Harsin Leaving Impressions

autigeremt

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I keep hearing the guy is having trouble with the southern culture. He definitely isn't endearing himself to the fanbase the way other coaches have. He seems to be keeping the AU family at an arm's length. What's up with that? Just doesn't vibe with it?

I've heard the opposite - that he and his family really like it down here, love the town of Auburn, etc.  The only thing I think has taken some time to come to terms with is just how significant the talent gap is between us that the top of the conference and the level of recruiting it takes to change that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

^^^^This is THE problem^^^^

This was also Gus's problem according to pretty much everyone on this board. Harsin obviously came in with a plan and was likely hired because of said plan. There is a difference between thinking you know it all and sticking with a plan long enough to see it doesn't work.

I don't see how a guy that hasn't even been on the job a full year yet could even be in a position to assess a plan he hasn't had time to fully put in motion. As fans, we need to give him time to implement his plan before we're ready to cast him aside.

If Harsin's initial plan isn't at least a little successful in the next couple years, we won't get to see him adjust because he will be gone. This is the SEC. He's got one shot to prove his plan works. He's going to take that shot. We may not like the immediate results, but we should support Harsin and this team as he shoots the shot he was hired to shoot.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I just don’t get it. I don’t care how he’s laying bricks if the house he’s building falls down when a stiff wind blows. 

He’s just not going to cut it, folks. You heard it here first. 

PTB....it's funny how most posters love your inside info/opinions when it suits them but give you downvotes, etc., when they don't.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest MustardSeed

What I see in this thread is the likelihood that many people that had connections and potentially influence in the last staff suddenly no longer have that and therefore claim that Harsin is a know it all because he doesn’t listen to them. Not saying that about anyone on this board but the people “on the inside” making these claims to people not “on the inside”. 
If you pay attention you’d know this was coming. It happens literally every staff change. People lose some portion of their access and influence and get butt hurt and lash out. I wouldn’t put much stock in what anyone says. There isn’t near as much reliable info coming from “inside sources” with this staff than our previous several staffs…likely because for the first time in a long time almost everyone on the staff is not part of the “network”

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I am really and truly, rooting immensely for CBH. I love what his hire represented and his outward appearance of a hard nosed challenger. But I'm like you, this past month has devastated my hopes. 

Is there *anything* positive you've witnessed/experienced firsthand that could be interpreted as CBH having a chance at being successful here?

He does give great post game team speeches…i mean soul-turning. 
I do hope I’m wrong. This isn’t anything insider, it’s just clear to me based on what I see. I just can’t believe all the positive I’m reading on this site based on what we’ve seen of him so far. We must be in the Christmas spirit already. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

What I see in this thread is the likelihood that many people that had connections and potentially influence in the last staff suddenly no longer have that and therefore claim that Harsin is a know it all because he doesn’t listen to them. Not saying that about anyone on this board but the people “on the inside” making these claims to people not “on the inside”. 
If you pay attention you’d know this was coming. It happens literally every staff change. People lose some portion of their access and influence and get butt hurt and lash out. I wouldn’t put much stock in what anyone says. There isn’t near as much reliable info coming from “inside sources” with this staff than our previous several staffs…likely because for the first time in a long time almost everyone on the staff is not part of the “network”

Wow, I’m sure that’s happened before but I don’t think many of our “insiders” take this kind of thing as personally as you’re making it out to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDob06 said:

This was also Gus's problem according to pretty much everyone on this board. Harsin obviously came in with a plan and was likely hired because of said plan. There is a difference between thinking you know it all and sticking with a plan long enough to see it doesn't work.

I don't see how a guy that hasn't even been on the job a full year yet could even be in a position to assess a plan he hasn't had time to fully put in motion. As fans, we need to give him time to implement his plan before we're ready to cast him aside.

If Harsin's initial plan isn't at least a little successful in the next couple years, we won't get to see him adjust because he will be gone. This is the SEC. He's got one shot to prove his plan works. He's going to take that shot. We may not like the immediate results, but we should support Harsin and this team as he shoots the shot he was hired to shoot.

Gus's problem wasn't that he was defensive or that he was always angry and cold.  People knocked him for being an introvert.  Gus was football all the time and then family. He didn't enjoy the political side of shaking all the hands and making some people feel special.  If you were a high school coach, he had all the time in the world for ya, but if you were a booster, his attention was usually short lived. Kristi was Gus's saving grace in that department.  She kept them involved locally in many different things, including their church and really anything going on in the area.  She was the person around the athletic department that everyone loved, especially families and recruits.

I hope Harsin succeeds.  I am just pointing out what others have also pointed out.  If he doesn't forge some ties locally and become a little more likable, it will come back to haunt him.  It's simple really.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It is possible but in order to improve Harsin would first have to admit he wasn’t the worlds greatest coach and that is where he will fail, because he believes he knows it all. 

I agree he’d have to admit his shortcomings. Interesting that you believe that he thinks he knows everything. He doesn’t seem that way to me but you could be 100% correct because it’s only year 1. Guess I’m a little surprised to see several state he’s clearly not the guy from just year 1. It’s honestly made me go back and dig deeper into the entire season. 

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Wow, I’m sure that’s happened before but I don’t think many of our “insiders” take this kind of thing as personally as you’re making it out to be.

You remember the “good ole boy network”?  Or how everyone says JABA?  That’s all insider networks that get their feelings hurt when they lose any kind of access. Of course my post was just a guess cause I have NO inside access 🤣

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

If you were a high school coach, he had all the time in the world for ya, but if you were a booster, his attention was usually short lived.

It’s possible Harsin is the same and that’s where the rub is

Everyone realizes that it wasn't going to be a quick fix. But if you're rebuilding a program, you don't rebuild it with the 11th/12th best recruiting class in the SEC that's ranked in the 30's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

You remember the “good ole boy network”?  Or how everyone says JABA?  That’s all insider networks that get their feelings hurt when they lose any kind of access. Of course my post was just a guess cause I have NO inside access 🤣

Inside info comes from all different places…could be a relative of the coaches secretary, or a big time donor, or someone in the marketing department - access gets cut off for any number of reasons and many times it doesn’t lead to ill will.

IMO, I don’t think we have too many on this board with inside connections anymore…not like it used to be when we had coaches that would run their mouths constantly.  Maybe the inside info is now reserved for the donors forum?

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Inside info comes from all different places…could be a relative of the coaches secretary, or a big time donor, or someone in the marketing department - access gets cut off for any number of reasons and many times it doesn’t lead to ill will.

IMO, I don’t think we have too many on this board with inside connections anymore…not like it used to be when we had coaches that would run their mouths constantly.  Maybe the inside info is now reserved for the donors forum?

Yeah, I mean actual “insiders” assuming that’s where the “info” reported here is coming from (even if it’s third/fourth hand). If it’s not coming from actual insiders then who cares anyways 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It is possible but in order to improve Harsin would first have to admit he wasn’t the worlds greatest coach and that is where he will fail, because he believes he knows it all. 

Didn’t I read that same thing about Gus?

22 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

He should move those speeches to half time. 

Just a joke. Kind of. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheDob06 said:

While he had more cred coming in with a Natty, I’m betting Saban had a plan and philosophy he damn well would not compromise. Perhaps Auburn has coaches and uncommitted players that did not rise to the bar. Too much aingst and criticism while this is just beginning to unfold. Let it play out.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
11 minutes ago, tomcat said:

While he had more cred coming in with a Natty, I’m betting Saban had a plan and philosophy he damn well would not compromise. Perhaps Auburn has coaches and uncommitted players that did not rise to the bar. Too much aingst and criticism while this is just beginning to unfold. Let it play out.

Well we pretty much all know that the PTB meddling in the program has always been considered an issue. If Harsin being an outsider isn’t allowing it could explain everything… and at the same time be an actual good sign

Edited by MustardSeed

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I keep hearing the guy is having trouble with the southern culture. He definitely isn't endearing himself to the fanbase the way other coaches have. He seems to be keeping the AU family at an arm's length. What's up with that? Just doesn't vibe with it?

The south isn't too far different than Idaho for God's sake. SMDH. 

• Like 1

I'll be honest... I don't understand the angst from this board in the last 48 hours. I think we all got so used to calling for Gus's head after painful losses we don't know how to react to the growing pains of a new coach anymore. There was plenty of hand wringing on the bammer and ugaly boards during Saban and Kirby's first seasons. At least we didn't lose to ULM or Vandy like they did. This loss for me is up there with the blown 20pt lead at LSU in 2017 which may have kept us out of the playoff and put bammer IN the playoff depending on who you talk to. It is not in the same universe as the FSU game. This one hurt. It really, really hurt. But it's not a cause to blow up the program. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

I do hope I’m wrong. This isn’t anything insider, it’s just clear to me based on what I see. I just can’t believe all the positive I’m reading on this site based on what we’ve seen of him so far. We must be in the Christmas spirit already. 

@passthebiscuits Not likely. Some just realize you don't give up on a HC after 1 year, especially given the mess he inherited from Gus & lack of coaching the players got from the previous staff. Also I have seen much more fault this year in Bobo & Mason than Harsin & we have addressed 1 of those problems already today.

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Just my personal opinion. No source needed. I just don’t get the support after what we witnessed over the last few weeks. 

My support is based on the whole body of work. First, his resume as a HC far exceeds our past 2 coaches when they were hired. I was impressed when he ran off some solid players for thinking workouts and meetings were optional. I was also impressed by the 6-2 start. Mistakes were made but the moment was not too big for the Boise St Coach when he took us into the infamous Penn St whiteout. Didn’t look like he was in over his head at all. The team was well prepared and played a clean game.  My support increased when he did the same in Death Valley and came out with a win. Ditto for the road win against a ranked Arky team. And few coaches beat a Top 10 team with a future NFL qb like Corral, but Harsin did. And for the OP, to hear the respect a high character player like C Wooten has for him speaks volumes. 

I feel and share your pain for the past few weeks. And the GaSt game was ugly. But there are bright spots there as well. We took a 42-13 non-competitive beat down in the Iron Bowl last year in a game we should’ve been at least competitive in. This year we came in a huge underdog and a backup QB and made Bama look as bad as they’ve looked in years. I am sick over the loss but the recruits aren’t. Lots to complain and be concerned about. Lots to be excited about. To each his own which of those perspectives people chose to align with. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I was starting to feel more hopeful about him the last couple days and then we potentially blow up our chances of closing with a strong recruiting class. Right now I say he deserves three years here, and I hope if you end up being right by the end of year three, that we can get someone better than say Lashlee or Butch Jones.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have seen much more fault this year in Bobo & Mason than Harsin & we have addressed 1 of those problems already today.

I think  you have to spread any blame/criticism across the board IMHO. I think most of us agree on Bobo but I understand Bo Nix is pretty close with him. Bo was interviewed on JOX this morning and was asked about next year, with the question aimed primarily about his knee. Bo said we will just have to wait and see but then added, for some reason, "there's always the transfer portal." My heart sank at that. If we lose Bo we are really in deep trouble.