Harsin saying 6-6 is not a good first year.

autiger88

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Watch where Florida ends up this year. 

Florida, who fired their coach, is currently 14th in the SEC recruiting rankings (Rivals). Auburn is 13th. I have been following Auburn recruiting for longer than most here have been alive. Through coaching changes, NCAA probations and investigations and many other things that had a negative effect on recruiting, AU has never even remotely been this low at this point in the cycle. The excuses being applied to shrug away our current status also apply to many other teams. Why haven't their results been as poor as Auburn's?

Can a rabbit be pulled out of a hat at the last minute? Yes, it's possible and we all hope it happens. Is that likely? No.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Florida, who fired their coach, is currently 14th in the SEC recruiting rankings (Rivals). Auburn is 13th. I have been following Auburn recruiting for longer than most here have been alive. Through coaching changes, NCAA probations and investigations and many other things that had a negative effect on recruiting, AU has never even remotely been this low at this point in the cycle. The excuses being applied to shrug away our current status also apply to many other teams. Why haven't their results been as poor as Auburn's?

Can a rabbit be pulled out of a hat at the last minute? Yes, it's possible and we all hope it happens. Is that likely? No.

Key word: currently

You seem to want to be doing better now as opposed to when we hit the finish line, but the game ain't over yet.

And again I ask, what do all of the top 10-15 recruiting classes over the last few years get you if they don't stay?  The amount of highly rated prospects that have left AU early is abnormally high.

But you keep worrying there chicken little.  I'm just looking forward to signing day.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Interesting terminology there. If a rabbit is pulled out of a hat it won’t be due to any magic or luck. It will be due to the staff busting their asses, being relentless, and spending the majority of their time away from their families to build a program and, ultimately, make an increasingly piss poor fan base “eat crow” on signing day.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Link?

Its missing

Screenshot_20211210-101558~2.png

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Pat Fossum said:

Interesting terminology there. If a rabbit is pulled out of a hat it won’t be due to any magic or luck. It will be due to the staff busting their asses, being relentless, and spending the majority of their time away from their families to build a program and, ultimately, make an increasingly piss poor fan base “eat crow” on signing day.

Do you think that the coaches of other schools are sitting with their families while AU scours the countryside? Everybody's staff is out doing the same thing.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

But you keep worrying there chicken little.  I'm just looking forward to signing day.

I hope you are happy on signing day, because then I will be happy too. Right now it ain't lookin' so hot. Will you be thrilled if AU finishes 20th in the country and 11th in the SEC?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I hope you are happy on signing day, because then I will be happy too. Right now it ain't lookin' so hot. Will you be thrilled if AU finishes 20th in the country and 11th in the SEC?

Depends on who we finish with and who we may get in the transfer portal.  Lots of immediate impact guys available in the portal that won't count towards the team recruiting ranking.  Which is a big reason why team rankings are quickly becoming tougher to fully grasp.

Perfect example is Michigan State.  Finished 46th in recruiting last year but absolutely CRUSHED the transfer portal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Perfect example is Michigan State.  Finished 46th in recruiting last year but absolutely CRUSHED the transfer portal.

This is very true had something like 19 from the portal I believe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Depends on who we finish with and who we may get in the transfer portal.  Lots of immediate impact guys available in the portal that won't count towards the team recruiting ranking.  Which is a big reason why team rankings are quickly becoming tougher to fully grasp.

That's a good fall back position for you. If we don't do well next week, then it can be "Just ignore the failure and wait until the transfers start rolling in".

Meanwhile, UGA, UAT and A&M being ranked 1, 2 and 3 respectively doesn't matter because we are going to clean up with the transfers? Clue: Those are the people we have to beat. We don't have to consistently out-recruit them to win our share of games, but we do have to stay within a reasonable distance. We are currently 39th overall and 13th in the SEC. That is not staying within a reasonable distance.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's a good fall back position for you. If we don't do well next week, then it can be "Just ignore the failure and wait until the transfers start rolling in".

Meanwhile, UGA, UAT and A&M being ranked 1, 2 and 3 respectively doesn't matter because we are going to clean up with the transfers? Clue: Those are the people we have to beat. We don't have to consistently out-recruit them to win our share of games, but we do have to stay within a reasonable distance. We are currently 39th overall and 13th in the SEC. That is not staying within a reasonable distance.

Would definitely be helpful to close strong.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We also need to close with strong transfer help.

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Would definitely be helpful to close strong.

I expect us to close strong compared to where we are at this moment. I don't see how we close strong enough, through high school recruiting or transfers, to keep up with our competition. It would take a shockingly strong close to keep from losing ground in the "arms race" this cycle.

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No **** on who we have to beat on the field.  But you're playing the equivalent of an analog game in a digital world if you aren't also taking into account the transfer portal.  The guy who just won the Walter Camp and Doak Walker Awards was a ****ing transfer last year.

You keep worrying about where we rank today though chicken little.  I'mma wait until both signing days are over to make full assessments.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No **** on who we have to beat on the field.  But you're playing the equivalent of an analog game in a digital world if you aren't also taking into account the transfer portal.  The guy who just won the Walter Camp and Doak Walker Awards was a ****ing transfer last year.

You keep worrying about where we rank today though chicken little.  I'mma wait until both signing days are over to make full assessments.

What's mind boggling to me is the people that are now so worried about recruiting but also carried the opinion it wasn't a big deal in the past when we signed guys and they left. It's almost like they don't care about anything but a third party site saying you did well

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

What's mind boggling to me is the people that are now so worried about recruiting but also carried the opinion it wasn't a big deal in the past when we signed guys and they left. It's almost like they don't care about anything but a third party site saying you did well

Agenda driven 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The guy who just won the Walter Camp and Doak Walker Awards was a ****ing transfer last year.

This plus for all of bama's number one recruiting classes, their best receiver this year was a transfer from Ohio State and their leading tackler was a transfer from Tennessee. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

This plus for all of bama's number one recruiting classes, their best receiver this year was a transfer from Ohio State and their leading tackler was a transfer from Tennessee. 

Might have been the leading tackler but was way down on the list for the best defensive player for them.   And as far as best receiver,  #8 was right there with him.   

13 minutes ago, nurbis said:

The thing is all the other guys around him are HS recruits that allow him to do that. He is just one guy. Auburn took a chance in Robertson and we know how that went. What works for other schools doesn’t mean it will work for all.

14 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Might have been the leading tackler but was way down on the list for the best defensive player for them.   And as far as best receiver,  #8 was right there with him.   

#8 was 300 yards behind Williams and then next leading receiver behind those two had 350 yards total meaning a transfer was critical to their offensive success this year. And maybe to'oto'o isn't their best defensive player but he definitely wasn't way down the list. You can't just write off 100 tackles as insignificant regardless of whatever your agenda is here. He was critical to their defensive success this year. And the point stands, two transfer players were a primary factor in bama being the #1 seed in the playoffs again. A team with their recruiting shouldn't even need to look at the portal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

#8 was 300 yards behind Williams and then next leading receiver behind those two had 350 yards total meaning a transfer was critical to their offensive success this year. And maybe to'oto'o isn't their best defensive player but he definitely wasn't way down the list. You can't just write off 100 tackles as insignificant regardless of whatever your agenda is here. He was critical to their defensive success this year. And the point stands, two transfer players were a primary factor in bama being the #1 seed in the playoffs again. A team with their recruiting shouldn't even need to look at the portal. 

They contributed but the question is did Bama already know they were interested and a lock to come there. Big difference in seeking and knowing. Also Auburn gonna need more than 2 guys in the portal. I understand what u are saying but every teams situation is different. Just not sure why Bama wouldn’t use the portal . The goal is to always get better

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Point is even leading recruiters are using the portal successfully. We have to get good at it if we aren’t now. I haven’t seen much on stats that they gave us this year.

45 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Hopefully it is telling to their players and recruits that they backed 5stars up to make room for others.

Auburn had a good amount of portal players come in. Who were the impact players. The portal guys or recruits. This is a tough comparison. We talking two guys to a teams recruiting cycle that may hinge on portal players

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Since where we rank today has a lot to do with how many good players we bring in, yes I'll be concerned.  If we are ranked #13 in the SEC on the high school listings, what makes you think we will do any better with the transfers? We picked up a few last year and so did everybody else. There's no rational reason to think that we'll score a 10 in getting transfers while everybody else gets a 5 or less.

"But you're playing the equivalent of an analog game in a digital world..."  Back away from the Jimmy Buffett tunes for a while, Junior. You are in over your head.

• Like 2