KD!

LPTiger

I enjoy watching all of our players, but there is something different/special about KD.  To me it is a unique combination of athleticism, instincts, IQ, desire, preparation...   Is there someone on-line from Decatur Georgia that can tell us more about this young man?  Did he just play bball in HS.   I could see him playing on the back end in football and having 6 ints/year or playing catcher and picking off runners right and left or center and making crazy diving catches all over the field.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I enjoy watching all of our players, but there is something different/special about KD.  To me it is a unique combination of athleticism, instincts, IQ, desire, preparation...   Is there someone on-line from Decatur Georgia that can tell us more about this young man?  Did he just play bball in HS.   I could see him playing on the back end in football and having 6 ints/year or playing catcher and picking off runners right and left or center and making crazy diving catches all over the field.

He's built like a big safety, and if he played football the way he plays basketball, then he would be one of those headhunters that could even play some linebacker (a la Daren Bates). I obviously don't mean this as a reference to his former school, but he has a real bulldog mentality for a guard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

He's built like a big safety, and if he played football the way he plays basketball, then he would be one of those headhunters that could even play some linebacker (a la Daren Bates). I obviously don't mean this as a reference to his former school, but he has a real bulldog mentality for a guard.

Especially with Flanigan out, it is huge to have a player like KD that isn't afraid to barrel through traffic and get the ball to the basket. He and Jaylin have had some critical baskets when the 3s weren't falling. It's crazy how many steals KD gets also. 

• Like 1

There's a lot I like about his play; that special burst of speed, clever steals and especially that shot he has perfected when he plows through traffic and banks the ball in as he is falling to the floor.  

When he played for ThUGA last year he worried the devil out of me with the way he constantly harassed our players.  I was thrilled when I heard he was transferring to us.   Glad he's on our side.  Now he's fun to watch.

• Like 1

I'm afraid if he played football every play would have to be reviewed for 'targeting' because heads would be rocked and mouthpieces flying....

Yeah he’s definitely provided some toughness much like Dunbar and others have done in the past. I would say he’s an enforcer but that would be doing a disservice to his athletic ability- he’s got skills too. It’s a real plus to have a guy that can take over when needed and provide that rough edge. 

• Like 1

Dude would pick up Sharife at half court and follow him every which way. Guy was insane as a 2 way player for such a sorry team. this success has been the result of having a nurturing winning environment for a winning player

Also the beautiful part of college ball. No one would say he’s going further in this sport than Jabari, and yet, any given night, this guy can outperform and outshine a potential top 2 pick. Great sport

22 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah he’s definitely provided some toughness much like Dunbar and others have done in the past. I would say he’s an enforcer but that would be doing a disservice to his athletic ability- he’s got skills too. It’s a real plus to have a guy that can take over when needed and provide that rough edge. 

Man excellent point on the toughness he brings to the team.  I don't think i fully appreciated what KD brought to the table when he signed. I knew he would get after it on defense and i thought he would provide some value on offense. Well his defense is better than i expected and his offense is WAY better than i expected. Glad he has been able to establish himself as a key piece while Flan has been out. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
On 11/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, saminbama said:

When he played for ThUGA last year he worried the devil out of me with the way he constantly harassed our players.  I was thrilled when I heard he was transferring to us.   Glad he's on our side.  Now he's fun to watch.

I remember watching him last year as well and I remember thinking at the time that our freshman (Coop) outplayed their freshman but that he was still gonna be a great player. Turns out that was about accurate. Our freshman went pro and theirs is one heck of a player for us now. We won both sides of that coin!

On 11/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, saminbama said:

I stumbled across this article from May where Tom Crean took a cheap shot at KD when he transferred out (among NINE transfers off UGA's roster from last season). In case y'all haven't noticed, Crean is a punk and it will be fun to see if KD has a little extra edge in the two upcoming games with them. I'm about to buy tickets for the game in Athens Feb. 5 - would love to see AU fans take that place over.  

"Given the standards and expectations of Georgia Basketball, we whole-heartedly agree with K.D.'s desire to seek a new program," Crean said in a statement Monday evening. "We certainly wish him the best and really hope he finds success in all areas moving forward."

https://www.onlineathens.com/story/sports/college/bulldogs-extra/2021/05/11/uga-basketballs-second-leading-scorer-latest-transfer-portal/5044742001/

(Fun fact: UGA is currently on a 4-game losing skid and appear well on their way to a record somewhere in the vicinity of 12-20. So my guess is that Crean is canned by March). 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 1