Order The SEC Coaches for 2022-23

shabby

Another regular season down. Here are the coaches coming in for 2022-23 season. How do you rate the SEC coaches for next year?

My order indicates why I'm disappointed with the Harsin Hire and performance. I don't feel he compares well with what he will be facing in this conference:

1) Saban

2) Smart

3) Kelly

4) Kiffin

5) Jimbo

6) Leach

7) Pittman

😎 Stoops

9) Heupel

10) Napier

11) Harsin

12) Beamer

13) Drinkwitz

14) Lea

Where do you rank these coaches and how does Harsin compare so far?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

Another regular season down. Here are the coaches coming in for 2022-23 season. How do you rate the SEC coaches for next year?

My order indicates why I'm disappointed with the Harsin Hire and performance. I don't feel he compares well with what he will be facing in this conference:

1) Saban

2) Smart

3) Kelly

4) Kiffin

5) Jimbo

6) Leach

7) Pittman

😎 Stoops

9) Heupel

10) Napier

11) Harsin

12) Beamer

13) Drinkwitz

14) Lea

Nothing glaringly wrong with this order.  Personally, I would place Jimbo at #4 based off total body of work and Stoops at #5... Kiffin & Leach at #6 #7.

It’s difficult to rank a coach and not to consider what school they are coaching.

let’s just take a few for example:

Leach, Kiffin and Stoops.   All are middle of the pack coaches but coach at school a that haven’t won an SEC championship in 50 years or longer for some.   As good as they can ever be, it’s still not going to happen because of where they coach.  

• Like 1

Those top 3 are pretty solid and I don’t think you’d get much argument about them.  After that it’s debatable.     Some of the new guys, I think it’s a little too early to tell.   Making Kentucky relevant for a few years in a row is an impressive job, so I really like Stoops!   Jimbo does a great job of doing less with more.  I think he is very overrated.   CLK has been very volatile in his career.   If he has matured beyond that and starts relying less on the analytics, he might deserve to be that high on the list in a few years.    Heupel is off to a good start, we’ll see if he can sustain it.    CBH is a competitor on a level we haven’t seen since CPD!!!   If he gets this ship sailing straight and starts hauling in the big fish(sticking with the boat metaphor) in recruiting, he could really shoot up this list.   

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Nothing glaringly wrong with this order.  Personally, I would place Jimbo at #4 based off total body of work and Stoops at #5... Kiffin & Leach at #6 #7.

No way aSun belt coach is that high on that list.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shabby said:

1) Saban

2) Smart

3) Kelly

4) Kiffin

5) Jimbo

6) Leach

7) Pittman

😎 Stoops

9) Heupel

10) Napier

11) Harsin

12) Beamer

13) Drinkwitz

14) Lea

you forgot beamer just beat you 2 weeks ago?

Little early to be adding Kelly and Napier to that list isn't it? Neither has seen the crucible of big time conference recruiting and weekly play as a HC, unless I'm missing something

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shabby said:

1) Saban - GOAT

2) Smart - undeniably second based on where he has UGA

3) Kelly - Too high. Time will tell what he is. He will have great resources and athletes at his disposal at LSU.

4) Kiffin- Too high. Hell of an OC, but I am not sold on him as a HC.

5) Jimbo- Does less with more but a solid recruiter and QB developer

6) Leach- Leach has a very successful offensive scheme. Helps some...hurts some. I don't think he would ever win it all even at a program like Bama, LSU, or UGA.

7) Pittman- Has turned Arky on the right path, but waaay too early to tell.

😎 Stoops- Way too low. 

9) Heupel- Way too early

10) Napier- Resume looks good thus far, let's see what he does at a Big 6.

11) Harsin - I personally would have him higher based on his previous resume alone, but I am not arguing this one.

12) Beamer- Bout right

13) Drinkwitz- 

14) Lea - no question

1 Saban

2 Smart

3 Stoops - Imagine if he had the talent of UGA

4- Jimbo

5- Kelly

6- Kiffin

7 Leach

8 - Harsin

9 - Pittman

10- Napier

11- Huepel

12 - Drinkwitz

13 - Beamer

14- Lea.

I could see an argument for any arrangement of 6-10 on my list.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, aucat said:

you forgot beamer just beat you 2 weeks ago?

No. I didn't forget. We beat ole miss. Doesn't put us above them. 

I think we'll see this weekend that Smart may take the top spot for next year. Circle of life - eat or be eaten. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think we'll see this weekend that Smart may take the top spot for next year. Circle of life - eat or be eaten. 

I would think Smart may need to win a few more to take the title from the greatest of all time. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, shabby said:

I would think Smart may need to win a few more to take the title from the greatest of all time. 

Agree on all-time but we're talking about 22/23 aren't we?

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Tired Sam Puckett GIF

if you say so. But I think how Harsin stacks up against the coaches of the conference he will consistently face is relevant and an interesting discussion. Have we had this specific conversation on the board yet? 

I think the OP just wanted to put Napier ahead of Harsin and I didn’t even look who the OP was. So no disrespect intended. Because that’s just my opinion. I read that as no way a MWC coach can make it in the SEC. So let’s put the Sun Belt coach ahead of him. Like I said just how I read it. So that would be my problem not anybody else’s. 

1 minute ago, TXaubie said:

I think the OP just wanted to put Napier ahead of Harsin and I didn’t even look who the OP was. So no disrespect intended. Because that’s just my opinion. I read that as no way a MWC coach can make it in the SEC. So let’s put the Sun Belt coach ahead of him. Like I said just how I read it. So that would be my problem not anybody else’s. 

I don't know about all of that, but Napier definitely has a lot to prove before being near as high as he is.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Agree on all-time but we're talking about 22/23 aren't we?

The coaches for the upcoming season- the career and current accomplishments as the factors for the rating. Sorry that wasn't very clear

11 hours ago, selias said:

Little early to be adding Kelly and Napier to that list isn't it? Neither has seen the crucible of big time conference recruiting and weekly play as a HC, unless I'm missing something

Kelly and Napier have been coaching for years so there are plenty of factors to evaluate both I think. I would also point out that Napier was very high on most Auburn Fan's list of coaches they wanted to take over after Gus. What he has done for them Rajun Cajuns has been impressive

I think Heupel needs to be closer to the bottom. At UCF he inherited a 13-0 team. His record there went 12-1, 10-3, 6-4. He was driving them straight to the bottom. I guess Tennessee has a real talent for picking guys who are unlikely to work out.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think Heupel needs to be closer to the bottom. At UCF he inherited a 13-0 team. His record there went 12-1, 10-3, 6-4. He was driving them straight to the bottom. I guess Tennessee has a real talent for picking guys who are unlikely to work out.

I can see that based off of the UCF decline

4 hours ago, shabby said:

Kelly and Napier have been coaching for years so there are plenty of factors to evaluate both I think. I would also point out that Napier was very high on most Auburn Fan's list of coaches they wanted to take over after Gus. What he has done for them Rajun Cajuns has been impressive

Kelly has been a HC since 2004 and just left one of the top jobs in country to come to LSU, Napier has been a HC for 3 years at a Sun belt team. No comparison at all and don’t see Napier as a proven commodity like Kelly is.

Would be interesting to see these coaches actual record and winning % as a HC regardless of where they coached.  Just as a FYI.  

Maybe these are fairly accurate...

1.  Smart;      63-14,      .818%

2.  Saban;   271-66-1,  .803% 

3.  Napier;     39-12,     .767%

4.  Fisher;   117-36,      .765%

5.  Harsin;    75-25,      .750%

6.  Heupel;   35-13,      .729%

7.  Kelly;        163-62,    .724%

8. Drinkwitz;  23-12,      .657%

9.  Kiffen;       75-41,      .647%

10. Leach;     150-102,   .595%

11.  Stoops;   56-53,      .514%

12. Pittman;   11-11,       .500%

13.  Beamer;    6-6,       .500%

14.  Lea;           2-10,     .166%

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:33 PM, shabby said:

1) Saban

2) Smart

3) Kelly

4) Kiffin

5) Jimbo

6) Leach

7) Pittman

😎 Stoops

9) Heupel

10) Napier

11) Harsin

12) Beamer

13) Drinkwitz

14) Lea

I’d move down Jimbo and Kelly. I personally think Jimbo is overrated. He ran FSU into the ground, and they haven’t been able to recover since. TAMU has an insane amount of money and a huge, loud stadium… lots of advantages, and he still hasn’t been able to be a true contender in the west.
As for Kelly, he did well enough with a team that had mediocre competition. I’m not sold that he’s as good as advertised. I’d probably move Beamer up. That program has fallen far, and he had them playing hard for him much like Pittman has done at Arkansas.

Edited by ScotsAU