Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

Tate just posted on the Bunker that Auburn is vetting Zak Hill. That is to say making sure he doesn't have any dirty NCAA laundry that could bite us. Does not mean he's the guy *yet*.

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Honestly with how tight lipped harsin keeps things none of these media guys could have a clue, ya know?

I 100% agree 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Tate just posted on the Bunker that Auburn is vetting Zak Hill. That is to say making sure he doesn't have any dirty NCAA laundry that could bite us. Does not mean he's the guy *yet*.

Someone convince me Zak Hill would be a good hire please 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Because Harsin wants him! You don't need to be convinced...we don't have a say in the matter.

1 minute ago, GAAubie said:

Because Harsin wants him! You don't need to be convinced...we don't have a say in the matter.

I really just don’t get what some here see in the guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He and Harsin had good offenses together at Boise. He would fit in nicely as the QB coach. 

So... Zac Hill we get an experienced OC/QB coach of 5 years with zero recruiting time in the south so that would take time to establish and maybe he is a good recruiter.  Or Dell McGee who is a solid established recruiter with zero OC experience. Good luck Harsin.

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Per an article on the mobile register, it is down to Hill, kittley and dameyune Craig. Just from briefly reading their accomplishments, Kittley would be my choice. I am very on the fence about Harsin wanting to bring in all these Midwest coaches. Kittley has worked with mahomes at TTU and then at WKU, which is closer to us. As for Craig, I know he’s considered a great recruiter, but I don’t know anything about how accomplished a play caller he is. Any thoughts on this? 

• Like 2

McGee just does not fit in my mind. Never been a OC and has only coached RBs. And we currently have a RB coach who I like and is a good recruiter. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Per an article on the mobile register, it is down to Hill, kittley and dameyune Craig. Just from briefly reading their accomplishments, Kittley would be my choice. I am very on the fence about Harsin wanting to bring in all these Midwest coaches. Kittley has worked with mahomes at TTU and then at WKU, which is closer to us. As for Craig, I know he’s considered a great recruiter, but I don’t know anything about how accomplished a play caller he is. Any thoughts on this? 

I like Kittley more and more because he has shown he can make a canny difference at a place like WKU. Now the downside is how consistent can that be? We don’t have that much data for that. He did also do the same at lowly Houston Baptist. Also, I always cringe at the whole Mahomes thing . I believe he was a GA when Mahomes was the QB. How much did he actually do in that environment ? It reminds me of that OC we hired whose fame was he worked with Tom Brady. I do think it supports his acumen for the offensive game though. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Old fan 47 said:

As for Craig, I know he’s considered a great recruiter, but I don’t know anything about how accomplished a play caller he is. Any thoughts on this? 

My thoughts are give him the title he wants, let him stock the cupboard, and then let him keep climbing the ladder while an elite play caller and QB developer reaps the benefits of DC's recruiting acumen. 

That goes for McGee, too. 

Look at what Muschamp and TRob did for us in one year here. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
19 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

:banghead:

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My thoughts are give him the title he wants, let him stock the cupboard, and then let him keep climbing the ladder while an elite play caller and QB developer reaps the benefits of DC's recruiting acumen. 

That goes for McGee, too. 

Look at what Muschamp and TRob did for us in one year here. 

I agree somewhat with that. I do hope they let him call plays and act as the coordinator of he does agree to come. I want more individuals to be in the position of Marcus Freeman and they are going to have to speak to their coaching abilities as well as recruiting to get to that point. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
9 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Craig recruits well but has never run an offense so that’s a gigantic NO for a guy that’ll be unemployed in 2 years if hires wrong

Hill has never done a dang thing anywhere so double NO NO

Kittley is certainly a risk but he’s already done 2 extreme turnarounds of offenses that were near bottom of the country and brought them to the top. He the only 1 of those 3 worth even trying IMO. Grimes would be less risky 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I want more individuals to be in the position of Marcus Freeman and they are going to have to speak to their coaching abilities as well as recruiting to get to that point. 

I wondered if I correctly interpreted you to be touching on that in another post, and I agree. I hear you. 

My thought is that almost none of the names we're discussing have *big time* play calling experience, so if we're going to pay for more on the job training then it should be "local" guys who can also recruit. 

But you're absolutely right. It would be a disservice to merely rent that recruiting acumen and not have a true collaboration on the offense. Hopefully that collaborative history with the others on staff would translate to the ideal learning environment for anyone who hasn't done it at this level. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think Craig's bad terms were with coaches who are no longer here.

I think he got along with administrators more than some coaches.

If I remember, it was a LAshley/Craig issue under Gus, that Gus didn't handle real well.

Craig, if he is a serious candidate, would be a great recruiter, and would surely make Harsin call his own plays.

It could be Harsin, knowing he needed to do a lot of work to rebuild the program, wanted an established OC/ex HC like Bobo to be experienced enough, and similar in offensive strategy, to help him.

Now that Harsin has a lot of his plan in place, he can spend more time in playcalling? Isn't this what Jimbo Fisher does at TaM?

I could see Kiesau being involved in play calling if Craig were hired.

The speculation of who and when our new OC will be named is fun and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we owe Harsin the ability to hire whomever he desires. If you don't want to support that hire, don't watch or attend the games. We have had way too many occurrences of Auburn donors handcuffing our coaches and requiring them to take on coaches that did not fit. For once, let's give this man a fair chance with the coaches that HE wants. If he flames out, then he at least had his people in  place. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

Clearly not what I’d define as a reliable source 😂…but when you’re starved for any real info…here’s a claim that the ASU players don’t like Hill from someone who claims to know them…

258F9D11-9B67-4135-AEDC-0C248BED7844.jpeg