NIL

TigerHorn

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I just want us to be proactive instead of reactive for once.

So would letting Bobo go be considered proactive or reactive?

Edited by Hank2020
Spelling

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Well it sure would change the music world, that is for sure. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Well it sure would change the music world, that is for sure. 

Thx for the heads up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wcware said:

I watched the Locked on Auburn podcast this morning and they had a meeting with the Auburn NIL team yesterday. I feel much better. Watch the podcast 

I think they should also add Swimming and Gymnastics (that’s where moderate amount of $ can have a real impact. Football requires millions of dollars just to be somewhat competitive) - UVA and NC State Swimming managed to sign each several Olympians partially because of their NIL systems. High school kids competing at the Tokyo Olympics now swimming in college = bunch of gold medals & massive PR in just a few years from now.

Edited by AUreo

4 minutes ago, AUreo said:

I think they should also add Swimming and Gymnastics (that’s were moderate amount of $ can have a real impact. Football requires millions of dollars just to be somewhat competitive) - UVA and NC State Swimming managed to sign each several Olympians partially because of their NIL systems. High school kids competing at the Tokyo Olympics now swimming in college = bunch of gold medals & massive PR in just a few years from now.

It includes all Auburn athletes I think. My understanding was they had everyone all on board except for all of football due to their being so many athletes.

Edited by wcware

4 minutes ago, AUreo said:

I think they should also add Swimming and Gymnastics (that’s were moderate amount of $ can have a real impact. Football requires millions of dollars just to be somewhat competitive) - UVA and NC State Swimming managed to sign each several Olympians partially because of their NIL systems. High school kids competing at the Olympics now swimming in college = bunch of gold medals & massive PR in just a few years from now.

To your point, Suni Lee has probably given Auburn more publicity than any athlete since Cam Newton, and more positive publicity than any athlete since I don't know when.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To your point, Suni Lee has probably given Auburn more publicity than any athlete since Cam Newton, and more positive publicity than any athlete since I don't know when.

That’s my point. Football and Basketball represent the foundation of course but Olympic sports can reach new markets and generate additional PR at lower cost (these athletes can reach women, urban, even global fans). Olympic athletes can also be superstars (Suni, Natalie Coughlin at Cal, Katie Ledecky at Stanford, Michelle Kwan at UCLA, etc)… international athletes as well.

IG followers:

Alabama Crimson Tide FB - 1M

Suni Lee - 1.5M

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, wcware said:

It includes all Auburn athletes I think. My understanding was they had everyone all on board except for all of football due to their being so many athletes.

They only mentioned Football, Basketball, and Baseball though.

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Seems to depend on the effort/task at hand, if you ask me. We get on board when we need to.

IMHO, this needs to change to full support ALL OF THE TIME.

But we always seems to get on board much later than other programs.  i.e. Finally building football only facility, many years after our main rivals already had theirs.  

45 minutes ago, AUreo said:

They only mentioned Football, Basketball, and Baseball though.

I would be lying if I told you I know anymore than you. I was under the impression you would be able to choose any athlete to “subscribe” to. 

I have a slightly different take on the NIL. I have seen many people saying it will just allow the rich to get richer and I agree with that to a point. The schools that have the resources and the Alumni to fund an NIL will get richer but some schools like Auburn have the potential to compete equally with programs like bama (whether we do it is a different question). As a consistent top 20 or better program there is little doubt in my mind that we are not perfectly clean in how we recruit. I doubt that any program is even those outside of the top 20 are.  Where I think we have been at a dis-advantage is how much more scrutiny we get then some programs like bama where football players from limited income backgrounds have many expensive suits and nice automobiles.  They have been gaming the system in a fairly open manner with no fear of enforcement. Most schools have had to limit what they do because NCAA does enforce against some programs.

With it now being more open it levels the playing field as far as NCAA enforcement. It gives us and other similar programs the ability to compete on a more equal footing based on no more fear of enforcement but we still have to find enough money men to match the incentives.  Before we had to match the incentives but often couldn't because of the enforcement arm of the NCAA.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1