Brent Venables on why he passed on the AU job...

Tiger

14 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I just can't see ANYTHING other than speaking about the conference alignment.  

Just go somewhere that its easy peasy and get your check

Since Oklahoma is joining the SEC, I doubt conference alignment is what he was talking about.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Since Oklahoma is joining the SEC, I doubt conference alignment is what he was talking about.

Maybe, but ask yourself will OK get the same schedule that Auburn plays yearly

Sure.  In a million years

Guys a good speaker, I'll give him that much.. 

He probably means the ability to step in and bring in coaches to be successful but that doesn't necessarily mean our big money backers and top brass were going to force that on him.. Could just mean it wasn't the right time for a lot of assistants he'd have liked to of targeted. Who knows. Would have loved to of had him at Au tho.

42 minutes ago, tomcat said:

IMHO alignment would mean: total understanding and agreement on the mission, philosophy, and strategy of a successful program. Think Alabama and Saban…in this case Saban essentially sets the agenda. I’m sure there is discussion and disagreement, but Saban usually gets what he wants and no negatives spill into public view. Auburn has a long checkered history of booster, PTB meddling on who’s hired, who plays, what facilities get approved, taking a bus instead of flying, etc. In other words there is a lack of alignment from the President to the AD to the administration overseeing the football program. The head coach is ham strung trying to implement his program because of the lack of commitment in what he is doing. Thus you get JABA.

Or it could be as simple as AU had and still has a lame duck president, and the new guy will likely replace the AD, who himself is looking around. 

Every poster who moans and whines about "PTB meddling" inevitably posts within a few hours whining and moaning "Our PTB don't put enough $ into NIL/facilities/coaches/fill in the blank". Remember the real world version of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. 

When are you people going to realize that EVERY bigtime CFB school has PTB pulling the strings and NIL just completely blew away any remaining controls the universities had? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

The fact Au is in the same state with Bama and has to recruit against # 1 State school every year.. OU is much easier job than Au.. it scares a lot of coaches away.. Harsin aint scared.. We have the right man for the job..

OU isn't that easy.  There's not a ton of talent in Oklahoma.  They have to recruit Texas hard to have any chance, and then they add in some guys from all over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Or it could be as simple as AU had and still has a lame duck president, and the new guy will likely replace the AD, who himself is looking around. 

Every poster who moans and whines about "PTB meddling" inevitably posts within a few hours whining and moaning "Our PTB don't put enough $ into NIL/facilities/coaches/fill in the blank". Remember the real world version of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. 

When are you people going to realize that EVERY bigtime CFB school has PTB pulling the strings and NIL just completely blew away any remaining controls the universities had? 

Agree to a degree…however, see “Jetgate” and Tuberville. Crazy shat there. Rivaled by the current Christobal to Miami situation. Also provide an example of this happening on Saban’s watch…

Edited by tomcat

I don’t think slignmemt has anything to do w our conference. No coach is going to admit that. 

my thinking is his reference to ‘alignment’ does have to do w administration AND if he did his homework about our situation he might have found out there were factions within the PTB including the group pulling for Steele to get it. 

I think he put all that together that Auburn wasn’t pulling in the same direction on their head coaching search and he didn’t want to get in the middle of that.  

57 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Maybe, but ask yourself will OK get the same schedule that Auburn plays yearly

Sure.  In a million years

Oklahoma will get whatever schedule (division alignment) that Little Nick sets for them. WDE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Why bring up Auburn at all?? Would have been easy to deflect and not answer.   I don’t care what the reasons are.   No need to diss another school.

Apparently starting his recruiting early. WDE

7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Why bring up Auburn at all?? Would have been easy to deflect and not answer.   I don’t care what the reasons are.   No need to diss another school.

He wasn't asked a question.  He brought Auburn up himself.

26 minutes ago, tomcat said:

To a degree…however, see “Jetgate” and Tuberville. Crazy shat there. Rivaled by the current Christobal to Miami situation. Also provide an example of this happening on Saban’s watch…

Not a valid challenge about Saban's watch, he never had a season like 2003 aside from the first one. Please refer back to "Price, Mike" and "Rodriguez, Rich" for examples of how things went sideways over there. The whole Shula debacle was the net result of a blown process. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don’t think slignmemt has anything to do w our conference. No coach is going to admit that. 

my thinking is his reference to ‘alignment’ does have to do w administration AND if he did his homework about our situation he might have found out there were factions within the PTB including the group pulling for Steele to get it. 

I think he put all that together that Auburn wasn’t pulling in the same direction on their head coaching search and he didn’t want to get in the middle of that.  

This makes the most sense to me.   When he says "we" didn't have alignment he's referring to himself as a candidate in both cases and he felt as though there would be a good portion of the PTB at AU who favored someone else.    If so and he feels OU is "aligned", good for them.   Either they really can reach a good consensus or at least they can put that face on the situation.    Probably a lesson to be learned here. 

23 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

He wasn't asked a question.  He brought Auburn up himself.

Well that's very strange to just bring up Auburn out of nowhere. 🤪

32 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

This . Who gives a s*** ????  idiot reporters . Why is this even news ? 

• Like 1

I think he was more than a little nervous about going head to head with saban every year too. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

OU isn't that easy.  There's not a ton of talent in Oklahoma.  They have to recruit Texas hard to have any chance, and then they add in some guys from all over.

People always just assume that we have it so bad despite the fact that our region is absolutely dripping with talent. According to 247, there are 96 4-5* recruits in the '22 class in GA, FL and AL alone. Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas combined have 61, with 51 of those coming from Texas. It's pretty remarkable what Oklahoma has been able to do. 

Unless we perfect teleportation, geography will always matter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

Not a valid challenge about Saban's watch, he never had a season like 2003 aside from the first one. Please refer back to "Price, Mike" and "Rodriguez, Rich" for examples of how things went sideways over there. The whole Shula debacle was the net result of a blown process. 

Excellent! During that period there was no alignment. Now there is, because Saban demands it. Harsin does not have the cachet to force that…yet. I hope he gains that. Regardless, Venables apparently sensed a level of dysfunction.