Auburn’s NIL Future

ToomersRevenge

What does everyone think Auburn can do in this new Cold War that’s quickly going to separate haves from have nots. Just today Texas boosters opened the floodgates by agreeing to form NIL groups over $10 million to get most major players to over 100k across I believe five sports. 

Bama has players making absurd money before stepping onto campus.

Auburn has guts getting free dinners once a week. Are we admitting defeat early here? How or who do we use to catch up in this new landscape?

Just now, ToomersRevenge said:

What does everyone think Auburn can do in this new Cold War that’s quickly going to separate haves from have nots. Just today Texas boosters opened the floodgates by agreeing to form NIL groups over $10 million to get most major players to over 100k across I believe five sports. 

Auburn has guts getting free dinners once a week. Are we admitting defeat early here? How or who do we use to catch up in this new landscape?

If only Tim Cook would get involved..

• Like 1

Auburn will do what it needs to to be competitive.  1st step is to get players in here that companies will spend a lot of money on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn will do what it needs to to be competitive.  1st step is to get players in here that companies will spend a lot of money on

Do you not think that at some level that’s led by boosters saying we’re gonna give big guys 100k up front? Does the cart lead the horse or Vice versa

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

it has nothing to do with getting guys in here.  It's about paying guys up front to get them in here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's the same as business anywhere else. You have to spend money to make money. I don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes but I see what goes on in recruiting and the last several years on the field. We need to get it figured out and do what's best for Auburn. At a bare minimum we have to do what others who have attained a mutual goal are doing. If we want to compete for championships we have to find a way to get champions to come play for us. The playing field is as level as it's going to get. Know the rules, exploit the loopholes and get it done. If the NCAA doesn't like it then they can close the loopholes but until that time it's a war and we need to win our share of battles. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, ToomersRevenge said:

Just today Texas boosters opened the floodgates by agreeing to form NIL groups over $10 million to get most major players to over 100k across I believe five sports. 

I said it when they started discussing this pay for play garbage. It will completely RUIN amateur athletics. Only took a year and now it’s already going to literally destroy all the small schools that can’t do this type of thing. If this doesn’t get reigned in soon I’ll probably have to give up college sports altogether. I already hate the pro leagues because they’re all spoiled brats (well most not all). College will be there in a couple years. Very sad day IYAM

1 hour ago, wcware said:

I am so worried that Auburn’s PTB are so resistant to change that they will not embrace everything NIL and we will fall further behind.

I feel you. It worry about that too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToomersRevenge said:

This is now talking about the use of private money from businesses and business people. I don't like thinking about it as an extension of Auburn. It isn't. It's not something "Auburn" can control or direct.

If you want to sling $100k to a player for an ad deal, you're just as welcome as any other soul. Otherwise, don't complain about Auburn rolling over. I don't like criticizing people for NOT directing huge money and their business models for the sheer benefit of Auburn football. 

Strategizing over this is basically saying "Hey who do we think should take personal responsibility for Auburn football and who should we criticize for not risking their livelihoods for Auburn football?"

Even Tim Cook owes us nothing. If he wants to help, that's amazing! But we shouldn't feel entitled to direct the use of OTHER people's money. 

• Like 2

AU Family Posters: "Our PTB are crap if they won't step up to give every player $100k out of their own pockets"

Also AU Family Posters: "Our PTB get their grubby fingers off the program"

Warned ya'll when this NIL stuff started. You simply can't comprehend how much money an institution like UT Austin can reach out and touch right in their own backyard or on the UT golf club's course a few miles away. There are billionaires with direct ties to the university who live right here in Austin. I had no less than three professors teaching my UT classes with 9 figure net worths when I was in grad school in the early 1990's. I doubt AU had a prof in the 8 figure range. Texas A&M is barely poorer than UT. Auburn can't touch either one.

Alabama people are so rabid that they will run themselves into the financial ground trying to keep up, but they will crash hard after Saban. OU is a lot wealthier than you might think from old oil money. You just can't comprehend the difference between a place like AU and a Texas or ATM until you've lived it.

USCw and Stanford - yes, Stanford, same place Tim Cook has made his biggest donations - are schools that can keep up if they choose to. You might even see the Ivy League rise to its former national prominence if one or more of those schools gets motivated. CFB will look like the NFL before salary caps, and AU is a small market team. 

Edited by TigerHorn
  • Like 3

If you build it they will come

If you pay them they will come

It's insane that we went from talking about providing payment to all football players.. Like a small stipen, nothing crazy to paying only a few stars butt tons of money to push yellawood, socks and sports apparel or whatever stuff. Babylon is thriving. 

• Like 2

We should heavily invest in Basketball with NIL now, future NBA superstars might stick around longer in NCAA (lots of growth potential, especially with urban & global markets since Basketball is generally popular internationally…Australia, China, Europe, South America). There is no real growth potential in Football (demographics are changing). We should also recruit more internationally in Basketball & Olympic sports (France, GB, Australia, etc). Globally, NBA is not as popular as it used to be and NCAA teams could increase market shares in the future. I read that Bruce requested more resources for facility upgrades - but it was turned down(?). Basketball is the future, that’s why Bama is now investing so heavily in Basketball + they cannot grow in FB anymore. Suni’s IG (1.5M) has more followers than Alabama Crimson Tide FB IG (1M).

Football is still king but College Basketball has more longterm growth potential as mentioned (urban & global markets + significant demographic changes nationwide).

Olympic sports is also a good PR machine in some cases and can reach markets that FB cannot reach (esp. women, global markets, etc). Suni is a global brand and has many Int. followers. UGA will soon sign the biggest swim talent in the world who is from South Africa (next Michael Phelps). This should be approached as a complementary strategy. (AU Gymnastics season tickets sold out faster than AU Basketball season tickets this year. ABC will broadcast regular season meets for the first time ever).

We need to get into position for the next phase in NCAA’s evolution (next 10-15 yrs): 

Transfer portal -> NIL —> Full Streaming —>Global markets (Basketball)

When College teams will start negotiating individual streaming deals with Amazon, Apple, YT & co, we might not even need SEC $ anymore and should consider an ACC move (Basketball & Duke, UNC, and Notre Dame could be more attractive).

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

Before the NIL, there were a handful of teams that played the game by their own rules for decades. On a regular basis, they spread plenty of cash, cars and benefits around behind the scenes to get the players they wanted. The NCAA couldn't or wouldn't enforce their own rules, got sued by the other players and the NCAA finally threw up their hands.

So now we have the NIL. It allows all the schools to compete on a level playing field with the handful of teams that were already doing it behind the scenes. Teams have a choice to make and they all have the same opportunity. Auburn can either choose to get creative, overcome obstacles like access to available funds and make the NIL work for them or not. If Auburn doesn't master the use of the NIL, it will be left behind and it will be their own fault.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Before the NIL, there were a handful of teams that played the game by their own rules for decades. On a regular basis, they spread plenty of cash, cars and benefits around behind the scenes to get the players they wanted. The NCAA couldn't or wouldn't enforce their own rules, got sued by the other players and the NCAA finally threw up their hands.

So now we have the NIL. It allows all the schools to compete on a level playing field with the handful of teams that were already doing it behind the scenes. Teams have a choice to make and they all have the same opportunity. Auburn can either choose to get creative, overcome obstacles like access to available funds and make the NIL work for them or not. If Auburn doesn't master the use of the NIL, it will be left behind and it will be their own fault.  

No. The behind the scenes stuff is almost certainly happening at the same pace. But now some of the payments are legitimized.

I don't know what you're really saying. The NIL doesn't change anything in regards to how much outside money is spent on college football.

Again, this is NOT an Auburn issue!!! Auburn University can't decide how much to make Jimmy Rayne spend on a Yellawood NIL sponsorship!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No. The behind the scenes stuff is almost certainly happening at the same pace. But now some of the payments are legitimized.

I don't know what you're really saying. The NIL doesn't change anything in regards to how much outside money is spent on college football.

Again, this is NOT an Auburn issue!!! Auburn University can't decide how much to make Jimmy Rayne spend on a Yellawood NIL sponsorship!

The NIL is all about outside money. 'Officially' Auburn can't decide. 'Officially' schools can't contact kids before they enter the transfer portal either. 'Unofficially' is another story and part of overcoming obstacles.   

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The NIL is all about outside money. 'Officially' Auburn can't decide. 'Officially' schools can't contact kids before they enter the transfer portal either. 'Unofficially' is another story and part of overcoming obstacles.   

Yeah. And unless you want to spend your own personal money or hitch your own business to it, it's not worth talking about.

I don't like inferring that we're entitled to anybody's personal funds. "Let's step up our game in the NIL!... But not with my money. With someone else's."

Okay you AU textiles engineering entrepreneur, gain a monopoly on crimson fabric dye and houndstooth patterns. Then you can tax the turds fund all our NIL. Nothing better than having the enemy fund your war machine. I guess we could do the same with title pawn and rent-to-own furniture chains. What AU alum has that market?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah. And unless you want to spend your own personal money or hitch your own business to it, it's not worth talking about.

I don't like inferring that we're entitled to anybody's personal funds. "Let's step up our game in the NIL!... But not with my money. With someone else's."

Where did you get that from ? Nobody "inferred" that. Didn't you bring up Yellawood man ? The point was about intermediaries. It's definitely worth talking about if you want to do something. I'm saying AU has to put a solid NIL program together, just like other schools are ALREADY doing, and some are being very aggressive about it.  

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Where did you get that bs from ? Didn't you bring up Yellawood man ? It's definitely worth talking about if you want to do something. I'm saying AU has to put a solid NIL program together, just like other schools are doing, and some are being very aggressive about it. So it's already being done which makes it worth discussing in the NIL thread 

Okay give me the specifics of "putting together a solid NIL program" besides being totally dependent on outside cash from private businesses? 

It's not up to Auburn whether or not Milo's wants to sponsor Bo Nix. Idk what you guys are even talking about other than how to use other people's money.