as guilty as anyone. 

I think he also has the disadvantage of raised expectations. Before the Davises and Deans, CBs were expected to be rotational/special team players at best here on the next level

• Like 1