2 point conversion

FUZZYAUFAN

I was hoping Auburn would have went for two after TD in first OT. Would have been okay with losing that way, if attempt failed, vice keep giving BAMA more opportunities to score. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I was hoping Auburn would have went for two after TD in first OT. Would have been okay with losing that way, if attempt failed, vice keep giving BAMA more opportunities to score. 

I said the same thing.  The throwback to the TE would have been perfect there 

• Like 2

I keep seeing/hearing this. Why? Imagine missing it and losing there. Trash. Keep the game going. 

*after further review I believe we should have gone for 2 in the first OT

Edited by woodford

4 minutes ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I was screaming at the TV for Harsin to go for two. I figured we probably had one 2-pt play for a one legged QB but no more. My wife said he wouldn't do it because he caught a lot of heat for going for two in the MSU game. Extending the game only helped UAT. QB play for Saban was at least 3 times better, but we had a chance (maybe better than 50-50 for that one play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I keep seeing/hearing this. Why? Imagine missing it and losing there. Trash. Keep the game going. 

Respectfully disagree.

With our hobbled QB throwing scattered passes, no way we win a battle of OT attrition, especially when it comes down to defending a single 3-yard play over and over.   The TE play would have worked as well then as it did when it was used.  It was our only real chance to win the game at that point.

If it doesnt -  who cares?  Harsin gets credit for being ballsy, and our bowl projection is hurt not a whit.

We really had nothing to lose there - to do what we did was to surrender to the inevitable.  #40s catch was a miracle; should have capitalized on it right there.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Respectfully disagree.

With our hobbled QB throwing scattered passes, no way we win a battle of OT attrition, especially when it comes down to defending a single 3-yard play over and over.   The TE play would have worked as well then as it did when it was used.  It was our only real chance to win the game at that point.

If it doesnt -  who cares?  Harsin gets credit for being ballsy, and our bowl projection is hurt not a whit.

We really had nothing to lose there - to do what we did was to surrender to the inevitable.  #40s catch was a miracle; should have capitalized on it right there.

This is exactly what I said.  I did not like their chances of going back and forth with Bama on the alternating 2 point conversions.  It proved true the 2nd time around.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Play for the tie at home and for the win on the road.   

Under normal circumstances I would agree. However, with a backup QB and PK, go for the win. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other . I see both sides . I go for it due to lack of depth at AU. JMO 

It is easy when you lose and you pull out the would of's....but I thought going for 2 after the first TD would've been a good call...I felt we didn't have enough firepower to go back and forth with them offensively....but of course if it didn't work, we've been screaming about going for it...but that 2 point screen to the TE would have been a 'sweet' play to end the game...

• Like 1

Hell I was expecting the turds to go for two and cone up short. We're trying to win it on D, our lone TD was like "what the hell" so as much as I'm game for going for 2, it's postgame before I come in here and see it's a thing.

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other . I see both sides . I go for it due to lack of depth at AU. JMO 

Good point. After further review I have to agree. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, woodford said:

*after further review I believe we should have gone for 2 in the first OT

I believe you had it right. A loss there would've been excruciating and he would've been eviscerated if it had failed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

I thought about that too and would have been OK with the decision. Harsin would have been depicted as an idiot in this forum by most posters if he went for 2 and lost though. 

I felt like we had to try it. With Finley hurt, it seemed to me we had no chance in the OT. I’m kinda shocked we got the TD we did. 

That’s how I felt. I have no idea what the odds are statistically, given all the things that can happen to mess up OT: a sack, a bad snap, a turnover. But I was pretty sure we wouldn’t get a TD.

We were gassed on D.  TJ was hobbling.  Going for it should have been the call.  Even if you miss it, I think you can easily explain that it was our best shot to win given the injuries and depth.

• Like 1

I kinda expected us to go for two in the first overtime tbh. I'm ok with either decision bcause if we had, and didn't get it, everyone would be saying it was a terrible call. Since we knew it was for the win, I would have done it.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I believe you had it right. A loss there would've been excruciating and he would've been eviscerated if it had failed.

It would have been and you’re 100% right. I keep going back to the odds. TJ was hobbled so go for the throat while you can. But then again it’s a no brainer to tie it up. It’s so difficult. 

Regardless, this game was decided like pretty much every loss since 2015. A not so good OL. Had Auburn gotten 4-5 more first downs at any point in the game I truly believe they win because Alabama would’ve just ran out of time. 

This is a painful loss because Auburn had them on the ropes and completely shut them down. Most painful IB loss in quite some time. 

• Like 1