Harsin Leaving Impressions

autigeremt

@autigeremt this could have been an epic thread.  All you had to do was have the title read *Harsin Leaving* and have the first word in the text as *impressions*. It would have been @bigbirdworthy.

To the OP, this is why I think Harsin is going to be a good coach and I hope Auburn is willing to give him time to prove it here and not somewhere else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

This. Can you imagine how unimpressed the current 'fans' would be with other first year seasons? Too many think it's about one guy, not a foundation. (Note, this shortsightedness applies to the backup QB syndrome too)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Harsin is laying the bricks....It takes a while to build a solid foundation 

I couldn't agree more. I've seen a coach get schooled on how things are done in the SEC.  It's not like he's used to.... When he had dominant players, staff, and the unbridled, plain ole swagger those boys had out there in Boise.  

You can't win in this league by building a lead and then playing to not lose.  I see a program that:

1. Needs depth and skill... We're woefully hurting in three places: CB, OL, WR

2. Can and did score enough to win plenty of games...... As long as the OC doesn't shut the offense down to preserve a lead instead of leaving the throttle on the floor for 60m.

3. Must hit the trail to rebuild our reputation, invigorate excitement in being an Auburn Tiger (which hasn't been present for at least 5 years), and get real tangible TALENT

4. MUST stop using the JUCO transfer portal as a defacto draft. I mean good grief... I'm tired of Auburn trying sell obviously flawed players to this fanbase with ratings that were generous when they were in high school......

5. Get an OC in here with vision and flexibility.... These "the system is perfect" guys is just getting old. Too much rigidity which makes us predictable and boring.  This team reminds me of those Georgia teams that were STACKED but could never put it together... Oh yeah ...BoBo was their OC then too.....l

Edited by HSVWarEagle
Misspelled a word
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Players, mommas and daddies felt the same way about CPFD and that turned out really well for us.

I can take this seriously or I can assume you are being facetious. I will take serious.

See the source image

It's going to take time to build.  All the people venting about how every play they point out didn't go perfectly, well ... ... keep venting.  AU took uat to the wall.  Keep in mind that uat is one of 4 teams projected to be in the CFB playoff & they ESCAPED with a 4OT win over an unranked team by throwing a perfect pass in the end zone & a miraculous over-the-shoulder catch with 24 seconds left in regulation just to tie the game.  Losing hurts sure, but the team put their guts on the line the whole game.  And as a former coach said:  "There ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go out there & lay your guts on the line agin an' agin."         

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@bigbirdI saw so many missed assignments over these last games.... Ok yes... We have very very bright spots there, but as a unit ... Meh... I see them as a liability...... We kept having to give our best a blow and then, BANG!,  we MAGICALLY somehow give up an explosive play

Edited by HSVWarEagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

We'd be 9-3 going for 10 wins if Bo didn't get hurt.  Think his injury derailed the season more than anyone wants to realize bc the loss is still fresh.

Agreed. Losing him, OP, and Anders hurt a lot

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HSVWarEagle said:

I saw so many missed assignments over these last games.... Ok yes... We have very very bright spots there, but as a unit ... Meh... I see them as a liability...... We kept having to give our best a blow and then, BANG!,  we MAGICALLY somehow give up an explosive play

That's true, but what improvement over the course of the season.  More time running the scheme and an entire off-season to rep as opposed to install will have a huge payoff next season. There is talent in the secondary all over the place. The other spots, LB, OL, WR, definitely will need to step up 

I'm not sure I saw any OL improvement. They were bad all season. Never run blocked well, occasionally pass blocked decently for half the snaps while getting g blown up the other half.

Not a huge fan of Friend (outside the supposed recruiting abilities which hasn't shown up),  but he's got nothing to work with. Hopefully new transfers and maybe 1 or 2 of the younger guys can contribute next year

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's true, but what improvement over the course of the season.  More time running the scheme and an entire off-season to rep as opposed to install will have a huge payoff next season

Sure! But improvement does not a strong unit make .. I saw good coverage skill and it's not like they were a PI generating machine either, but I think we lack some speed out there..... And we couldn't close the door when we needed to on obvious passing downs

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HSVWarEagle said:

Sure! But improvement does not a strong unit make .. I saw good coverage skill and it's not like they were a PI generating machine either, but I think we lack some speed out there..... And we couldn't close the door when we needed to on obvious passing downs

Throughout the season, that aspect was affected by the lack of pass rush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@bigbirdPlease understand, I'm actually very happy with what I saw this year. I saw a team gain their grit back, overcome a tumultuous off-season with a new staff and scheme, and actually play for each other ... When's the last time we didn't see a precipitous dropoff when the backup QB had to come in for more than a series here or there.   I for one am excited about many things!

• Like 2

Just now, HSVWarEagle said:

@bigbirdPlease understand, I'm actually very happy with what I saw this year. I saw a team gain their grit back, overcome a tumultuous off-season with a new staff and scheme, and actually play for each other ... When's the last time we didn't see a precipitous dropoff when the backup QB had to come in for more than a series here or there.   I for one am excited about many things!

Oh I do, I didn't think you were being anyway at all. I agree with everything you stated with exception to the CB comment, and even agree with some of that.. I just think the attitudes towards the secondary were severely misaligned this season. If I came across as curt, my apologies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Oh I do, I didn't think you were being anyway at all. I agree with everything you stated with exception to the CB comment, and even agree with some of that.. I just think the attitudes towards the secondary were severely misaligned this season. If I came across as curt, my apologies.

No worries my friend!, I am a grown up and can engage in a spirited conversation without getting butt hurt.... Who knows... You might even see that I'll actually agree with you in that consistently only rushing 3 did no favors for that crew

Edited by HSVWarEagle
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, HSVWarEagle said:

I am a grown up and can engage in a spirited conversation without getting butt hurt

I wish that was contagious

• Love 1
  • Haha 1