Brent Venables on why he passed on the AU job...

Tiger

6 hours ago, shabby said:

Why? What evidence do you have of this? Sure seems he was able to fire Bobo and now seems set to be hiring the person he wants as coordinator. Why would this suddenly change if what your saying is correct? This argument that Harsin was forced to hire (insert name here) is just an excuse used by those wanting to defend Harsin's performance without any actual evidence of it being accurate. 

Your post makes a presumption that I asserted that they did force a candidate, when, if you actually read the post, I didn’t. I desired an answer to the ongoing discussion on whether or not it happened. 
As to the rest of it, you’d have to have clearly missed out on the previous search to have truthfully asked that question. Why did Auburn go from seeking coaches that were regionally close, very safe, or “Auburn men” to opening things up and ending up with Harsin? Their process didn’t work (for one reason or another). Just because they had a stance at one point doesn’t mean it’s set in stone, I’d think that’s a pretty simple concept, no?

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yes, now, that’s obvious 

Talking about during the hiring process  

You’re correct that Both could true.

I just think that it makes more sense to me to think that he’s had control since the hiring process started. Sort of a “it’s my mess I’ll clean it up” deal.

I feel I know.why Venables didn't want the Auburn job. Did not want to deal with Auburn's talent shortage and have to deal Saban, Kirby and the rest of the deadly minefield known as the sec west. JMO.

17 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I feel I know.why Venables didn't want the Auburn job. Did not want to deal with Auburn's talent shortage and have to deal Saban, Kirby and the rest of the deadly minefield known as the sec west. JMO.

It's just a matter of time before OU is in the SEC. It wouldn't surprise me to see the two Alabama teams slide east while OU and Texas head into the SECw.

Edited by murpjf88

6 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Then even worse.  Totally unnecessary to mention Auburn at all.

I was thinking the same. That was his opening press conference, getting the head-coaching job at Oklahoma and he decides to openly discuss why he turned down the Auburn job the previous season? I thought to myself, who does that???

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

From al.com article:

"In referencing “alignment,” Venables’ apparent apprehensions about the Auburn job had to do with the power structure behind the scenes — from the university’s board of trustees to its president, to the athletics director."

OU is as in-bred as any program in the country.  In fact, both Venables and OU want a plug and play HC....

A key element, per a source with knowledge of the situation, remains how any of the candidates will fill out his coaching staff. Half of Riley's staff are former Sooners who would presumably be set to return had their boss not bolted for Los Angeles. 

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

I think he meant that all the pieces he would want to be in place were not... i.e. the stars were not aligned. Or he was talking about poorly stacked sandwiches at Mama Goldberg's.

8 hours ago, tomcat said:

IMHO alignment would mean: total understanding and agreement on the mission, philosophy, and strategy of a successful program. Think Alabama and Saban…in this case Saban essentially sets the agenda. I’m sure there is discussion and disagreement, but Saban usually gets what he wants and no negatives spill into public view. Auburn has a long checkered history of booster, PTB meddling on who’s hired, who plays, what facilities get approved, taking a bus instead of flying, etc. In other words there is a lack of alignment from the President to the AD to the administration overseeing the football program. The head coach is ham strung trying to implement his program because of the lack of commitment in what he is doing. Thus you get JABA.

Just to clarify, Saban does not have a boss. It isn't just money. Mal Moore handed Saban blank sheets of paper, and said fill it out. This is not from an Auburn perspective, Mal admitted it. Saban was on the cover of freaking Forbes magazine because of this contract. I'm sure he could be persuaded to leave, but technically, there is no one at uat that can fire him. No university at the time had  ever agreed to such a contract, and I'm not sure they will again. Bammer may have  struck gold, but I don't know anyone else that has the luck or the stones to do such. And I don't blame them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

No university at the time had  ever agreed to such a contract, and I'm not sure they will again. Bammer may have  struck gold, but I don't know anyone else that has the luck or the stones to do such. And I don't blame them. 

That is because bama does what it takes to win. Even being humble enough to get out of the way. I can't say that I get that feeling with Auburn. Auburn is what makes Auburn fail. Not bama or UGA. 

7 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

That is because bama does what it takes to win. Even being humble enough to get out of the way. I can't say that I get that feeling with Auburn. Auburn is what makes Auburn fail. Not bama or UGA. 

Since Saban, how many coaches are getting paid multi millions not to coach? Because they couldn't do what he did? How many? How many have had his success? They (uat) got freaking unbelievably lucky and got the GOAT. With lots of help from the Red Elephants. Who are you gonna make boss of your athletic program if you can't get Saban? The same contract, no boss. Name him. I personally couldn't do it. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

57 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I was thinking the same. That was his opening press conference, getting the head-coaching job at Oklahoma and he decides to openly discuss why he turned down the Auburn job the previous season? I thought to myself, who does that???

Was he asked about it. Still could have handled it better. Just makes them enemy number 3 or 4.

10 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I think Harsin had 100% control of his staff.  He's a straight forward coach with a driven personality and he'd never allow others to treat him as a highly paid puppet. 

Mrs Harsin? Is that you?

I kid. I kid. 
taking a break now from the board for bball season. Everyone knows how i feel. Wde everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Vertical alignment, HC, AD, Pres, BOT, PTB all with a singular focus, all pulling in the same direction.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Then even worse.  Totally unnecessary to mention Auburn at all.

He did us a solid IMO. Hopefully it resonates with people who need to back off

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

From al.com article:

"In referencing “alignment,” Venables’ apparent apprehensions about the Auburn job had to do with the power structure behind the scenes — from the university’s board of trustees to its president, to the athletics director."

Not evidence

I read the comment as Venables was looking for the perfect situation and that really doesn't exist and his daughter said you gotta take chances.  he was looking for all the stars to align.

• Like 1

What BV inferred is true. Why he chose that forum and moment to say it is just weird. But soon he won’t have time to have bedside career planning discussions with his daughter. He will be fighting for survival week to week in the SEC.

If you are trying to make it that he's not talking about our toxic infrastructure then you are out of your mind. It's hilarious how some of you fight for the yella fella and friends as if you all are employed by him. 

We are the team with the toughest schedule in the toughest conference that also make it tough on ourselves because people are so dumb set in tradition. 

Anything dealing with change we are ALWAYS behind and it shows

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Since Saban, how many coaches are getting paid multi millions not to coach? Because they couldn't do what he did? How many? How many have had his success? They (uat) got freaking unbelievably lucky and got the GOAT. With lots of help from the Red Elephants. Who are you gonna make boss of your athletic program if you can't get Saban? The same contract, no boss. Name him. I personally couldn't do it. 

Saban at the time was hardly a generational coach. He was a great recruiter that had won one championship and was about to be a NFL washout. He lost his greatest edge going to the NFL which is recruiting. 

Look at LSU and USCw. They swung for the fences and connected. It may work out and it may not but at least they are trying to do what it takes to win and I can see why they did it. Auburn can't hire Art Briles, Dan Mullen, Venables or anyone with a checkered past because God forbid that the media criticize Auburn for the hire. I don't even think Briles or Mullen would be a good hire but that isn't my point. Auburn swung for the fences with Bruce Pearl. Auburn hit a homerun with the hire. I can't fathom why Auburn refuses to do it in football. Putting egos before the welfare of the program. Undermining from the outset. 

Question: Would Brian Kelly leave Notre Dame for Auburn? Not a chance.

Question: Would Lincoln Riley leave Oklahoma for Auburn? Not a chance. 

Question: Would Brent Vanables leave the DC position at Clemson for Auburn? Nope.

Question: Would Gary Patterson have left TCU for Auburn? Nope x 2.

Question: Would Mario Cristobal leave Oregon for Auburn? Nope.

Whether you like or dislike any of the people involved in the questions is irrelevant. What is relevant are the answers. The answers are all the same and point to the problem. Failure by the power brokers of Auburn football to attract top level talented coaches. Either by incompetence or malice. Auburn has a reputation and the coaching world is small. People talk and while I don't know what is being said, it is undoubtedly negative toward the power brokers at Auburn. We all accept it or bury our heads in the sand and hope for the best. 

As for my answer. I don't have one. If you held my feet to the fire I'd say Luke Fickell. As for me. I'm going to support Bryan Harsin until he proves I shouldn't. I'm not thrilled with 6-6 and nobody should be. But he fits the criteria for the only thing I had to have this season. That is not being Malzahn. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I wish Auburn would issue a press release: We wish Coach Venables success at OU. While he is an excellent football coach, his history of extramarital affairs with boosters wives, throwing foreign objects at basketball players during games, etc. prevented Auburn from seriously considering him as a head coaching candidate in the past. We hope that Coach Venables has matured under Coach Swinney’s leadership to allow him to have a successful tenure at Oklahoma…except if/when they play Auburn. War Eagle.

hide-yo-kids-jordan-jay.gif.42ff037bab597a3dec28b00336b327f9.gif

• Haha 1