Bo Nix On Future at Auburn: "I’m Not Sure"

IronMan70

Passing this along for your info.

Bo Nix on future at Auburn: 'I’m not sure' 

by Nathan King @247

Bo Nix seems to be at a crossroads in his football career after 34 consecutive starts at Auburn.

But at the conclusion of Auburn's 2021 regular season, Nix isn't sure of what the future holds. He's got a season-ending ankle injury to recover from, first and foremost. But once he's healed, Nix hasn't definitively said he'll be Auburn's quarterback next season.

"Well, it's definitely my school," Nix said Monday on The Next Round radio program in Birmingham, when asked if he plans to return to Auburn in 2022. "I'm graduating in a couple weeks; I'll have graduated in three years, and that was my goal coming in. So Auburn is definitely my school, and I think it will always be my school. But obviously, right now, I'm just trying to get healthy. I'm not sure what next year looks like. I've got to get my ankle better first and make sure I can play and get back to my normal self."

Before kickoff in Auburn's 24-22 loss in four overtimes, Nix also didn't explicitly say he was set on returning to Auburn next season during an interview with the CBS broadcast crew.

"We'll see," Nix said. "We'll enjoy this one today, hopefully recover soon, then I'll make that decision later."

The former five-star recruit sustained an ankle injury in the second half of Auburn's loss to Mississippi State in Week 11 before undergoing surgery the following Monday. He said Saturday that the his recovery is going well. Prior to the injury, Nix had started 34 straight games for Auburn at QB, and was having the best season of his career in 2021 in terms of completion percentage (61.0%), passing yards per game (229.4) and overall quarterback rating (130.0).

Nix during his weekly interview said that the prevalence of the transfer portal, along with the free year of eligibility players who participated in the 2020 season received, have given players like himself more options, and he wants to ensure he makes the right one for a hopeful NFL career.

"There’s a lot of things that guys can do nowadays, and I’m not sure what that is for me," Nix said on The Next Round. "But like I said, I want to get my ankle better and worry about that in the future.”

Much of Nix's decision for the 2022 season, he said, will depend on whether he'll be properly prepared to play in the league and raise his draft stock.

"My ultimate goal is to play in the NFL," Nix said. "So depending on that, obviously that's got a lot to do with it, moving on in the future. Then looking back, we’ll just see what’s going on, what has changed, and then make a decision from there."

Auburn backup quarterback T.J. Finley went 17-of-26 for 137 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Iron Bowl, and was sacked six times. Finley also "rolled up" his ankle in the second half, Nix said, but continued to play the rest of the game and the four overtimes.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/bo-nix-auburn-football-2022-176695728/

Edited by IronMan70
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s get an OC who can coach QB’s and employees a mobile QB well. And if Bo leaves, DD can ascend to his place as the guy!

What makes you think DD is an SEC quality QB? Seems like if he showed any promise at all he'd have been above Loy on the depth charts. Maybe they can find a place for him in the DB room.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

Seems like a reasonable stance for a guy that will be graduating soon. Why not explore the options available to you to best set you up for your desired career?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What makes you think DD is an SEC quality QB? Seems like if he showed any promise at all he'd have been above Loy on the depth charts. Maybe they can find a place for him in the DB room.

Or maybe Harsin didn’t foresee having to use him this year, because he felt good about Bo and TJ and he wanted him to get his weight up and concentrate on learning the game and offense. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why put a freshman through a QB carrousel if you don’t have to?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or maybe Harsin didn’t foresee having to use him this year, because he felt good about Bo and TJ and he wanted him to get his weight up and concentrate on learning the game and offense. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why put a freshman through a QB carrousel if you don’t have to?

Because he can play in four games without losing his redshirt and it would be nice to let him have a few snaps in the gimme games. Were he anywhere near capable we'd have seen him after Finley got hurt last Saturday.

• Like 1

The Phenix City, Smith Station Al rumor mill has it as Gus is offering Patrick Nix the O coordinator position, Bo transfers to Central Florida as he has two years left because of Covid. Again, total rumor at this point but it is being said by some high school coaches in the area.

Just posting what they told me, I don’t have a link etc… I hope it isn’t true.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

The Phenix City, Smith Station Al rumor mill has it as Gus is offering Patrick Nix the O coordinator position, Bo transfers to Central Florida as he has two years left because of Covid. Again, total rumor at this point but it is being said by some high school coaches in the area.

First of all I like Bo. This scenario above makes little sense though to prepare him for the NFL. He has been coached by his dad his entire life up to the point when he played for Gus. His best progress was this year under neither. I get it if he wants to play for his dad but overall it doesn't make sense for the league aspirations. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Maybe Pat could pull a miracle…BUT he was the OC at Miami…had to take a BIG step down to a position coach at Charleston Southern and then yet another demotion to HS coach.  The guy hasn’t coached college ball in 8 years.  We aren’t talking about a Gus situation where the guy is working his way up but a guy that’s been there before and didn’t make it.  Of Gus does that move he’s got one year to make it work or his entire career is in the can. He’d be a fool to take that chance

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

If Bo has no aspiration to go to the NFL then yea this sounds like a great idea.  

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Maybe Pat could pull a miracle…BUT he was the OC at Miami…had to take a BIG step down to a position coach at Charleston Southern and then yet another demotion to HS coach.  The guy hasn’t coached college ball in 8 years.  We aren’t talking about a Gus situation where the guy is working his way up but a guy that’s been there before and didn’t make it.  Of Gus does that move he’s got one year to make it work or his entire career is in the can. He’d be a fool to take that chance

Simply stating what I’ve heard. We all know Gus is running the O anyway. I have no idea if this will happen. But another way to look at it is: if Gus wants Bo for a couple years, possibly Bo brings a couple people with him??? Patrick maybe his way to this….

Certainly not claiming any inside information here; simply stating what a contact or two are discussing.

Just some more info on Patrick’s coaching here. He almost sounds qualified?? Does seem like if a high school coach is talking about this, somebody in the media would’ve heard it as well and we would see something in print??

Before arriving at Pinson Valley, Nix was 28-18 in four years at Scottsboro, including a 12-1 record in his final season there in 2016.

Prior to arriving at Scottsboro, Nix spent three seasons at Charleston Southern, serving as offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator. Nix was previously the offensive coordinator at Miami (2007-08) and Georgia Tech (2004-06). He has also served as an assistant at Jacksonville State and Samford, and was the head coach at Henderson State (Ark.) for two seasons.

He was 38-4 in three years at Pinson Valley, leading his team to Class 6A state championships in 2017 and 2018. During his time there, his son – current Auburn quarterback Bo Nix – was named the state’s Mr. Football.

Edited by AU-24

Guest MustardSeed
16 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Simply stating what I’ve heard. We all know Gus is running the O anyway. I have no idea if this will happen. But another way to look at it is: if Gus wants Bo for a couple years, possibly Bo brings a couple people with him??? Patrick maybe his way to this….

Certainly not claiming any inside information here; simply stating what a contact or two are discussing.

Oh I know. I was just commenting on Gus doing this. Not your info. This would be the equivalent of Gus going to Arky mainly because Nutt wanted his qb…except Gus hadn’t already failed at that level. And Bo…well Bo left his dads coaching nowhere near ready to play in the SEC and left Gus’ coaching nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. If they made this move I’d hope the best for them, but the only person that looks to be making a good move for themselves here is Pat

22 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Just some more info on Patrick’s coaching here. He almost sounds qualified?? Does seem like if a high school coach is talking about this, somebody in the media would’ve heard it as well and we would see something in print??

Before arriving at Pinson Valley, Nix was 28-18 in four years at Scottsboro, including a 12-1 record in his final season there in 2016.

Prior to arriving at Scottsboro, Nix spent three seasons at Charleston Southern, serving as offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator. Nix was previously the offensive coordinator at Miami (2007-08) and Georgia Tech (2004-06). He has also served as an assistant at Jacksonville State and Samford, and was the head coach at Henderson State (Ark.) for two seasons.

He was 38-4 in three years at Pinson Valley, leading his team to Class 6A state championships in 2017 and 2018. During his time there, his son – current Auburn quarterback Bo Nix – was named the state’s Mr. Football.

Well, it would certainly be the JABA thing to do.  I guess Gus is still in an Auburn state of mind...

Edited by AURealist

7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Well, it would certainly be the JABA thing to do.  I guess Gus is still in an Auburn state of mind...

🤷‍♂️

It just sounds like he is weighing his NFL options…he said he wants to play in the league and stated that directly.  

And, he has to get his ankle healed up and he is about to graduate…lots of big events going on at the moment.

I fully expect him to stay but who knows.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Just saying that hiring a father to get the son as QB sounds like is something we would do.  

I know. The point I was trying to make earlier is Gus is running the O anyway. Everyone at Central Florida knows that. It would be Patrick’s way to get back into college coaching, Gus would get Bo and possibly others plus Bo gets to play for his Dad and Gus. A full-time Non- redshirted football player, serious girlfriend he gets engaged too, still finds time to earn his degree in three years.

Obviously the kid doesn’t have problems from the neck up, so hopefully he will make good decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

I know. The point I was trying to make earlier is Gus is running the O anyway. Everyone at Central Florida knows that. It would be Patrick’s way to get back into college coaching, Gus would get Bo and possibly others plus Bo gets to play for his Dad and Gus. A full-time Non- redshirted football player, serious girlfriend he gets engaged too, still finds time to earn his degree in three years.

Obviously the kid doesn’t have problems from the neck up, so hopefully he will make good decisions.

Yeah, if this happens at UCF, Pat would stand to make some cash, but Bo would be less likely to make it in the pros.  If Bo wants to play pro ball, he needs to play somewhere with a real QB coach and a real offense.  That ain't UCF.      

• Like 2

Didn’t know he was about to graduate. He could leave and still be an alumni so maybe it’s not that crazy. 

Don’t know what he sees in Gus and him being able to help Bo get to the NFL. Sounds like a career suicide mission. 

Guest MustardSeed

List of qbs Gus got ready for the NFL:

It took me hours of study to find those guys 😂

Bo is the only qb Gus has ever had that he trained up from a freshman and didn’t end up a backup to a better trained transfer or transferring themselves. I agree with most here. Bo going there would likely be career suicide. It’s very well known that qbs under Gus have major issues in the NFL because they haven’t been trained to understand a real offense. That’s not an attack on Gus, it’s just a well known fact

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Just saying that hiring a father to get the son as QB sounds like is something we would do.  

AU probably spends more on buyouts as they do on full time coaches. Seems like the divide between High School, College, and Professional are notable with some coaches able to traverse successfully between the silos while others fall flat. The same with players. 

With Harsin being a QB coach I don't see him hiring someone for an interim QB need, i.e., Bo and Patrick. JABA can be entertainment worthy of popcorn but I don't see Harsin giving the reigns to a coach that is not tested in the college ranks, especially with an offense that needs a lot of help. 

Just now, AU_Canoe said:

AU probably spends more on buyouts as they do on full time coaches. Seems like the divide between High School, College, and Professional are notable with some coaches able to traverse successfully between the silos while others fall flat. The same with players. 

With Harsin being a QB coach I don't see him hiring someone for an interim QB need, i.e., Bo and Patrick. JABA can be entertainment worthy of popcorn but I don't see Harsin giving the reigns to a coach that is not tested in the college ranks, especially with an offense that needs a lot of help. 

No kidding.  Wasn't at all talking about Harsin.   

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

First of all I like Bo. This scenario above makes little sense though to prepare him for the NFL. He has been coached by his dad his entire life up to the point when he played for Gus. His best progress was this year under neither. I get it if he wants to play for his dad but overall it doesn't make sense for the league aspirations. 

I agree, makes no sense on multiple fronts including exposure. If I was an NFL scout, Bo playing for his dad again would raise a question on whether he is capable of playing for anyone else but his dad. To a scout, possibly a red flag on his ability to progress from High School to College and then to Pro. 

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don't doubt that you've heard that, but the validity of it is very questionable. Somewhere like Troy is likelier gig for Pat.